Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why do EVO owners keep their cars with such low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm comin up on 60k on my 03 evo right now, I picked it up early spring of 05 with only 17k on it. Which makes it about 7k a year. It is my DD but fortunately I live close to work and school so even though I drive her almost every day the miles I put on are very little. I would say most of my miles I've put on her were from attending race events and going on cruises with other gearheads.

So far I'd say everything runs great motor/tranny hasn't given me any issues yet and I'm on my 4th clutch altogether lol. I do miss wrenching on the evo thats why I'm looking forward to my 60K service, last mod I did was an fp green turbo around 30k . I'm still planning on gettin another car so my evo can get promoted to weekend fun car lol.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:49 PM

My 03' has 28,112 mi on the clock right now!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
There are some high mileage evos. The do really well even with a lot of miles but idk some people throw money into the black hole that spends half its year in a shop.

I just put 24k miles on my car in the last 12 months with no sign of slowing down. In another 2 years it will join the high mileage club.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:07 PM

I bought mine to drive...and so I do. Don't look for low miles on my car...while I'm alive, I'm having the most fun I can!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwalker
I don't understand the question, can you re-phrase it?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Mine has 65k and it's an 06' Evo IX MR. I drive my car A LOT! But, to be fair, I live in San Diego and every day is a nice day to drive. Plus, our public transportation sucks. It's also my DD. I figure, if I have to drive somewhere I want it to be fun and look good while doing it haha. I bough mine used and I know I'm not going to keep it forever so I'll just enjoy it while I have it. To be honest, I'm kind of saving up for the next M3 that comes out hahahaha.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Some of us have Evo's with values closer to $50,000 and will destroy a stock Porsche/Lambo etc. I don't baby my Evo, and enjoy driving it even to work, but I wouldn't take it on a road trip at this point. Needless miles on my racecar, when I could take one of my other cars. I drive the Evo only to have fun, so if that fun is on the way to the office, or on the track its worth the cost... what isn't really worth it is racking up 2000 miles driving out of state in a caged race car.

Parts are NOT cheap either depending on what you are breaking.
When I said parts are cheap I'm talking relatively speaking. Go do a simple break job on that porsche or lambo then report back. Forget about motor work And when I say an $8k car I'm meaning that's it's worth in the real world not fantasy land.

50K into your EVO is not 50K out of your EVO. Of course my EVO is worth more to me then 8k and probably has 30k in parts in it.

Hell if someone had 30k cash they could not buy it but lets face reality here

Originally Posted by Raistlin
While your evo might not mean much to you, mine means a great deal to me.

My evo cost more than 8k and is the best vehicle I have ever had. I have not had a car that can even compare to an evo, not even close. I treat my evo well, I drive it the way it should be when I do drive it, but I see no need in driving it to work when that is only a 15 min. drive driving just a little over the speed limit.

I cherish my evo as I do not have a great deal of money and this is something I take great pride in. Sure to some people the evo is just a cheap toy that can be replaced easily; I on the other hand do not have huge amounts of cash laying around gathering dust.

Can I afford my evo? Sure, but I also do not like to waste money.

Again my evo cost me more than 8k. It is not your average civic off the shelf beater car. To me it is a great car that can outperform anything I have ever owned. To me it is a super car without the cost; of course my evo will not out do a Porsche or something similar. However, it can hang with a lot of things on the road, and gives me the ride I enjoy.

One mans cheap toy is another mans dream toy.
Of course my EVO means a lot to me and I treat it as such. Pushing 140k and has never gave me a major problem so trust me I've taken great care to maintain it properly

Maybe your car did cost you more than 8k but again in the real world its an 8 year old Mitsubishi and being mine has almost 140k on it 8k is a high end estimate on what I could expect out of it though I'd never sell it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Maybe your car did cost you more than 8k but again in the real world its an 8 year old Mitsubishi and being mine has almost 140k on it 8k is a high end estimate on what I could expect out of it though I'd never sell it.

At this point (just looked up up since you mentioned it) KBB lists my car in private sell as just under $1,500 less than I paid for it 3 1/2 years ago. It is going donw in value at a rate of less than $500 per year.

I enjoy my evo but I am still modding to my goal (not much more to add to it) and then I'll get it tuned.

It is not fun driving it to work knowing I have to stop driving it to go in to work. If I want to drive my evo I want to really drive my evo and take it out on some nice drives. After I get the modding done and the tune I will still use it only as my occational car to drive. Why? Because it makes the drive that much more fun and adds that much more of a smile to my face by not driving it every day. I drive my beater subie that is okay to drive but will not even come close to hanging with the evo. Just sitting in it causes me to smile.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

how far do you drive each day? My commute is only 8 miles. I can see if u drive 40 miles each day. But a short commute, I will drive my Evo. Unless it snows, then I will take my Talon...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02BLUR
how far do you drive each day? My commute is only 8 miles. I can see if u drive 40 miles each day. But a short commute, I will drive my Evo. Unless it snows, then I will take my Talon...
My drive to work is rural but still 30.2 miles there and back. The drive is short time wise, and if you try to have fun in the evo even shorter. If it were a longer drive it might not be that bad, since it could have more potential for fun.

When I drive my evo I want to be able to cruise and not worry about having to be some place.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Point is I drive my EVO all the time cause I like driving it even though I have a nearly new car that is technically my DD. Id rather drive the EVO.

I care greatly for it but to me it isn't any super car that should be stored away and not driven. Too each their own.

I'm driving mine till the damn wheels fall off then I'll weld em back on and drive it some more
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

I see my Evo as my "fun" car, thus driving to work in traffic isn't fun. I just hit 24K on my 06, and it's not really an issue of trying to keep miles off of it...but more the type of miles I put on it. Given stop and go traffic isn't great for a motor, clutch, etc. I figure I'll save the Evo for fun drives on the backroads and laps at Thunder Hill.

As others have said, I plan on being buried in this car...so I'm going to have it for a long time. Since brakes, tires, and other wear parts on this car are somewhat expensive it seems like a shame wasting them on commuting. Plus, I like having a 2nd car for when I'm working on a project or maintenance on the Evo.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostd4
I see my Evo as my "fun" car, thus driving to work in traffic isn't fun. I just hit 24K on my 06, and it's not really an issue of trying to keep miles off of it...but more the type of miles I put on it. Given stop and go traffic isn't great for a motor, clutch, etc. I figure I'll save the Evo for fun drives on the backroads and laps at Thunder Hill.

As others have said, I plan on being buried in this car...so I'm going to have it for a long time. Since brakes, tires, and other wear parts on this car are somewhat expensive it seems like a shame wasting them on commuting. Plus, I like having a 2nd car for when I'm working on a project or maintenance on the Evo.
one of the few ppl that actually believes in using there car properly
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I enjoy my car, even when commuting. To follow another analogy that someone else started, it's like being with your significant other. While obviously they're the most fun in bed, there is still something special and invaluable even about the everyday stuff.

My girlfriend has a Corolla that we sometimes use for longer trips, and other than the fact that it's half as expensive when it comes to fuel consumption, I hate driving it. I'd rather drive my car in a straight line on the freeway for 100 miles than to drive hers for 50 miles.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Why own a car if your not going to drive it? if i had a Buggatti i'd find a way to drive it every day, even here in Western NY. Im of the mind set if you buy it use it.

Athanasios

Quick Reply: Why do EVO owners keep their cars with such low mileage?