Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Those of you with 500+ ftlbs of torque, how did you battle torque steer?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is your tranny holding with that tq? my 1st gear started to whine bad after few launches with 460wtq
Old May 10, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Montu
^

I'm not sure that Negative camber would help you much going in a strait line, but what could help is a bump steer correction kit installed at the same time as any coils

you keep saying your gonna go for a big tire but I haven't seen you talk about which tire.
Road isolation. You have the tire pushing toward center. Though it might have less grip, grip at 560+ ft lbs is difficult at best. Look at what RWD guys can put down per axle controllably and then add some for margin. Alot of turbo bimmer guys are around 280 ft lbs without issue on good wide tires in a softer than street compound. 280 x 2 is 560 so its getting past that point that can be a challenge. A small turbo that comes on fast can also make it hectic.

the last part of the equation is tire pressure of course.

aaron
Old May 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all alignments are equal. Did you measure have thrust angle measured? Did they check your ball joints and other bushings? A bad ball joint can cause you to take off at an angle under heavy throttle. You may be suffering from a dynamic toe issue as throttle is applied the wheels aren't pivoting in/out at the same rate.
You know you need a more substantial tire but that is likely not the root cause unless your wear patterns are way off in which case you could rotate tires to try to balance out the effect.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

the tires I mentioned are just for the example, I would probably get Hankook RS3's

they are a very sticky tire and cheap (equal to or better then NT01's) they are actually good for road racing but the downfall is the soft side wall which I can only guess will make it better for drag.

RS-3's are 127 a tire shipped (and are a street tire)
Didn't mean to take you so literally.

So where are you getting RS-3s for 127 a piece shipped
Old May 11, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Acree
I will probably end up going with BFG KDW2. I ran 3 sets of them on my 350z and absolutely loved them. You get 90% of the dry performance of any other tire and they are amazing in the rain. I was able to get 30k miles out of each set to with a tread count of 300.

-Acree
who am I to know, but Im running KDWs and have not experience any traction issues. Im running a 255/40 though. Love the BFs.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Didn't mean to take you so literally.

So where are you getting RS-3s for 127 a piece shipped
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/
Old May 11, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
I wish I had this problem. Lol. Nice power.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I checked them a few months ago and I swear they were selling them for 150 a piece. Which is still not a bad deal.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:47 PM

You are at over 500 WTQ and lowering springs and gsr struts holy Crap.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

So you went big on the motor and making big power, but no money for good tires?? Asking for trouble IMO and you'd be lucky to keep it on the road with crappy tires. And yes the BFGoodrich tires you are talking about are crap in comparison to a real sticky street tire.

I would at worst be getting Star Spec or RS3's in your situation. Who cares if your tires last 30K miles if you put your car into the center divider with 300 miles on the tires....i mean cmonn man think about it.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the nitto nt05 is a great street tire also its very comparable to star specs in performance tread wear is in the 200 area i run them in the 255 size they are cheaper then star specs to btw saved me $120 when i went to order i have not noticed much diffrence between the two but i have not got to push the car on them yet.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
So you went big on the motor and making big power, but no money for good tires?? Asking for trouble IMO and you'd be lucky to keep it on the road with crappy tires. And yes the BFGoodrich tires you are talking about are crap in comparison to a real sticky street tire.

I would at worst be getting Star Spec or RS3's in your situation. Who cares if your tires last 30K miles if you put your car into the center divider with 300 miles on the tires....i mean cmonn man think about it.
The motor blew 3 weeks after I bought the car. And yes, money is an issue since I am a senior electrical engineering student. I think I'm doing pretty well to be paying for my own car plus an engine rebuild while putting myself through school at 24. A blown motor is a huge chunk of change, especially when not planned for. I have had plans all along to replace the wheels and tires with something much larger even before the motor went. I'm not "lucky" to keep the car on the road. I just don't drive like a jack@ss.

Have you ever done a comparison yourself of KDW2's to another tire? How on earth do you know if the tire is "crap in comparison to a real sticky street tire?" When I had them on my 350z, I pulled 1.01g with nothing more than GF210 lowering springs and 255/45/18s on when I ran at Texas World Speedway back in 2007.

Before you come off condescending and negative, next time think of a constructive response, or simply don't post.

-Acree
Old May 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bfg kdws are a nice tire dont let anyone tell u there not, now the kdw2 is a much sweeter lookin and on top of that handling tire, the tread design looks like a flame haha...im running the bfg gforce sportzs cuz i wanted to try a high end tire instead of entry level and so far 10k miles on it and still have at least 2/3 tread left...but a couple other people on here made a good point about how the alignment could be off slightly, even your toe bein toed out excessively can make it pull hard one way...shake down front and rear suspension, and go back to the shop in a couple weeks and have them recheck, from personal experience if its not loaded straight on the alignment machine, then your alignment will be off.
good luck
Old May 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the tip. I did the smart thing and bought the 3-year alignment deal at NTB. Free alignments!

-Acree
Old May 11, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
the nitto nt05 is a great street tire also its very comparable to star specs in performance tread wear is in the 200 area i run them in the 255 size they are cheaper then star specs to btw saved me $120 when i went to order i have not noticed much diffrence between the two but i have not got to push the car on them yet.
nt05 is indeed similar to the star spec, but the wet traction and hydroplain resistance is not so close. (op seems to care about wet traction)

the rs3 is a way stickier tire then both star spec and nt05
...however star specs will always have a place in my heart due to the awesome slip angle and feedback from the thire

Quick Reply: Those of you with 500+ ftlbs of torque, how did you battle torque steer?