Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Changing the alternator

Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zanelefko
U.P Evo 8, my battery is relocated to trunk so I might go that route, how hard was it for you to get out the alternator?
PITA! Get some , you and your friend will need 'em. I followed service manual, wouldn't recomend. My stepdad, who taught me wrenchin' on V-8 stockcars, took a look and said this was beyond me, but no one else around could do it either, so I jumped. EvoM write-ups are packed with knowledge, and can help you with any nightmare Evo project. Welcome aboard, hope you can enjoy your Evo soon!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get it done yet??
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Did you get it done yet??
No i just ordered the 2 parts from STM yesterday so im hoping to get them in this week. If i do then we are going to do it this weekend.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evoryder
Just as an alternate(no pun intended) I installed/removed from the top. I removed my intake mani and fuel rail as one piece. Disconnected battery next, removed connectors on alternator, one plug
and one 10/12mm bolt with another connector. loosened main bolt, didn't completely remove still need to go down and remove tension from belt. 1/2" drive turn tensioner clockwise enough to line up holes to hold tensioner in place(Allen wrench)...on Josip your passenger side wheel is already off at this point as well as car being jacked up.

This way took me about 1.5 hrs total
After reading some of the posts I would take this option, it sounds like the quickest and easiest.

Have fun and good luck either way you go.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Just got it in yesterday so going to my friends shop Saturday. Though i gata pay like $130 to get it towed.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:24 AM

Flatbed! Don't tow, just to be specific. Poor Evo gets to go out and play soon! Have fun.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm sure he's going to flatbed it.

HOw far is your friends shop?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

FYI, I just replaced my alternator last week. All we had to do is remove the strut bar, lift the car up to remove the bottom bolt, let it down and wiggle the alternator out. Took us about an hour to replace it. Just be patient.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ok i got it done and its in working order!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice!!! $$ how much?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Nice!!! $$ how much?
275 for the alternator, which is strange because i wasent charged for a core and it was a reman, and 75 for gates blue racing belt. took us about 3 hours with a generator and a crappy air compressor.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I would think the top would be the easiest even if having to taking off the intake mani but I've only done it when putting my motor back in. Since you didnt have a core would you wanna sell me 1 or 2 of those long 8mm bolts that hold the alternator cases together? I noticed all of mine were OUT and not even threaded in anymore, I got them all threaded back in but still missing one or two, I'll pay for s&h...no bid deal if you dont want to, message me if you do
Old May 21, 2014, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm pulled mine through the bottom....already had an axle seal leak and a ripped cv boot so this was the logical route. The cv grease got all over the alternator so I thought I had a bad alternator when I kept getting a battery light. Took the alternator to a local shop who claims it is still good upon a physical inspection. I am no expert but how will they know if it is still good or not without bench checking it? Im going to be pissed if I put it back in and still end up with a batt light.
Old May 21, 2014, 04:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by tony gibson
Hmmm pulled mine through the bottom....already had an axle seal leak and a ripped cv boot so this was the logical route. The cv grease got all over the alternator so I thought I had a bad alternator when I kept getting a battery light. Took the alternator to a local shop who claims it is still good upon a physical inspection. I am no expert but how will they know if it is still good or not without bench checking it? Im going to be pissed if I put it back in and still end up with a batt light.
You should have started a new thread vs bumping a 3 year old one. There are many possible reasons you are getting that light that aren't the alternator being bad. Since you got grease all over everything you should probably clean the pigtails with electronics parts wash and inspect the rest of your electrical connections for corrosion etc.
Old May 21, 2014, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had same thing happened with mine when I first got it a few years back, cleaned the grease immediately but when I bench tested it it still tested bad so I pulled it apart and everything looked good even though it was bad. I would just replace it because it's a lot easier to go down and out than to put everything back and find out it is bad and have to take it all apart again or go up and out with it. But if you can bench test it that would tell u if it's good or not for sure.

Last edited by jason42003; May 21, 2014 at 06:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing the alternator