Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 8 sunroof question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo 8 sunroof question

anyone know if you can put the sunroof for an evo 8 back on the tracks w/out taking the headliner out?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can pull out the strip around the sunroof and the headliner will come down a little bit, and you'll have to reach your hand towards the back of the car to reach the motor and tighten the bolts that hold it in...please wear long sleeves if you are going to do it this way...the headliner is fiberglass...and hurts like crazy if you don't
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just took the headliner off, much easier to work on. when i took the liner off, the 2 bolts fell out which is the reason the sunroof wasn't moving. everyone here had the same problems w/ the screws falling off.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, when I took the headliner down and viewed it from taking off the trim around the sunroof...the bolts were no where to be found...luckily I had a couple bolts laying around that I was able to get in their place...no issues since though...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

lame. lol is ther a diy anywhere on how to take the headliner out? Do I have to remove any pillers?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which bolts are you guys referring too?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My sunroof started making some noise while in motion but I ignored it. Then it got stuck but I was able to get it closed. I wonder if my screws fell out also?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:21 PM

Are sunroof issues common in the VIII? My tracks are apparently broken and need to replace the hole thing. Anybody just eliminated their sunroof permanently?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

I don't wanna eliminate the sunroof. I know mine just fell off the tracks and it seems like those screws could be the culprit. I'm gonna try and remove the headliner on my day off. Is it easy does anyone know?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yea just remove the pillar trim, sunroof glass seal that is on the headliner and sun visors with clips. Also remove the oh **** handles. It should drop down then.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just remove the headliner its easy and makes the job go smoother
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'll do that on my day off next week. thanks everyone!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by luvboost
lame. lol is ther a diy anywhere on how to take the headliner out? Do I have to remove any pillers?
There is a DIY. Just do a search in the how to section and you should find it. Also, be careful when pulling the pillars off that you don't break the plastic tabs and clips that hold them on. I don't really know the best way to take them off (I broke several of mine) but maybe someone else knows what the trick is to doing it properly.

Originally Posted by Redspeed
Are sunroof issues common in the VIII? My tracks are apparently broken and need to replace the hole thing. Anybody just eliminated their sunroof permanently?
Yeah it's pretty common. The bolts are really short so if you can, get some that are maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer to help prevent it from happening again. Sorry, I don't remember the exact length of the bolts.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If your having funky wiggling coming from your head liner and a jamming noise coming from your sunroof as it opens and closes and then gets stuck in a weird place, then its the 3 bolts that hold it in. Take them out and locktite them before it gets too late. If it gets stuck don't force it or else you will strip the teeth on the gear, like I did.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

I can hear the sunroof motor working just fine. My sunroof however just doesn't move at all but I can slide it back and forth with my hands. It had to have just fallen off the tracks however that happens. I'm gonna order what ever it needs before I attempt to fix it.

Quick Reply: evo 8 sunroof question