Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea itll be kind of hard to find any evo that hasn't been beaten or modded. But they are still out there just got to look .yea you can't go wrong with any evo 9 its pretty much all preference.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo IX MR is a great car, but if you plan to take the horsepower over 400 whp you are very likely to break the OEM 6-spd. I broke mine pretty easily with no launches or drag racing. I replaced it with a Shep stage 2 5-spd swap and couldn't be happier.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

get the gsr, the sixth gear is pointless, and the vortex generator as well, for as much money as they tack on for the mr over the gsr, imo is not worth it, unless you just want an mr that bad, but if you dont mind rollin down your windows manually all the time then the rs is for you
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Evo IX MR is a great car, but if you plan to take the horsepower over 400 whp you are very likely to break the OEM 6-spd. I broke mine pretty easily with no launches or drag racing. I replaced it with a Shep stage 2 5-spd swap and couldn't be happier.
broke that quick without even launching it? How I thought they were stronger than that. Yeah you guys took me off the MR.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Lot of people have 400+awp and no tranny issues. If you're going to DD i'd recommend MR... always hear about people liking the xtra gear after trying the 6spd vs the 5spd.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

I like my MR and I do hpde's with 360whp on a mustang dyno and have not had tranny issues, just make sure to change the fluid more often.

Also you do not need a defouler / cel fix, my tuner was able to just disable the rear 02 sensor.

as far as stock suspension goes the bilsteins are fantastic, they are noticeably better then the GSR's kyb's over bumps both in ride quality and traction, but you can always just buy some bilsteins for your gsr.

the stock ECU is all that you'll ever need for tuning.

don't get a BOV, but don't worry I'm a ricer and like the sound too and as soon as you get an intake you will be able to hear your stock bov sounds, its louder then you may think.

Last edited by Montu; Apr 13, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:46 AM

Do the SE come with the Bilsten or the KYB? I found one all the way in PA im from MN, it has 17K for miles but they are asking 28k for the car. Complete stock but I think that is still a little much for that car.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoleader88
no power window, no sun roof, aluminum roof, no spoiler, no cd player but u can add, sum doesnt even come with AC
You can also add hallowed out door panels with no sound insulation to save weight, no OEM radio (but there was an option to add it at the dealer), no rear trunk carpeting, rear trunk strut bar, no rear window wiper and plug delete, aluminum fenders and hood (MR also has this). They also came from the factory with A/C. The weight savings are huge if you're into that kind of stuff.

I ended up doing an OEM power window and power lock conversion to my front doors, because I felt I needed them as well as the OEM radio, other than that everything else isn't really necessary. Well of course if you don't mind the loud sounds from the inside. :P
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608
Do the SE come with the Bilsten or the KYB? I found one all the way in PA im from MN, it has 17K for miles but they are asking 28k for the car. Complete stock but I think that is still a little much for that car.
* Standard GSR - revised 5-speed, standard model
* RS - ralli sport, revised 5-speed, aluminum roof, hood and front fenders, gauge pack, minimal interior, also no radio
* SE - Special Edition, aluminum roof/hood, and front fenders, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels in "diamond black" finish, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, red-stitched Recaro seats
* MR - 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels, aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders, gauge pack, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, vortex generator, and custom MR badging.

All of the American models are the same in power, but may differ in performance. The only thing that sets them apart is the Evo RS, which is lighter than the MR and SE models.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608

Perrin full intake seems to do the best in the intake shootout but also read somewhere that some intakes have problems with idling. Will the Perrin intake do this. No. All you need is a maf adapter and a filter. If you run stock ecu, stock maf and stock turbo, DEFINITELY keep the stock intake pipe.

I tried to find their exhaust but for some reason I cant find it on their website

Test pipe is a must. But it will most likely throw a cel, so do you guys do a defouler trick or is there a way to not go that route. You can be reflashed to fix this from a tuner.

manual boost control and boost gauge: would I need these if I dont plan on changing the boost? if I should change the boost can i get a reason why? Consult your tuner for boost control methods, if he likes, ECU controlled boost is great.

Is the Walboro full pump needed if Im just doing these breather mods? NO. Do not buy a fuel pump on a 9 with basic mods, period.

Also would I need to buy a AEM EMS for tuning? if not that brand please recommend a good brand. All you need is a taxtrix tuning cable, a laptop, evoscan and an online tuner, OR you can take the car directly to a tuner and not buy any of the equipment.

Would I need a turbo timer for the stock turbo? I never owned a turboed car before. Not really. Turbo timers are overblown, just don't shut your car off immediately after a hard run. Let the car idle when you stop for 5-10 seconds and then turn it off. Not a big deal

Lower intercooler piping seems to have gains, I dont know any so what is a good one without costing an arm and leg? Decent mod, ETS has a nice solution but I don't know if they make it in aluminum which is optimal for intercooler pipes.

BOV? I heard it was a big no but the ricer inside me loves the sound. Crush the stock one a little in a vice. Will hold more boost that way.
Responses in bold.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey TyFoxx,

Once you get your car lined out, you do have a good shop in your backyard. Check out MA Performance when it comes time to start looking at upgrading.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Boltz,

just curious why not buy a fuel pump?

I found that after only a few basic mods a fuel pump is needed, I've yet to see an evo modded so lightly that it has a stock fuel pump
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Responses in bold.
Thank you for taking your time and answering those. Cleared up a lot of stuff.

Originally Posted by DeatschWerks
Hey TyFoxx,

Once you get your car lined out, you do have a good shop in your backyard. Check out MA Performance when it comes time to start looking at upgrading.
Yes I been there. I bought my swift springs from there. Maperformance is really good also DB where I got my S2000 tuned (hate buying 1000 ecu for hondas) they had a 1000awhp evo and another one with 800awhp
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Montu
Boltz,

just curious why not buy a fuel pump?

I found that after only a few basic mods a fuel pump is needed, I've yet to see an evo modded so lightly that it has a stock fuel pump
Because, the IX fuel pump is higher flowing than the VIII pump. A mildly modded IX, say TBE/MBC/tune running relatively low boost, just doesn't need the extra capacity.

OP, take a close look at Boltz's reply.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

^ I have a 9 and I know that on my first tune I may not have needed it but why advise a new comer not to get a 89 dollar item that almost everyone ends up needing?

OP. get the fuel pump if you have plans down the road.

Quick Reply: Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?