Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What to DO!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to DO!

So my oil pump bolt backed out after putting in my built motor, the motor runs great and drives awesome.

So this is my story, I was leaving a gas station and the car started to make a slight metal on metal noise, didnt think too much of it and was heading home anyways, it was getting worse and worse as driving " i regret not just pulling over but was 1 mile away from my house n it was 20 degrees out ."

by the time i got my house right as i pulled in it sound like marbles in a blender .

i thought a lifter or a rocker in the head came out of place. I took the valve cover off and everything was in place. as i was putting the valve cover back on i saw my serpentine belt 3/4's gone i was like WTF!

after jacking up my car is oil pump pulley was hanging on by a thread and that wreaked my crank pulley also.

I ordered the parts but dont know if that is the only issue, i am thinking in the back of my head maybe the timing belt skipped a tooth also maybe! so that means bent valve and more money and time i dont have right now.

I am fed up and am thinking about just selling my car bec i dont have money to fix anything if it is anything more then the pulleys.

I love my car and my friends say im retarded to sell it but i kind of wanna bec im sick of all this dumb stuff happening and it is my DD and when it is down for a week or two it messes me up bec i need to find rides everywhere.

i built this car 100% myself and bought it stock so all that time and money makes me not wanna sell it

WHAT TO DO!

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Jan 10, 2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If u sell it with a junk motor ur not gonna get much for it... to get some of ur money back ur gonna have to fix it and then at that point keep it...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:54 AM

agree fix it, otherwise you won't get jack
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

You should keep it and fix it. If you try to sell it, your going to have your a** handed to you on a silver platter since it will not be a running car.

You NEVER get the money you put into back out of it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:10 AM

how about i take that troublesome heap off of you for $150? =P i will even pay for the transport!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

if it has a bent valve, ill be happy to sell it for 15k tho. and who ever buys it gets one hell of a deal
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i think you might be confused. the crank pulley has nothing to do with the oil pump pulley. the oil pump pulley is turned by the timing belt. are you saying your crank pulley (harmonic balancer) has backed out and shreaded your serpentine belt which wraps around the power steering, alternator, waterpump?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
i think you might be confused. the crank pulley has nothing to do with the oil pump pulley. the oil pump pulley is turned by the timing belt. are you saying your crank pulley (harmonic balancer) has backed out and shreaded your serpentine belt which wraps around the power steering, alternator, waterpump?
yup you got it, but the oil pulley backed out, and wrecked the crank pulley wheel
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

that does not sound good at all. you forgot to torque the pulley? you have to jam the gears up with it to torque it to spec.. I remember the oil pump pulley is a *****.

So the oil pump pulley backed off and the belt slipped on the actual crank sprocket or crank pulley?

sounds like you didnt put the timing cover back on?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

that does not sound good at all. you forgot to torque the pulley? you have to jam the gears up with it to torque it to spec.. I remember the oil pump pulley is a *****.

So the oil pump pulley backed off and the belt slipped on the actual crank sprocket or crank pulley?

sounds like you didnt put the timing cover back on?
im not sure yet, the oil pulley was still on just very loose/wiggly.

and the timing belt slipping im not sure if it even slipped, but maybe it did therfore my vavles are mostly bent

n yea left the timing belt cover off purple cam gears

and yea the bolt i think i should of lock tight it, but didnt will do this week, just hope the valves are not bent..

before i pulled anything off the timing belt was still tensioned about how i had which gives me hope the belt didnt skip

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Jan 10, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
im not sure yet, the oil pulley was still on just very loose/wiggly.

and the timing belt slipping im not sure if it even slipped, but maybe it did therfore my vavles are mostly bent

n yea left the timing belt cover off purple cam gears
no i mean the lower timing cover. ok so the bolt was loose on the oil pump pulley.. it didnt back out tho right?

if it didnt back out...... then you're referring to the crank pulley not the crank sprocket right? the crank sprocket is the small sprocket that you had to torque the bolt to like 120ft/lbs+ that the timing belt goes around to time the crank.

if you're referring to the crank pulley thats held on by like 4-5 bolts that connects to the crank sprocket that your serpentine belt goes around, and you drove the car with the serpentine belt off the car for a mile then the waterpump was no longer spinning. did you lose power steering?

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jan 10, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

no i mean the lower timing cover. ok so the bolt was loose on the oil pump pulley.. it didnt back out tho right?

if it didnt back out...... then you're referring to the crank pulley not the crank sprocket right? the crank sprocket is the small sprocket that you had to torque the bolt to like 120ft/lbs+ that the timing belt goes around to time the crank.

if you're referring to the crank pulley thats held on by like 4-5 bolts that connects to the crank sprocket that your serpentine belt goes around, and you drove the car with the serpentine belt off the car for a mile then the waterpump was no longer spinning. did you lose power steering?
the lower one timing belt cover, the oil pump pulley made a perfect hole in it.

and yea the crank pulley has 4 bolt i believe. and the serpentine belt was 3/4's gone but power steering ect.. all still worked i was amazed with only a 1/4 there
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:18 PM

It's a NICE EVO you got there, just fix it and keep it!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:29 PM

Did you get it sorted?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
I love my car and my friends say im retarded to sell it but i kind of wanna bec im sick of all this dumb stuff happening and it is my DD and when it is down for a week or two it messes me up bec i need to find rides everywhere.
you could always just buy a beater on craigslist to use as ur DD/back up car if its a common occurrence.