Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hood problems

Old May 27, 2011, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood problems

I have a Carbon fiber hood thats starting to get smokey streaks...is there a non abrasive way to fix this problem
Old May 28, 2011, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a CF hood on my GSX and found there was no real way to get rid of smokey streaks/patches other than having the entire hood re-cleared again. I would just wait until it becomes really noticeable and have it re-cleared for around $200. You can also DIY by sanding all the clear coat off and re-clearing it with a spray can or gun.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:46 AM

yea i was hoping for another way..and the streaks are pretty bad already, Whats a good way to pevent this..because i have been waxing my hood..and this still happend
Old May 29, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Most carbon fiber parts do not come clear coated from the manufacturer. What ur seeing is the resin it was made with that they buff out and shine up. The yellowing and fading ur seeing is mainly damage from the suns uv light as well as buffing it more with wax which removes the resin. What I did was have all my parts clear coated with a high end clear by my body shop when they were new. This helps for when u wax them ur buffing the clear not the cf, also with regards to yellowing it provides sum uv protection. Also parking in covered spots or in the shade will help as well. My parts r a couple years old now and all look the same as the day I pulled them out of the boxes.
Old May 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo9MickyBricks
yea i was hoping for another way..and the streaks are pretty bad already, Whats a good way to pevent this..because i have been waxing my hood..and this still happend
Waxing won't really do much, my old hood tended to fog up/streak in the areas that received the most heat from the engine bay. You could put on the OEM hood insulator if you don't already have it on to help avoid this.

Also as mentioned before the clearcoat that comes from the companies that sell CF parts is usually crap (just look at the EVO spoilers lol) so you can either park in shaded areas or simply have it re-cleared by a professional the right way.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reclearing is the only way as everyone has said. If I buy something in cf its cleared before it ever goes on the car. The only other way to prevent this as much as possible is garage keep your evo or cover it up but it will still eventually fade.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Keeping the Carbon Fiber away from heat is pretty much impossible if you drive your car on a daily basis. Just be sure to put your hood insulation on and park underground/covered spots in the summer. Sometimes the CF can just oxidize from the air alone too though.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:55 AM

Yea i live in El Paso..so heat here is crazy..anyone have a guess on price for re clear coating...at this point im thinking of getting rid of it, if this cost me to much
Old May 30, 2011, 08:33 AM

make a few calls and get a qoute...
Old May 30, 2011, 08:41 AM

I recently had my CF hood clear coated for $125, but that didn't involve sanding, so $200 should be right in the ballpark.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

well when my hood was replaced with a cf hood due to a minor accident, i had part of the hood sprayed the factory bby, and then they did a couple coats of clear at my request....no problems yet ive had mine on for about 8 months so far, still shines good, although the car could use some claybar and waxin loving.... as far as the yellowing goes op, youll have to sand it and reclear it, unless you have experience doin it dont do it yourself, thought i could save some money by sandin and havin my wing recleared, well i ended up sandin into the cf, so my whole wing was resprayed bby, so long story short, have a pro sand it n reclear it that way you have some warranty.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:45 AM

Well 200 isnt bad, cheaper then getting a none CF and getting it repainted even though my car needs a little bit of body work. Thanks guys helped me tons

Search this Thread