Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr!!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

MR of course. I wish I can get a MR, they're out of my price range
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by HN7
MR of course. I wish I can get a MR, they're out of my price range
i was only asking $15K for mine.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:33 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i was only asking $15K for mine.
Yeah, I think I remember your thread. I was just lurking back then and wasn't ready to buy an EVO until now. I would have definitely buy yours.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:35 AM

Ok finally got one here in my state MN. Just picked it up today and after a long day dealing with the dealership I got side tracked and didnt pay too much attention to the car besides the test drive. But my first impressions are after coming from

3 civics
1 integra
1 rsx
1 s2k

WOW TORQUE

why cant i make U turns lmao

It has been modded but dont know much about it. Should I make another thread?

It has works coilovers? It is yellow and I believe the springs are blue in color

autometer gauges boost egt temp and oil temp

oil temp doesnt work where should I look to see where the problem is

boost on hwy 70 mph and flooring in 6 went up to 23 for a quick sec but dropped down to 18 and stayed there?

egt temp is on 13 on the whole ride back which was an hour drive is that where it should be?

dont know what kind of exhaust but gotta look more into it when I have the chance

some kind of drop in filter

Aluminum looking UICP but red LICP?

AC button is weird gotta push it a lot of times and different speed to get it to turn on and off. lose connection?

Service engine light flashed twice when flooring it in 6th gear at 70mph and a couple more times on 1st gear both under wot. Is it a knock indicator? I think the car needs a retune.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you take a under hood shot and post it!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

well my ac button is the same way lol its a mitsu, so forget about honda quality but be forwarned buying a used modified car, first things first, take it to mitusbichi and have them do an inspection on the clutch and belts if you don't have a reputable shop around and always get a tune yourself.. even with a well taken care of car make sure you get a decent tune just to be safe and check your compression..
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Dam I'm in the same boat lol...I'm currently in the process of selling my s2k and looking at which evo to buy...hopefully you find a good one in your price range...good luck..
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:06 AM

evo 9 gsr if your gonna mod your car if not then go with a mr
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
i'll put my replies in bold for you. first.. if you're gonna get an MR, get a IX. i'd recommend a IX GSR over an VIII MR. the reason being: MIVEC. MIVEC owns. anyway:

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608

Ok finally got one here in my state MN. Just picked it up today and after a long day dealing with the dealership I got side tracked and didnt pay too much attention to the car besides the test drive. But my first impressions are after coming from

3 civics
1 integra
1 rsx
1 s2k

WOW TORQUE

yes. 2.0L and a small turbo. the torque is great. i always had more tq than hp

you get used to it. it's not THAT bad, but not like a Honda, that's for sure.

those are all awesome gauges to have.

boost on hwy 70 mph and flooring in 6 went up to 23 for a quick sec but dropped down to 18 and stayed there?

evos just do that. mine used to the exact same thing. i had a MBC set to 23psi but it would drop to 18-19psi

dont know what kind of exhaust but gotta look more into it when I have the chance

i'm gonna assume it's a full 3". if not, you're probably gonna wanna swap it out at some time.

paper or foam? some foam filters use too much oil and damage the MAF

those are great. especially the LICP. the stock LICP is JUNK

Service engine light flashed twice when flooring it in 6th gear at 70mph and a couple more times on 1st gear both under wot. Is it a knock indicator? I think the car needs a retune.

ECUFlash does that to indicate knock. a slow flash means less knock than a fast flash. how much knock depends on the settings of the tune. it could be set to flash at ANY amount of knock, or it could be set high and this car has a crazy amount. hard to say. there is also false knock, so...
betwen the EGT gauge, the suspected ECUFlash program, and the boost it's running, it's been modded and tuned. how well? i dunno.

if it were me, i'd pull the program off the ECU and email it to my tuner to see if it's any good. if you have those resources, it would be a GREAT idea.
any time i buy a car, i take my compression gauge. i do compression checks on all cars i buy.
i'm assuming someone added a cat. it may or may not have been tuned for that. all this is just guessing, as who knows what's up with the tune.

VIIIs are good cars. if you don't mind the look of the front bumper (LOL. inside joke) and don't mine adding cam gears, you can get decent peak power.
but MIVEC is the s#!t, as you get peak tq and hp along the ENTIRE power band. now, if you you just want an evo to have an evo because how fun they are to drive, etc, i wouldn't worry about it. not everyone cares about extracting every single bit of hp/tq they can get.
if you are going to buy an VIII, you may as well save a bit of cash and get a GSR. just an opinion, though.
in the end, get what you like. it's YOUR car. i didn't buy my current car because anyone else liked it. in fact, everyone things i'm a little crazy. LOL

good luck, man!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shifthard
Glad to help. Best advice I can give. Take your time picking out a car. Don't be afraid to walk away from a car. Make sure you check out the car very carefully. Good luck.
take your time,
Old May 1, 2011, 05:12 PM

I sold my 515whp s2k and bought an 06 evo 9 5 speed, and absolutly love the evo.. But I do miss the s2k
Old May 6, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608

3 civics
1 integra
1 rsx
1 s2k

WOW TORQUE

It has been modded but dont know much about it. Should I make another thread?

It has works coilovers? It is yellow and I believe the springs are blue in color

oil temp doesnt work where should I look to see where the problem is

egt temp is on 13 on the whole ride back which was an hour drive is that where it should be?

AC button is weird gotta push it a lot of times and different speed to get it to turn on and off. lose connection?

damn man how the hell did you find a evo 8 mr? sweet car very clean. hope you get her running right but definitely get her checked out like every one said including the tranny too maybe get the fluids changed it is a mr and you have to take real good care of that tranny
Old May 6, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post more pics of the car. we can help you identify the mods.