Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

lowering springs question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u can show me a chart of spring rates all u want... if u want me to understand it then u might have to make me a thread like this haha
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pounder
i have a friend that runs tien to and he loves them so i guess thats not saying much cause i hate how it rides haha
To use this quote as an addition to my reply to Sparky, "automotively viable" concerns would include the spring rates jumping to infinity, seeing how the car is sitting on its bumbstops from the getgo, a change the car car's suspension geometry that only compounds the negatives, and a real-world feel that can accurately be described as hopping around corners, fighting the car every step of the way. This, on a machine that was hailed as a world class cornering monster right out of the box. Herein lies the irony: Buy the car for its street cred, then mod it into the opposite of what gave it that cred in the first place. Not "automotively viable," but there are a few other words that easily come to mind.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
u can show me a chart of spring rates all u want... if u want me to understand it then u might have to make me a thread like this haha
Given that you are incapable of using a search button, a new thread would a waste of time, since you wouldn't read it.

Out.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
I really don't understand people sometimes. And I'm a psychologist.

There's a sticky in this forum that gives you the rates for all the standard aftermarket springs. But, instead or reading this (before deciding what to do and/or starting a new thread), you rely on the opinions of people who probably have no experience with springs other than those on their own car.

The internet is a pool of water. You are the horse. Drink, for Pete's sake!

^You can't drink from every pool though, there's plenty of dirty water on the interweb...bring a filter!!

In regards to springs: swift, gtworx, go search, nuff said
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

ok im going to look into the swift spec r...

FJF i know exactly what you mean but besides tein what other springs would actually "hurt" the handling of an evo like teins would? will tanibe or hotckis do this? and how about swifts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FJF i know exactly what you mean but besides tein what other springs would actually "hurt" the handling of an evo like teins would? will tanibe or hotckis do this? and how about swifts
For your application, Swifts are the better choice. Good luck.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

I bought my car with Tein S-tech springs which sucked a##,after some research i bought the Swift Spec-R from Map performance and i absolutely love them,awesome ride and feel,suspension is greatly improved.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

There's a sticky in this forum that gives you the rates for all the standard aftermarket springs. But, instead or reading this (before deciding what to do and/or starting a new thread), you rely on the opinions of people who probably have no experience with springs other than those on their own car.

I agree with what you are saying. I did just that researched and decided on the Swifts. I wanted a lower CG and wanted to reduce the wheel gap. I like the Swift springs a lot. However I do think about going back to the stock MR springs for a linear rate and the ability to setup the car for a turn since the initial rate is higher. I think the stock car is well setup for the "Scandinavian flick"!

Getting back to the psychology of this is because I think people want conversation and "chew the fat"
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Who's pete?

Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
To use this quote as an addition to my reply to Sparky, "automotively viable" concerns would include the spring rates jumping to infinity, seeing how the car is sitting on its bumbstops from the getgo, a change the car car's suspension geometry that only compounds the negatives, and a real-world feel that can accurately be described as hopping around corners, fighting the car every step of the way. This, on a machine that was hailed as a world class cornering monster right out of the box. Herein lies the irony: Buy the car for its street cred, then mod it into the opposite of what gave it that cred in the first place. Not "automotively viable," but there are a few other words that easily come to mind.
Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything by questioning your phrasing. I knew what you were saying. Just giving you a hard time

I am pretty much set on getting the GTWORX springs for my Evo. I don't want to lower the car too much. The roads are really awful where I live.

Same as you, FJF, I want the car to remain real world, automotively viable. For the time being, I guess that the GTWORX springs will work o.k. with my KYB's. Then later on I hope to get a set of Bilstein HD's. Thanks again, buddy.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 29, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get tanibe! Because they don't exist. Get the tanabe gf210. Install them and write an in depth review on them. Give us ride hieght, handling at different speeds and corners, comfort etc.
So the next guy can have a really good idea of what to expect from these particular springs. Rather than the "I heard" or "my buddy has them" kinda thing. Just saying.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
I know this thread is really ancient, but if you can find the Espilir springs, they're pretty good too. One of the stiffer options out there. I drove an IX that had these at an autox and was pretty impressed.