Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Loud is you Evo in Dd

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As others have said, depends on how they measure it. The only time I got sound checked was 30 feet directly behind the car and I was holding the revs at 5k. Limit was 95dB and I got 92.X
Old Nov 5, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
You're setting off car alarms due to the exhaust's low frequency emissions. In a parking garage, they're amplified to an even higher degree. This is why knowing what is being measured is absolutely crucial. Simply put, the measurement can include low frequencies or not. The typically specified, municipality-driven XXdB limit does not include low frequencies (ie. it's A-weighted). This means that car able to set off car alarms can still have a relatively low dB reading IF it's A-weighted. This is why some muscle cars have quite a rumble stock and are still able to meet Federal guidelines. Same goes for how the sound is measured. The placement of the mic and its distance from the source is a huge variable, as well.

Interesting factoid. Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Interesting factoid. Thanks
Agreed.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too loud, I put my stock exhaust back on..!