Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A question on fuel efficiency

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question on fuel efficiency

Before I ask and before you comment, i know evos are not fuel efficient cars and yes I can afford the car and fuel etc.. Out of curiosity -

I have been taking notice of how much boost I am using and when I'm using it etc.

For a couple weeks I went conservative on my fuel by not using the boost if I didn't need it and I'm fairly sure my car used more fuel than when I drive it without any consideration for fuel usage.

Is anyone else of the same opinion or know anything about this?
Old May 15, 2011, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your ECUTEK tune, is that a map that you download to flash from a manufacturer's website? To get the most efficiency from your tune, it needs to be a custom one tailored to your car, and not a general map. Search "lean cruise" on here. I think you will find some answers there.
Old May 15, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben
Your ECUTEK tune, is that a map that you download to flash from a manufacturer's website? To get the most efficiency from your tune, it needs to be a custom one tailored to your car, and not a general map. Search "lean cruise" on here. I think you will find some answers there.
The ECUTEK tune on mine is a custom dyno tune (unsure of specifics as it was done by previous owner).

I did the search but I'm not 100% up to date on ECU jargon (AFR, MAF etc.). I kind of get what they are but about half a paragraph in I just lose it. I'm interested in what it all means and I'm going to start logging when evoscan bring out the iphone setup.

I probably could've worded what I said a bit better. In relation to driving style does avoiding using the turbo consume more fuel?
Old May 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Staying out of boost will use LESS fuel.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im under the same assumption as the op. It does seem as if normal driving back and forth to work seems to burn more gas than weekend joy riding and racing. Maybe its an illusion but my car does seem this way as well.