Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Do you have interior rattles in your evo?
no
13.55%
1-2
58.73%
3-5
16.63%
5+
11.09%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles & Squeaks Inside Your Evo [ALL THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2004, 06:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...the seat rattle.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:08 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by CJK
anyone know how to fix the under neath the front seat rattle?
I'm trying to find out. I'll post here when I find something .
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

sometimes i get a rattle from my windshield and sometime from my rear window, but never at the same time. , but always coming from the passanger side of the car.

anyway the easy fix for all rattles is turn that little knob on the radio to the right and all rattles magically go away.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

ya i should of added buzzing grinding vibrating shaking noise..lol seems like everyone i talk to has the steering wheel issue, i have a feeling this is gonna be a problem a few years down the road, but hopefully it will be all good
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NYEVO8

anyway the easy fix for all rattles is turn that little knob on the radio to the right and all rattles magically go away.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:31 PM

rattling sound in EVO?

Hey everyone, I got my EVO about a week ago and about 5 days ago i noticed that when im driving in any gear, and i let go of the gas, i hear a rattling sound like nails in a tin can. Is there something wrong here? Im new with a stick so i dunno if i F*ed it up. Also, i notice that i have to shift gears really quickly and usually end up in 4th gear when just driving around town around 40-50 mph, and my friend said i should stay in 3rd at most unless im on the highway. Any info would be appreciated, thanks guys

RAJ
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:36 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Raj, do a search and you'll find that's a common issue and nothing to worry about unless it starts getting louder.

edit:
gear shifting is normal too on the Evo. I find myself driving in 5th all the time because otherwise it's just too noisy
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:40 PM

phew, thanks for the quick post man, at least it is a common issue. I thought i messed it up already and i got no $ left for repairs after buyin the car!
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:43 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Yeah, I had a same question few months ago
It sounds exactly like when you tie a bunch of cans and pull them behind the car only this is coming from the driver side of the engine bay.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

evo makes all kinds of noises, just so stiff, have you expierenced the steering wheel almost vibrating outta your hands?
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:18 PM

not in my hands but when at a stop and stayin in 1st, the steering wheel shakes like mad so i just press the clutch as hard as possible and it stops. Plus, do u guys notice the car wanting u to shift at around 3k RPM, cos mine tells me to shift and it seems im shifting too soon but the engine "calms down" when i do, so whatever works eh?
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same exact problem you explained.....that is why my transmition is being rebuilt right now as we speak, at the local dealer ship, (for the second time) 1. time is was the 2nd gear cyncro, noe this time it is one of the bearings inside the tranny. Good luck with this. It takes them almost a week to take it off, take it apart, figure out what is wrong, order the parts, and then put it back together, then in the car. ALL this is under warranty !

Talal.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:56 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bluebyyoufla
not in my hands but when at a stop and stayin in 1st, the steering wheel shakes like mad so i just press the clutch as hard as possible and it stops. Plus, do u guys notice the car wanting u to shift at around 3k RPM, cos mine tells me to shift and it seems im shifting too soon but the engine "calms down" when i do, so whatever works eh?
How does it tell you to shift? I take mine to redline regularly and it loves it. Also, you can cruise round in 3rd if you like but you'll have ****ty gas mileage. 4th is fine for 30 mph (5th works too) so don't listen to your friends as they're wrong.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation Evo Rattle Poll

My car only has 1100 miles on it, and has nine different CONSISTENT rattles. They are there every time I drive my car. I have one by the drivers side window switches, drivers side seat belt, drivers side headliner, beneath steering wheel, glove compartment, center roof by lights, passenger door somewhere, passenger seat belt, and one by the cup holders. Is this normal? It seems like every time I start the car I have a new rattle. The list of problems my car has at 1100 miles is now the following:

clutch pedal vibe
horribly rough idle (can't see out rear view it's so bad)
1st, 2nd, and 5th gear grinds
mild piston slap
noisy tob
steering wheel shake
decel noise and clunk

and to top it all off my car is slower than other stock evos I've driven

Anyway, as far as the rattles, is this normal or was I once again blessed with a problem at 1100 miles thanks to my lemon car, which was probably put together by a disgruntled Japanese worker.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 06:41 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

My rattles come and go. I didn't have any until yesterday
Car has 2000 miles on it.
I heard one from the liner above my head and one in the back somewhere.
During winter when it was freezing cold there was some but I don't count those, that's normal when the plastic is cold.

Quick Reply: Rattles & Squeaks Inside Your Evo [ALL THREADS MERGED]