Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some good advice..pls help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some good advice..pls help

hey guys i need some advice on a situation im in. To keep a long story short, I had a ACT HDSS clutch installed in TX by a good respectable shop ( i'm keeping the name of the shop discreet right now). Well I moved back to ca and a few months later i ran my car and something went POP! so I took it to a well known, shop around here to get a build done to it. A few months past and the car was just almost complete and i get a call from the shop saying they were wondering what clutch I had. I told them it was an ACT and then replied there was no ACT clutch in my transmission. Only a black oem look a like! So i call the shop in texas and told him what i just found out and he stated he put in the right clutch i paid for and was willing to send me the reciepts for when he purchased the clutch for my car.

I dont know what to do? My build is on hold until i figure this out. I dont want to pay for another clutch that i had already paid for. I basically want to know who is lying to me. because of this situation im being paranoid about the work being done at the other shop now. what if its the shop in ca is lying to me? then how do i know if the parts that he installed in my motor are what he said. Does anyone have any good advice, tips for me to do?I NEED HELP!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a sticky situation. pretty much screwed.

no way for you to know who, if anyone, is lying.

you should ask what markings are on the clutch. there should be something on the pressure plate or clutch disks
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:54 PM

yeah im screwed. I tried to look for a serial number but there was none on the clutch.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Are you located in nor cal? If so, if you took it to either fftec, speed element, or even gst... I would believe they told ya the truth. Anyway you are in a sticky situation since you can't prove who is lying.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:02 AM

I guess a good question to ask your self is how stock did the clutch fell to u after u got the car back from the.shop in tx. Would think that clutch is a tad bit stiffer than stock
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:18 AM

There was a lil difference. Not a stock feel tho.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:20 PM

Dude, this is one of my worst fears when having something done to my car. Goodluck getting it sorted out. Ive had a few things similiar to this and all I can say is that they have been expesive mistakes. I learned though, and regardless of who is doing the work now, I make sure that things are checked over prior to me leaving.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:39 PM

thanks bro. Im stressing over this. My plan is probably just to see reciepts from the the shop in ca to prove that he bought the parts i requested. thats the only thing i can think of besides taking it back apart but thats gonna cost more money.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

here is my question to you...so you got your clutch replaced at this shop in TX and now a shop in cali is saying that its stock didnt the shop from TX give you your oem clutch back? If they didnt why?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by L@Ncer06
here is my question to you...so you got your clutch replaced at this shop in TX and now a shop in cali is saying that its stock didnt the shop from TX give you your oem clutch back? If they didnt why?
no they didnt give me back my stock clutch back because my stock clutch was slipping like crazy so i never thought about asking for it.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:12 PM

here something i thought was weird though. I went to the shop yesterday and asked if i could see my old stock oem internals and the shop owner said he threw them away. His answer to that was he always throws away the oem parts after a build. Isnt that odd?? wouldnt you as a owner of a shop ask the customer if he wanted his old parts before he threw them away?? his reply was why would you wanna keep your pistons when they been hammered out? I never removed pistons before but I would think if you had to hammer them out wouldnt you use a rubber mallet instead of a metal one?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blkmamba
here something i thought was weird though. I went to the shop yesterday and asked if i could see my old stock oem internals and the shop owner said he threw them away. His answer to that was he always throws away the oem parts after a build. Isnt that odd?? wouldnt you as a owner of a shop ask the customer if he wanted his old parts before he threw them away?? his reply was why would you wanna keep your pistons when they been hammered out? I never removed pistons before but I would think if you had to hammer them out wouldnt you use a rubber mallet instead of a metal one?
yeah bro thats not right and even if they did hammer them out its still your property so they have no right to throw them away thats a bit shady to me the truth will always come out one way or another
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:34 PM

thats what im saying. Little things like that makes it suspicious.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get my car outta that shop as soon as possible If I were you Take some pictures of the clutch in question and post them up before he throws that away too lol .
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:57 PM

that's why i ask for the parts that they replace whenever i go to a shop so i know that its being done right.

Quick Reply: Need some good advice..pls help