Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reverse Lights Not Working? It's Probably the Backup Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MJ23FE - Did you have difficulty getting into reverse before you replaced the switch? Or was it just that the reverse lights didn't come on?

I am having intermittent difficulty getting into reverse and I have a newly rebuilt sheptrans tranny. Just wanted to see if if your issue lined up with the comment on the sheptrans FAQ.

"After my rebuild I can't get my car into reverse but will go into 1st through 5th?
The most common problem is that the reverse light switch is over tightened or missing the washer underneath the switch. Simply remove the switch and replace the washer. "

Did you have a washer, or did you also replace with a washer?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. No issues getting into reverse, and no washer was used.

That's poopy that you're having that issue, though. Hit up Shep and see what he says.

-Jalal
Old Apr 2, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sheptrans responded right away with suggestions to troubleshoot. I had a buddy come over and shift while I was under hood. Looks like the upper IC and hoses sagged a bit with my IM and TB work noted in other threads. This cause the shift linkage that needs to raise up for reverse to just barely touch the bottom of the Uturn hose to the recirc valve.

For those that have the stock path for the upper IC, this won't make much sense but the aftermarket ones that require mini battery or battery relocation get close to the space for the shift linkages on top of the trans. I had just completely thorough boost leak testing and all the clamping and removal and retightening somehow shifted the height of the hoses just a 1/4 inch. Enough to physically block out reverse. Resolved the easy way. Cut 1/2 inch of the Uturn hose to the recirc valve.

I figured something didn't match, because when it did go in, it was fine, and the reverse lights came on as they should. So from these threads I learned to check for pennies in the in cab linkage, and check your hoses for sag.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

How much was the sensor? I have this problem so i will pick one up one of these days
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fireroasted
Sheptrans responded right away with suggestions to troubleshoot. I had a buddy come over and shift while I was under hood. Looks like the upper IC and hoses sagged a bit with my IM and TB work noted in other threads. This cause the shift linkage that needs to raise up for reverse to just barely touch the bottom of the Uturn hose to the recirc valve.

For those that have the stock path for the upper IC, this won't make much sense but the aftermarket ones that require mini battery or battery relocation get close to the space for the shift linkages on top of the trans. I had just completely thorough boost leak testing and all the clamping and removal and retightening somehow shifted the height of the hoses just a 1/4 inch. Enough to physically block out reverse. Resolved the easy way. Cut 1/2 inch of the Uturn hose to the recirc valve.

I figured something didn't match, because when it did go in, it was fine, and the reverse lights came on as they should. So from these threads I learned to check for pennies in the in cab linkage, and check your hoses for sag.
I had this exact same thing happen to me before. I shortened the recirc hose and was good to go.

Originally Posted by vinNybXx
How much was the sensor? I have this problem so i will pick one up one of these days
Don't remember off hand. Type in the part number into the Mitsubishiparts.net site and check it out.

-Jalal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome thread MJ23FE, BUT please note that this back up light switch is only for a MR (6 Speed) Transmission. I bought it and am pretty upset that I had to buy another switch. So I have an extra MR backup light switch for sale if anyone needs one.

EVO IX's
MR (6 Speed) - MN132387
SE/GSR - (5 Speed) - MD730979
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cversoza
Awesome thread MJ23FE, BUT please note that this back up light switch is only for a MR (6 Speed) Transmission. I bought it and am pretty upset that I had to buy another switch. So I have an extra MR backup light switch for sale if anyone needs one.

EVO IX's
MR (6 Speed) - MN132387
SE/GSR - (5 Speed) - MD730979
Sorry dude! I should have clarified that. :-/
The screen shot of the service manual was for the 6-speed but I should have noted it.

I'd make a post in the for sale section to sell your 6-speed sensor.

-Jalal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:14 PM

What tool did to guys use? There isn't much space to work with.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b00st3d.
What tool did to guys use? There isn't much space to work with.
Unplug the sensor and use either a ratchet wrench or an adjustable wrench. I believe it's either a 10mm, 11mm or 12mm. I forget.

-Jalal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Diagnosis/Troubleshooting/backup light switch/EVOVIII

That is great this fixed it! I would like to extend a hand to anyone about what you should look at so no one throws random parts on the car, fuses, bulbs, and/or tearing apart your car trying to find an open or short.

The reverse switch is a momentary switch. What does this mean? When you have it in your hand you push the ball in and it closes the circuit and allows the current to flow through the circuit. When you let go of the ball, it opens the circuit and does not allow current to flow. On the car when the car is shifted into reverse the arm in the gearbox presses up, closing the circuit and allowing the current to flow.

Testing:

What makes you a technician, and what makes you a mechanic? Difference is knowing what you're doing, not guessing and hoping what may look bad is the real issue, but testing and having results that allow you to prove why something is inoperative.

Step 1.) Remove the reverse switch from your transmission. This will require a multimeter, which most people have some type, it does not need to be expensive at all, basic functions like continuity, volts, ohms, amps, etc. are fine.

Switch your multimeter to the continuity position. The reverse light switch has two terminals, take the read lead and place it on one terminal, take the black lead and place it on the other terminal. Press the switch in, if your meter beeps, this means your switch is good, and the contacts inside of it are doing their job allows the current to flow when the shifter is in reverse. Some meters may have a display that reads something instead of beeping.

Hope this helps a little bit to diagnosis a reverse light switch.

Eathen

Last edited by EVOEvolved; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uzumaki (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine went out a few months ago...I've just been too lazy to change it out. I may call and order from the local dealer today. It's annoying when nobody knows when I want to back up.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Sorry dude! I should have clarified that. :-/
The screen shot of the service manual was for the 6-speed but I should have noted it.

I'd make a post in the for sale section to sell your 6-speed sensor.

-Jalal

Not your fault at all. I appreciate the write up. I just did notice in the original post that you did say "Different part number for the 5 speed". I was so quick to buy and resolve the problem I didn't notice till I got the switch. LOL. Thanks again for the awesome write up. For some reason they won't let me post in the marketplace yet, but I have it posted on the TSE forums.

Last edited by cversoza; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished typing reply.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
Mine went out a few months ago...I've just been too lazy to change it out. I may call and order from the local dealer today. It's annoying when nobody knows when I want to back up.
If you need one I have one for sale, BUT it is for a MR (6 Speed). Let me know I can ship it out as early as tomorrow or Friday because of the holiday. I have it posted in a TSE forum because they won't let me post here. I guess I don't have enough posts or something. If you need to contact me, my email is cversoza@gmail.com or hit me up @ 5169243783.

Last edited by cversoza; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:26 AM

This is what the part number is and what it looks like for the 5 Speed.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:06 PM

I just replaced mine today (VIII 5 speed). Two things good to know is there is a washer that's needed that will likely stick to the old sensor so make sure you reuse that or you won't be able to shift into reverse or 5th. Also don't over tighten or you will have the same problem. Before you put everything back together make sure to check if you can still shift normal. I didn't notice the washer till after I put everything back together and tried to shift, I figured I over tightened it so backed it off but still couldn't shift, I took a look and noticed the washer and put it on and it worked perfect. I did however slightly damage the sensor when attempting to shift into reverse without the washer. I couldn't find torque specs so I just hand tightened then a 1/8 of a turn with a rachet. If I don't have an issue with it coming loose I won't post again, but will post if I do. I'll check it in a week and see if its still good.

Quick Reply: Reverse Lights Not Working? It's Probably the Backup Light Switch