Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 oil leak from lower crank area.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ in order to not have to pull everything apart again. The gasket does not cost much. may as well.

After I pulled the crank sprocket and shield off it was very clean behind it so I highly doubt it was the crank seal. But replacing it I am just to avoid the possibility

You may be very right.

Last edited by allday10sec; Feb 6, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i took the upper and lower covers off and am ready to pull the timimg belt but i still cant locate the leak?.. i dunno, anybody got a match! anyway, good luck with your leak. didnt want to hijack your thread.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:31 PM

allday10sec,

Updates...? What happened?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:36 AM

after pulling everything apart, then running the car for a minute to build oil pressure through the leak, found it. it was the seal behind the oil pump sprocket. had to pull the timing belt, then install a 6" 1/4 extension in the block plug behind the turbo to hold the balance shaft in place. removed the sprocket and swapped the seal out. done. sidenote, the sprocket was cracked too? had to replace. not sure what happened there..... oh well
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:54 AM

Sounds like another good diy for the forum, and it's members. probably too late now sounds like you have it all buttoned back up already.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:13 PM

allday10sec,

Updates? What happened with your leak?

Oily fingers and minds would like to know...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Any pics of that seal you're talking about?
Old May 9, 2014, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokebomb
im having the same problem but mine made a terrible grinding noise before the leak started. now its not driveable and im stumped as to it where to start. leaking from same area. runs fine but oil wont stay in motor! haha good luck

Curious if the grinding noise ended up being your oil pump wallowing out itself and the housing.

Originally Posted by smokebomb
after pulling everything apart, then running the car for a minute to build oil pressure through the leak, found it. it was the seal behind the oil pump sprocket. had to pull the timing belt, then install a 6" 1/4 extension in the block plug behind the turbo to hold the balance shaft in place. removed the sprocket and swapped the seal out. done. sidenote, the sprocket was cracked too? had to replace. not sure what happened there..... oh well

Has it held together since? The crack in the gear sounds odd.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

he never responded if he got it fixed. hate when people do this... they ask for help, and then they disappear once the problem is fixed, not sharing with others...

im dealing with the same problem right now, getting oil leaking from behind the lower timing cover. I have a brand new oil front case with new gasket and put a thin layer or rtv sealer on both sides of the gasket. I had the oil shafts rtv sealed and top left plugged with rtv sealer and jb weld. And the crank and oil seal havent been touched since it came put in brand new. Oil filter housing is also with new gasket and rtv sealer.... thought its that main bolt on the left but i've re sealed it twice now and still leaks... gonna take it apart again today, but this is driving me insane since taking that stuff apart is a pita.

timing belt tensioner bolts have seal on them already and torqued to spec, and didnt seem like it had any oil around it anyways so i doubt thats my problem.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

cleaned everything with brake cleaner, warmed up the car, and found my leak, which is from the bolt in the oil front case on the left.(balance shaft eliminate)

Even though i had rtv sealer on it, it still leaked. I removed the bolt, added a washer, and some thread tape with more rtv sealer and letting it dry over the next 24 hours. I'll run the car again with the timing cover off and keep engine rev'd and see if it's solid.

http://www.4g63turbo.com/tech/images...front-case.jpg

The few area's that it can possibly leak as stated by a few members.
-balance shaft pulley bolt on the mid left.
-auto timing belt tensioner bolts
-balance shaft plug
-castle plug
-crank pulley seal
-oil sprocket seal

Hope this helps others.

Dave
Old Jul 1, 2014, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome! Thanks for the report and info. After replacing all the timing components I ran it with covers off, until hot, and of course had no leaks. Not sure where the build up came from before.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Unfortunately I too am experiencing a similar oil leak. I started a thread a while back and posted pictures so I will have to dig them up.

Dave- any chance you could snap a photo of the specific bolt that was leaking? Is it that one in the corner on the picture you linked?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Unfortunately I too am experiencing a similar oil leak. I started a thread a while back and posted pictures so I will have to dig them up.

Dave- any chance you could snap a photo of the specific bolt that was leaking? Is it that one in the corner on the picture you linked?
the picture that i posted, there is two arrows in it. the grey arrow pointing to that middle bolt area on the left is where the bolt goes through to the oil galley.

im experiencing another leak, but unsure at the moment. ran out of time today, but will be cleaning engine with brake cleaner and start the car till its warm.

Once car's warmed up, its nice to have someone keep the motor rev'd up so the oil pressure can go up (goes to about 100+ vs 40ish idling). So ill be looking for my 2nd leak source tomorrow and ill keep this posted for future reference.

Dave
Old Jul 4, 2014, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

any updates on the leak. I have a friend that has oil leak from the area of the water pump and timing belt. he is going to work with it tomorrow. Good luck with your leak.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oscarquinones
any updates on the leak. I have a friend that has oil leak from the area of the water pump and timing belt. he is going to work with it tomorrow. Good luck with your leak.
No more leaks. The first one that I fixed earlier was from the mid bolt on the left(if you delete your balance shaft pulley). And the second leak I fixed yesterday was my crank oil seal. Mitsubishi design of the front case isn't so genius. Had to remove oil pan and everything around it, to reposition the oil front case. Because even though it's held by 8 bolts it has room to our around(before tightening of course).
So removed front case. Cleaned up. Revealed with red, repositioned correctly so the seal sits even around the crank. Reassembled. And 0 leaks now.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 oil leak from lower crank area.