Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

nitrous intercooler sprayer bar

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nitrous intercooler sprayer bar

I've seen this on alot of cars and actually have one laying around. It was on my honda, but never had the chance to use it before the turbo blew and I started the overhaul. So my question is, is it worth it to throw it on the evo? I've read it can up hp by 50 but come on u can't believe everything nowdays. Anyone have any positive proven results? Also if I install it I want to hook it up to the stock ic sprayer button to where if I click manual it sprays however long I hold it and if I click auto it sprays every 3 seconds for 2 seconds just like factory. Any how tos on how I would wire the solenoids in to this switch and relay?
Old May 24, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Just FYI i've heard that the nitrous eats away at the Aluminum fins in the IC. I've never ran the a system like that...but i did noticed they died off pretty quick after a year or too....and assumed the reason above was why.
Old May 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have it laying around then go ahead and use it, i can gurantee you its not gona add 50whp, more like 5 whp. It would not be a bad idea to spray when at the track or racing.
Old May 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ive also heard you can use CO2 with the system. I would also be interested in seeing somebody post some results
Old May 24, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

CO2 would be cheaper and easier to source. Not sure of the temperature difference. To tune it optimally you would have to make sure the system gave consistent results. That would require a sensor and a computer that would base flow of CO2/N2O on the IAT.....

Or you could just use it as a 'bonus', you just wouldn't see crazy gains, then you have to worry about the flow restriction from it being in your charge piping..... Chances are its not worth the hassle.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:00 PM

not to sure about nitros in my evo
Old May 24, 2011, 04:22 PM

This has my interests
Old May 24, 2011, 04:43 PM

not worth it imo.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I will be using co2 as yes it is cheaper. And I want eveidence of it working as in dyno results without spraying baseline and then with it spraying. Any ideas of how to go about wiring it up? I don't want to just throw it on and guess at how to wire it in with the stock switch as im no electrician and the last car I had done wiring in caught fire lol.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Also the statement made of the nitrous eating away at the aluminum fins cannot possibly be true or else it would eat away at intake piping and aluminum heads in cars spraying into the motor. Oh and, not to mention the bottle itself is made of aluminum and I haven't heard of bottles failing due to corrosion from the nitrous itself.

Last edited by awdordie; May 24, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

the wiring should be simple, to connect to the oem switch just use the trigger wires from the kit, it should be simple. As for results, yes it would be interesting to find out, but using washer fluid from the oem set up, i think there was dyno results of an extra 2-3whp...you might want to try find the thread on that. If you using something colder than washer fluid such as nitros or CO2, then yes your gains might be a little more..
Old May 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

^i have actually seen that thread before and that's what peaked my curiosity about this. I don't think the wiring is that simple however since the button works like the foglight button where once clicked it doesn't retain power at the switch it actually triggers a relay or something. Im not real sure what the technical term for a switch like that is called.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:49 PM

The nitrous will not eat away at the intercooler...

You really are not going to see that great of a gain using your bar sprayer unless your at the track and its really hot outside. I also want to suggest if you are going to use co2 to make sure its not gonna spray into the intake cause thats not gonna help your performance at all.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:02 PM

use nitrous instead of C02. some of it will actually leak from the spray bar on the intercooler to the filter and get sucked through your system. pro tip : CO2 doesn't combust as well as nitrous. but expect to see about 10 hp or more depending on weather conditions.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

I dont think it would necessarily give you more power. From what Ive read the point of the CO2 sprayer is just to cool the intercooler down like adding ice to an air to water intercooler. It cools the intercooler down which in turns cools the air that is flowing through it. It just like the difference between driving on a cool day as opposed to a hot one. The intercooler stays cold and keeps the engine cooler. It probably wont add much power but it will allow you to run at peak horsepower more consistently. You could spray it in between runs at the drag strip to keep the engine cool and at optimal temperature.

Quick Reply: nitrous intercooler sprayer bar