Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Newbie Needs Scoop on 2010 MR Touring

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Needs Scoop on 2010 MR Touring

Currently driving a Volvo S60R modded to about 340HP. It is now out of warranty though and I don't trust European makes to be low maintenance. I've owned lots of cars and my actual favorite was my 1995 3000GT VR4. Coincidentally see you've been talking about the car here. It's a totally different car, more of a Grand Touring car due to the weight. What a fun car - incredible engineering for back then. The Volvo comes close but doesn't have that glued to the road feel the VR4 did. Too bad they didn't make a new version.

Not looking to be like everyone else driving a 3-series BMW but the 300HP twin turbo AWD 335ix is on my short list. I'm concerned I'm going to miss the luxury feel and amenities of the Acura's, Lexus', and Volvo I've owned. But I like high performance sedans (have two small kids so 4-doors is very useful.)

Other car on my short list if of course Infinity G37S AWD. Bland styling though and no 60/40 folding rear seats. And you can't get the big brakes if you get the 7-speed Auto.

Audi S4 out of my price range. Really would like something with a dual-clutch transmission though. I drive a manual now but want the best of both worlds with the dual clutch auto shift for easier in-city driving.

Even though I like Japanese cars the best, so far, due to their low-maintenance and good build quality (but always like to try something different), I've strayed away from the 'rice burners' up until now as they aren't really my personality. I'm 40 and I've grown to like high quality fit and finish with luxury amenities of the luxury sport sedans, but money is tight this time around. I know those ridiculous big wings on the back are targeted at a certain audience and I appreciate them for that but not for me. To each their own.

So I just discovered the Evo MR Touring which appears Mitsu is finally saying hello to MY segment of drivers! They got rid of that big wing, and added my must-have heated seats and it even has a dual-clutch transmission and rain sensing wipers and it sounds like a techno marvel handling wise! Question is, does it still feel 'ricey' inside as I hear aside from the seats and a few other things (steering wheel) the basic interior materials are the same as a regular Lancer and I can't imagine that being anywhere close to a BMW 335, Lexus IS, or Audi (of course no one beats the Audi interiors - but you pay through the nose for it.)

A few questions that the Mitsu site didn't indicate. Maybe some of you Evo enthusiasts familiar with the '10 MR model can help me out?

Is there 60/40 rear split folding seats? I'm guessing not due to placement of the battery behind the seats?

Is there an iPod interface (not just an Aux audio jack) - I'd be shocked if there wasn't.

Is the firmness of the suspension adjustable (I'm guessing not) if not, how does it ride for freeway touring and just creeping around city streets? Anyone can compare it to some recent year Bimmer and/or Acura sedans?

I see it has few options but include some air dam and other vent options and side skirts yet the stock photos look like it already has a decent size/looking body kit on it? Do these options make that big of an appearance difference and if so, is a tasteful looking or just makes the car look ricier than it already does?

If I'm going to go the rice route, I think I want acceleration more on-par with a stock STI which is what 4.7, 4.9 0-60. (Don't like looks of STI though and no heated seats.) Seems like maybe just a simple ECU upgrade should get me to close to 4.9?? I've always modded my cars for a few extra ponies and improved suspension without ruining the drive. But I'm getting a little burnt out so I just want something easy that is good bang for the buck that is stealth and doesn't make the car sound more obnoxious.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback. I think I may be happily returning to be a Mitsu owner!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I'm a Ralliart owner, but let me chime in with what I know:

-Is there 60/40 rear split folding seats?

No, battery and some fluids are back there. This also means a very VERY small trunk.

-Is there an iPod interface (not just an Aux audio jack) - I'd be shocked if there wasn't.

be shocked. There is an AUX with video in. I'm not sure what the aftermarket has for control via MMCS.

-Is the firmness of the suspension adjustable (I'm guessing not) if not, how does it ride for freeway touring and just creeping around city streets? Anyone can compare it to some recent year Bimmer and/or Acura sedans?

the feel is on par. It isnt rattle your bones, but it isn't soft either. Personally, I liked it a lot. (based on my ride around the track in an Evo MR. I dont own one, so I cant comment on the every day)

-I see it has few options but include some air dam and other vent options and side skirts yet the stock photos look like it already has a decent size/looking body kit on it?

Stock photos: what you see is what you get. There are no exterior options, but I think there are a few underbody aero options.

-If I'm going to go the rice route, I think I want acceleration more on-par with a stock STI which is what 4.7, 4.9 0-60.

GSR model will get you to 60 in 4.6, but the MR is a little slower with the SST at 5.6 (though some claim an even 5 with the launch control). This is just because the computer doesnt like to slip the clutches very much, so tries to close them as soon as possible. You can get more out of the car with a reflash, just search the forums to see how much. FWIW: this transmission IS best of both worlds, but it is not the smoothest in traffic (even in auto).

As far as interior goes, if it has the leather, it looks very nice, and from what we are seeing in press photos for the MR Touring, it will look better than the base Lancer. As for the GSR, MR, without leather...it looks like the base car :-(
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a "short" answer to your questions:

Quality/Interior
The interior finish and quality will definitely not live up to the usual suspects from Europe, that's for sure. There are many shared interior parts with the base Lancer. That said, the MR Touring does have the best combination of features not found in any other car in the Lancer Family:
*Storage compartments which have articulating lids with dampers and chrome touch points (MR Touring unique)
*HVAC control bezel with chrome accent (MR Touring unique)
*"Full-leather" heated seats (MR Touring unique; MR has leather/suede-like)
*Piano black instrument panel and door garnish (all MR)
*Vinyl-covered door and center armrests with French stitching (all MR)

Performance
The Evo's stock power is nothing outstanding by today's standards, but it is definitely an exhilirating ride. Especially combined with the ultra-sophisticated AWD system which will let you do things you didn't think were possible with a car on the road.
Of course, there are endless modifications available out there, but you will probably be pleased with the out of the box performance. One side note is that many recommend a "tune" even without out any additional modifications, which will not only pick up some power, but usually helps to improve fuel economy as well due to the excessively rich factory tune that the car has.

Ride Comfort
The suspension is not tuneable in stock form (didn't the 3000GT have adjustable dampers?).
As you can imagine, the ride is much more firm than the average car and will undoubtably be stiffer than the other cars you mentioned.
The trade off for this is that you will probably be able to perform any maneuver that you are ever presented with without any sweat from the suspension.

Family Car?
This is such a person-specific question and answer that only you will be able to answer it.
*There isn't much trunk space. The MR Touring comes standard with the Rockford Fosgate audio system (quite possibly one of the best sound systems in a car costing less than $50K) which has a subwoofer in the trunk that further reduces the useability.
*The rear seat does not fold
*Some find the Recaros to be a snug fit, but many love them (by the way, I don't think that Recaros should be considered "ricey" whatsoever. They are the brand used thoroughly by performance and luxury OEM's throughout their history, not to mention they are what are applied to Audi S4/RS4)
*The rear seat, while not huge, is reasonable for even adults for moderate distances. There is certainly no reason that growing children would have a problem riding in the back seat.

There is probably much more that can be said, but the best bet is for you to go find one at a dealer and take it for a drive for your own opinion.
Good luck!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses. I love to hear more, especially from those who recently owned or drove other high $30's to $40K ish luxury AWD sport sedans (335i, G37, Subaru Legacy GT Spec B or 3.6R, Acura TL (depressing they mad it so fugly), Taurus SHO (I cringe to think about resale on the Ford). Really interesting how it compares. But due to the wide price range on all the different trim levels, I imagine there isn't a whole lot of people here that have been able to compare an MR Touring to those above cars? I would guess most here are GSR owners, being primarily performance oriented? Just a guess but it is still very early in the thread.

Sounds like the interior would pass with me - I just need to understand I'm switching into a slightly different segement of cars. Sounds like it probably is one of the best interiors out there for a $35K on down Japanese make? A trip to the dealer will be the final answer.

No iPod interface? Someone at Mitsu doesn't like Apple. But I had to use an aftermarket interface for my Volvo so no biggie, just a nuisance getting it installed.

Trunk space could be a deal killer. Originally I was set on 60/40 with trunk large enough I could slide my mountain bike in like on my Volvo so I didn't have to mess with a rack. But I don't ride my bike much so I gave up on making 60/40 a requirement. But now we're talking road trip luggage room and if could fit two sets of golf clubs? With just me and the wife, no biggie as we can use the back seats. With the family needs to fit one large size bag (the largest you typically see on the luggage return at the airport), approx. 23x9x19, a medium size bag approx 20x9x16, a carry-on size, and a small back-pack. Will be funny showing up to the dealer with a bunch of luggage to make sure it fits. I'll have to take a peek next time I'm driving by a dealer. Sounds like it will be tight. I suppose with the clubs I can use back seat again. Can subwoofer be temporarily removed for more room?

I'm guessing all other aspects I'll be satisfied with. Sounds like it's the trunk space that is potentially the only deal breaker.

Last edited by consultant; Sep 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:00 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

After reading your OP I can say that the Evo X isn't for you. I would go for the Taurus SHO in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Laz
After reading your OP I can say that the Evo X isn't for you. I would go for the Taurus SHO in a heartbeat.
Funny I was expecting a response like this since I was starting to have some doubts reading my last post. But remember we are talking about the MR Touring which is brand new for 2010. It has the features that appeal to a bit broader/different segment. But if you are saying, I'll be blown away how small the trunk is, then you are probably right. I'm a huge Rally Car fan a major driving enthusiast. I've just not seen, until now, a Rally Car cloaked in a more near-luxury sedan guise which this MR Touring seems to be.

Have you read the reviews on the SHO. It gets stellar marks in most everything except two things (1) The brakes are terrible, the pads virtually catch on fire if you take it to the track or down a mountain road - but this can be fixed with new brakes, at least new pads and some slotted or vented rotors and (2) it's HEAVY: 4,400 pounds, hence #1. My main problem with it is in my 25 years of driving, I've owned about 12 cars. My Dad has owned about 40. We have a good feel about cars and I can tell you, even though Ford is producing quality vehicles, the Taurus resale value will be ABYSMAL. Much safer in any Japanese make or a BMW. I've already taken a bath financially, not willing to add fuel to that fire buying something that will be worth less than half in 3 years.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by consultant
Funny I was expecting a response like this since I was starting to have some doubts reading my last post. But remember we are talking about the MR Touring which is brand new for 2010. It has the features that appeal to a bit broader/different segment. But if you are saying, I'll be blown away how small the trunk is, then you are probably right. I'm a huge Rally Car fan a major driving enthusiast. I've just not seen, until now, a Rally Car cloaked in a more near-luxury sedan guise which this MR Touring seems to be.
Trunk space is very sad in the X. But with all those other features, what do you need a big trunk for? If I was looking in that segment and had the little bit extra money I'd be in the 335xi without second thoughts. Sure you'll be like everyone else (since it applies to such a large market, like the Evo will in 2010...) but that's easily fixable with the aftermarket support of the 335... I've seen a million and two people from all different walks of life driving around in 335s. But not a single one of them (other than stock ones) were the same. A drop, some nice wheels, a tune... one sweet ride.

There was a flux before the X came out of Evo owners moving to the 335.

BTW if heated seats is that big of a deal to you, it is pretty simple to add...
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:07 PM

I'm in a similar situation. Bought a Galant VR-4 18 years ago, started modding and am looking for something a little more comfortable as a daily driver while still being relatively low key. Still have the Galant but have also owned an Audi A6 and BMW 540i.

Am also considering an Evo X Touring though low trunk space and small fuel tank could make long distance trips inconvenient. Have not really seen any other new car that I would consider as an alternative. Used, on the other hand, there are quite a few options out there. Consider that a used e39 M5 and on the other extreme Lotus Elise, in decent shape can easily be found for less than the cost of new Evo X Touring. Very different cars but gives you an idea of what you can get nowadays for your money.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:23 PM

Well I did quite a lot of research and thinking. My #1 pick but it would push my budget to the limit and then a little some is a used (under 20K miles) Audi RS4. One sweet ride. Looks aren't all that exciting though. But again, just a bit more than I want to spend. Those cars were like $65-80K depending on options new I think.

#2 WAS (may still be if Evo doesn't pan out) and used 335xi with under 15K miles.

#3 WAS a G37S AWD sedan with nice 7-speed auto and paddle shifters. For another $2K I can buy the big break kit you can only get on the coupe S with MT.

My gut is I'd be happiest with the RS4 if I could scrounge up the money/swallow the payment. Realistically the G37S probably is #1 looking at the car comprehensively, I'd be happiest with the 335xi as far as the driving experience. But the Evo MR Touring as far as brand new could be the best bang, (without looking like a little rice pod like the STI) for the buck if I can survive with the small trunk but it sounds doubtful.

Oh there's one other sleeper that is on the edge and a little beyond the budget realistically. '08 Jaguar XF. Beautiful but to get the pop I want I'd need the gas guzzling 420HP supercharged V8. I could afford the 300 HP V8 though. Very different than an Evo, but frankly, more my style (although as you can see I have broad tastes as I'm still seriously considering the MR Touring - I'll at least go check one out.) A British car first year model is SCARY from a reliability standpoint and I was right when I got on the Jaguar forum. Lots of Technical Service Bulletins. But new is out of my price range. '04 Volvo R had same issues. Took them a year to work out some kinks. Glad I got an '05. Swore I'd never by first-year model unless it was Japanese.

Would have bought the new Acura TL SH-AWD in a heartbeat if they didn't make it so FUGLY! Especially from the rear. Who was smoking crack when they designed that car??? (My car before the Volvo was a TL). Actually I might be able to get a good deal on a CL since it is due for a redesign but styling is bland as is the power but a very nice daily driver.

Last edited by consultant; Sep 22, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

40. We have a good feel about cars and I can tell you, even though Ford is producing quality vehicles, the Taurus resale value will be ABYSMAL.
The SHO is unique, though. Hell, you're going to take a raping on ANY new car you buy, and I honestly doubt the SHO will fare much worse than the Evo.

From your requirements, I can't see the X being a good match. You need/want a trunk; it doesn't have one. You want creature comforts; it really doesn't compare to any of the "nicer" cars mentioned.

I'd say the 335ix would be a hell of a match for you.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by consultant
Would have bought the new Acura TL SH-AWD in a heartbeat if they didn't make it so FUGLY! Especially from the rear. Who was smoking crack when they designed that car??? (My car before the Volvo was a TL). Actually I might be able to get a good deal on a CL since it is due for a redesign but styling is bland as is the power but a very nice daily driver.
Ditto, I'd be in one right now... 300 hp, SH-AWD... mmmm... candy! I hope they bring out a TSX with SH-AWD and a decent bit of power (last I heard they were going to do the regular TL motor in a TSX SH-AWD). Only problem would be power... they need to put some turbos on those things.

Originally Posted by hotdog
I'd say the 335ix would be a hell of a match for you.
Agreed.

There's the CTS-V Wagon too... And just the regular CTS-V, you didn't mention either of those. Dunno the pricing on them, but I know the CTS-V beat out the RS4's record on the 'ring. Used RS4s can be found for pretty cheap, and they will continue to go down at a pretty steady rate since Audi changes their lineup so much.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I would stay away from the SHO, it's heavy and lacks the EVO's attitude. I've owned two fords, a 1994 3.8 Mustang (which blew the head gaskets at 86k miles) and a 1999 Mazda Cougar, I mean Mercury Probe... At 76K or around there the transmission started slipping, struts were shot, interior lights no longer worked, trunk refused to pop from the inside, hood latch no longer worked and every-time you bumped the steering wheel the CD player skipped! My Dad owned a 2004 F-150 and at 46k miles the A/T needed rebuilt.... Did I mention all these vehicles were overly pampered but still couldn't refrain from falling apart!

The EVO is still fast even by todays standards, 4.6 to 60 is fast no matter how you slice it, 1 g on the skid in unheard for a mass produced vehicle. The MR touring will be a little heavier than the 08 MR, due to the added features, however the 08 MR could only make it's way to 60 in 5.0 to 5.1 with the launch control feature. If you desire the added creature comforts and a more casual exterior I would say the MR touring is a great start, if you're looking for speed and a real mans rally car lol, look no further than the GSR and save yourself some cash.

I've owned three Lancers, OZ, GTS and X, my father owns an Endeavor and 1989 Mighty Max, we've had 0 issues! Stick with the imports and try to avoid the Taurus all together! The WRX and STi are good cars but like you said aren't very appealing ascetically. Good LUCK!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:33 AM

CTS-V is too spendy - $60-$65K.

Best bang for the buck all around would be a used G37S. But it is so, "Japanese Bland". The Japanese designers are funny it's like they either error on the side of being to conservative for fear of making a car that is too radical (at least in the sedans - when you start talking 350Z, S2000, GTR, NSX, that's another story), or they error on the side of being too weird, ala Acura TL.

The TSX is WAY better looking than the TL as is the previous TL. They should have just made a larger version of the TSX as the TL. If they put 300HP and SH-AWD in the TSX, I'd be all over that although I'm not sure how it would fair as far as amenities as then how do you differentiate the two cars other than on looks - it would kill TL sales! I would be very very suprised if they put the same engine and AWD in the TSX as the TL.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:30 AM
mdc

Depending on your trunk needs, you may get an over the roof box for those times when there are 4 people inthe car + luggage. But these times should be very infrequent. If they are very frequent you should consider something else. Other than that, the MR touring fits the bill. It is seriously quick, has the best handling of any car mentioned, has nice creature comforts and you dont see the lancer trim after a week, it has a brand new car guarantee which you can keep if you restrict mods to bolt ons, looks very good, has the best dual clutch transmission around, has real diffs (unlike a 3 series) and they are adjustable, great brakes, wheels...

you can get koni fsd or similar more compliant shocks if you find the ride harsh, but I find it ok.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:40 AM

Ya I'm not ready to rule out the MT Touring until I see the trunk in person. I very rarely take road trips with all 4 of us and full luggage. We take the Honda Pilot for those. Too bad it is first year model, as I'd love to get a deal on a slightly used one.

I saw the new Subaru Legacy sedan yesterday in a dark grey metallic. Nice looking car, but no heated seats as far as I know and performance below my Volvo for 3.6R (wife will kill me if I don't get heated seats.) Plus me and my friends make fun of tree hugging Subaru drivers (not STI owners of course) - I'd get a lot of crap if I pulled up any Subaru.

I really want that dual-clutch transmission and something that isn't a freakin BMW - see a hundred 3 series a day. Yes you can differentiate the Bimmer but I'm burnt out on doing all but the quickest/easiest mods (ECU re-flash and cold air intake is about it.) Plus if you sink a bunch of money into wheels, mods etc, you just make the depreciation that much more painful as you are looking to get $0.25 on the dollar for what you spend on mods when you go to resell in my experience. See Ad: "$8000 in mods!! on and on" = $2000 more in selling price. May be a bit better than that for an STI/Evo market though since that segment appreciates mods more than the average buyer on most other cars I would expect.

I like the fact the MR, if I recall runs on regular so that means lots of potential on just an ECU tune and running on Premium (we have 92 up here in WA) The ECU flash I have now is a device I can plug into the OBDI (or whatever you call it) port and I can flash the car back to stock if I need to take it in for warranty service. Do they have that for the Evo?

My time is very valuable. I am scared from many trips to Volvo service. I love the car and there wasn't any major problems, just a few little things, but with my Acura TL the only time I had to go to the dealer in 3 years was for an oil change/regular schedule service. Sounds like it will be the same for Mitsubishi.

One thing I know for sure is I'll miss the uniqueness and the looks of the Volvo. See more M3's. Only see an R like maybe once a week. Everyone trips out on it, "is that a stock model?" I never knew there was such a Volvo following out there. It's my first and I just liked the specs and looks on the car. Had no affinity or loyalty to the Volvo brand but there's almost like a cult following out there that I discovered when I kept getting stopped and everyone and their mom at the gas station wanted to ask me questions about it. I really don't like the attention that much but it's funny. I sure won't get any questions in a 335xi - not that I want them but you know what I mean. I want something with some Pizazz that isn't too ostentatious. The Evo is borderline, but a black MR touring I think would be subtle enough (the black color would make the big black mouth on the front stand out less. My car instinct is just telling me the Volvo is going to be nothing but problems in the future. I'm really wanting to go back to Japanese. If they could just make something that looks more like this:

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Scoop on 2010 MR Touring