Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AEM wideband readings going whacky

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow AEM wideband readings going whacky

I started noticing my AEM wideband giving Whacky readings, sometimes its ok sometimes its fine, car runs the same as normal and there's no way it's really running what it's saying, I found a Bosch 4.2 sensor hooked up to a harness under my pass seat (literally under the seat) which I believe is the same sensor so I might try swapping out the sensor or testing the current sensor like they do on the aem website.

Anybody else have this issue? I've searched and seen others with the same issue but was not resolved. Could it be the controller or most likely the sensor?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how old is the sensor? I had a similar issue with a AEM that was on my 951 I swapped the sensor out for a new one and it solved the problem.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

I honestly don't know, I just bought the car few weeks ago...car had 30k miles on it, and the new motor setup and all the major work has like 5k on it now, so somewhere in between but prob closer towards the 5k..
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

i would buy a new sensor, more than likely thats the problem
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeper04
i would buy a new sensor, more than likely thats the problem
+2

my aem wb did the same, at cruise it would read super lean, the it would just freeze super rich. I put a new sensor, everything fine since.
FYI the original sensor was like only two months old, maybe bad batch?
Gl
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I agree on replacing the sensor. Take the sensor out and inspect it. Can the weather conditions around the car impact the life of the sensor?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

i had my going full lean and rich and other crazy things , turned out my sensor was trash
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Nice, it all seems like the same thing...As long as it's just a sensor and not a bad gauge or controller or something fancy I don't mind and now I'll know how old my sensor is. I'm going to try the sensor I found under my seat as long as it's the same part number and all that and see how that goes
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
before you go spend 80 bucks on a sensor, check it to make sure it is actually the sensor

pull the sensor out of the bung, keep it plugged in, spray a rag with brake cleaner, place the sensor in the rag, and watch the gauge. if it goes rich then goes back to the three dashes, the sensor is bad. if it stays at full rich the whole time, sensor is good
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:02 AM

I kept having the same type of issue and ended up going with the LC1.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
before you go spend 80 bucks on a sensor, check it to make sure it is actually the sensor

pull the sensor out of the bung, keep it plugged in, spray a rag with brake cleaner, place the sensor in the rag, and watch the gauge. if it goes rich then goes back to the three dashes, the sensor is bad. if it stays at full rich the whole time, sensor is good
Thanks Joe, I was going to try that also....also can use the old torch test, that and other ways can be found on youtube

This is the link from AEM on how to test it the brake clean rag way in case someone finds this in a search and wants to know how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mb4VmDd0ao

I'm cheap so I'm going to test it and swap out my other sensor first before I buy anymore sensors
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oneofakindtrini
I agree on replacing the sensor. Take the sensor out and inspect it. Can the weather conditions around the car impact the life of the sensor?
Not totally sure about that but the sensors have an air sample tube like a vent and if it gets clogged or at least with the old style narrowband if you sprayed brake cleaner around the vent just the fumes of it it could damage it internally, also using crappy silicone supposedly can harm them, and E85 and probably meth has a role in it but not totally sure.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your sensor is mounted downward( 8 oclock to 4 oclock) on the pipe, it can shorten the life of the sensor.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
if your sensor is mounted downward( 8 oclock to 4 oclock) on the pipe, it can shorten the life of the sensor.
Correct, thats mainly because of any condensation which cant really build up there since its at the top of the exhaust where if there was some it would drip down and lay at the bottom of the downpipe but yeah for any other spots it deff should be done.

Mine is pointed down, as in the wires are pointing up and the sensor is at the top of the pipe, where it should be

Last edited by My03evo; Jan 23, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to steal ur thread but this happened to me as well. At first it seemed like it would bounce around not reading anything. Now the gauge doesn move. It stays at 14.9. Is this a symptom when the sensor goes completely out or somethin else?

Quick Reply: AEM wideband readings going whacky