Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reverse Issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reverse Issue?

Lately it has become increasingly hard to shift into reverse, and alot of times it only shifts into it halfway, all the other gears are fine (well first is sometimes harder than all the others but not a big problem) does anyone know what is wrong or what i need to replace?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

You still on your stock clutch? Or have you changed clutches or moved to another state recently?

Last edited by tiggeryellow1; Jun 2, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:00 AM

yes
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah. What kind of clutch is it?
And how many miles ago did you last adjust your clutch pedal?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm well if you have been the cars only owner and you haven't excessively beaten the thing, you may just need to bleed your line. You prob jus got some air in it... but if you do then there is a good chance that it's time to replace the clutch master or slave cylinder's or both.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:07 AM

I have not been the cars only owner, bought it at 32k miles and it now has 47k, I have no idea if the clutch has ever been adjusted, it deffinitally hasnt been by me...I will look into the lines though
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Right On well LMK. I am pretty sure that is what you've got going on, because if it was your clutch it would be with more than just 1st and reverse, but it could also be a synchros issue so have those looked at also.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:15 AM

will do, thank you tiger
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Man No Worries! I told another member that I think is having the same problem the same thing. Happy to try and help And should you need it:here is the website where I got my replacement master and slave cylinder parts from... best $70 bones I ever spent man. And as irony would have it the company Daikin is a sister company that branches off of Exedy so I was basically just replacing my oem parts with exedy parts to marry up with my exedy twin: http://www.phoenixfriction.com/c-318...-products.aspx

Jus sayin... it's there if you end up needing it man.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:25 AM

I had an issue with me shifting to reverse was nearly impossible. I had installed the Nisei Hardpipe kit for the 9, and I noticed that the UICP with the rubber hose connecting to the circulating BOV was somewhat pretty close to the shift linkage. Turned out to be that the rubber piece was in the way. I had to trim this piece a little bit.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar issue with my VIII before and after my new clutch installation. Replaced the stock clutch and flywheel, same issue. Replaced my shifter linkage bushings and base bushings AND flushed the transmission fluid with OEM fluid, same issue. So, installed a new clutch line and adjusted the pedal (flushed the system during this process), and same issue.

Just some things to look at during your investigation, I never did resolve my issue since I had to let go of the car so soon. Good Luck!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Is it a constant problem?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I had to replace a couple of synchros and a reverse gear, when I couldn't shift into 4th, or put the car in reverse.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:53 PM

Let's hope it is your clutch and a quick fix. When you do find the problem, let us know for future reference. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:03 PM

First is not a constant problem and when it is a problen it never doesnt go in its just harder than the other gears. reverse isn't constant either. Say probaby 75% of the time reverse wont work and it will sometimes take me like 2 trys and it will go in other times it will take as many as like 5 or so. At first I thought it was the cold that would determine how hard it was but I have pretty much just ruled that out. It wont work at random times.