Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does your evo smoke like this?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm runnin e85 on 2.3 and it does the same thing. It's not really smoke I don't think. For the most part it's vapor cuz it's cold out.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:51 AM

Throw some new spark plugs in, run for a while and then look at them. If its burning oil you will be able to tell easily.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your oil and look for leaks, but it looks fine to me for cold day weather.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:37 AM

Thank you guys SO SO much for all the reply's. I really really appreciate it. Just to fill everyone in, I do not have any mods other then a intake air filter and a greddy BOV. And a full 3'' exhaust with stock headers and OEM cat. Now there arent any oil leaks that i know of. Oil was just change and only drove 30 miles on the new oil. Antifreeze level is not going down? And yes i understand its the same method as we breathe in cold whether. What just concerned me was that the white smoke wasn't going away. If its water, which is a very good possibility since the car has been just standing there for a total of 6-7 months, and just starting it up every 3 days, then there is a hect of alot of water in there. I will try the radiator trick and then i will probably take the car for a compression test. I just wanna make sure the car is ok, and wont get worse if something is wrong. I just bought the car 7 months ago and have been slowly working on her. New clutch, Fully repainted all the brembos and the list can go on. Im pretty much trying to restore it to perfect condition. The sad thing is the highest i have had her at was 4k rpms bc of the new clutch. I have to do a 500 mile break in first. So i haven't even tried boost. But yea thats my story.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uaevolancer
Thank you guys SO SO much for all the reply's. I really really appreciate it. Just to fill everyone in, I do not have any mods other then a intake air filter and a greddy BOV. And a full 3'' exhaust with stock headers and OEM cat. Now there arent any oil leaks that i know of. Oil was just change and only drove 30 miles on the new oil. Antifreeze level is not going down? And yes i understand its the same method as we breathe in cold whether. What just concerned me was that the white smoke wasn't going away. If its water, which is a very good possibility since the car has been just standing there for a total of 6-7 months, and just starting it up every 3 days, then there is a hect of alot of water in there. I will try the radiator trick and then i will probably take the car for a compression test. I just wanna make sure the car is ok, and wont get worse if something is wrong. I just bought the car 7 months ago and have been slowly working on her. New clutch, Fully repainted all the brembos and the list can go on. Im pretty much trying to restore it to perfect condition. The sad thing is the highest i have had her at was 4k rpms bc of the new clutch. I have to do a 500 mile break in first. So i haven't even tried boost. But yea thats my story.
Dude go drive the car around warm it up and after its warm drive it like 15 miles it will go away after that I promise. All cars do it. Cars with bigger exhaust have more room for condensation thus long period of time. Idling the car wont make it go away cuz it wont get hot enough. Put your hand by the exhaust on start up im sure you will get water on your hand
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by basm917
yup datz normal..cuz its cold out..ur okay buddy
WTF...no one will take you or your opinion serious with vernacular like that.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you do don't just take somebodies word on here that it's condensation. Do the proper tests and check your fluids for signs of real problems. Once you've ruled out head gasket, rings etc. then rest assured that it's condensation in cold weather situations. It appears that's what you are doing but I thought I would make that clear for others as well.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4xforce
whatever you do don't just take somebodies word on here that it's condensation. Do the proper tests and check your fluids for signs of real problems. Once you've ruled out head gasket, rings etc. Then rest assured that it's condensation in cold weather situations. It appears that's what you are doing but i thought i would make that clear for others as well.
........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turn the car on with the garage door closed- it's hard to tell since it's hitting the air. do it with the garage door closed and let it run for a good 10 mins.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
turn the car on with the garage door closed- it's hard to tell since it's hitting the air. do it with the garage door closed and let it run for a good 10 mins.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by igo4bmx
It's hard to tell if you're joking or not.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alexl08
........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

OP-its because its cold outside man. No worries. Smoke wouldn't dissipate so quickly.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:23 PM

This message comes from Canada. Condensation. haha no worries.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:28 PM

I'm running 3" full and catless. does same thing here
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Here is how you know.
White smoke can indicate that you are burning antifreeze
Black smoke is usually unburned fuel and can generally be associated with running rich
Blue smoke is burning oil

And if you think its head gasket, its easy just look at your oil if its mixed with anifreeze ( light brown color) then its a bad HG.

Quick Reply: Does your evo smoke like this?