Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Loud is you Evo in Dd

Old Nov 4, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Loud is you Evo in Dd

I was wondering how loud is 103 db? That is the limit at the local track.

Would a evo 9 with full TBE and test pipes be over this limit? I want to check before signing up for anything.

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

I would imagine it'll be awfully close. Just figure that the stock exhaust is 92db IIRC. What tbe?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

greddy cat-back, buscher downpipe and test pipe.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Although most track say thats there limit, I'm sure they dont follow it completely... JUST an FYI... I think the only reason they put that up is because they have to for licenses i believe... I could be completely wrong though.

Alot of the track's I've been to have had EXTREMELY loud cars which deff surpass 103DB limit and don't get kicked out

Last edited by DJAfterShok; Nov 4, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJAfterShok
Although most track say thats there limit, I'm sure they dont fallow it completely... JUST and FYI... I think the only reason they put that up is because they have to for licenses i believe... I could be completely wrong though.

Alot of the track's I've been to have had EXTREMELY loud cars which deff surpass 103DB limit and don't get kicked out
+1 that
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:33 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotabike
I was wondering how loud is 103 db? That is the limit at the local track.
Measured and weighted, how? That's key. 103dB can range from loud to excruciating, depending. No question your car with a TBE and a TP pulls more than 103dB at WOT measured within a few feet of the pipe, regardless of weighting. It's doubtful they measure like this, so find out exactly what's involved.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 5speedwtneed
+1 that
+1

Don't ask questions, run with it! Worry about it if you get black flagged
Old Nov 5, 2011, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

My car with TBE and test pipe is 95db at idle. I'd guess 120+ db a wot easily. I sometimes set off car alarms with on light throttle in paring lots.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
My car with TBE and test pipe is 95db at idle. I'd guess 120+ db a wot easily. I sometimes set off car alarms with on light throttle in paring lots.
+1 I always set off car alarms in the parking garage when I am driving through. I think it is time to get something a lot louder since I have out of state plates in CA.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:20 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
Originally Posted by hiner005
+1 I always set off car alarms in the parking garage when I am driving through. I think it is time to get something a lot louder since I have out of state plates in CA.
You're setting off car alarms due to the exhaust's low frequency emissions. In a parking garage, they're amplified to an even higher degree. This is why knowing what is being measured is absolutely crucial. Simply put, the measurement can include low frequencies or not. The typically specified, municipality-driven XXdB limit does not include low frequencies (ie. it's A-weighted). This means that car able to set off car alarms can still have a relatively low dB reading IF it's A-weighted. This is why some muscle cars have quite a rumble stock and are still able to meet Federal guidelines. Same goes for how the sound is measured. The placement of the mic and its distance from the source is a huge variable, as well.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

...deleted...double post

Last edited by FJF; Nov 5, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe I should go for it anyways then. It says on their website if your car exceeds 103db, you will have a chance to fix it. If you continue to go over 103db, then you will have to trail your car away.

That will really suck if they kick me out after 1 or 2 sessions.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 09:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toyotabike
Maybe I should go for it anyways then. It says on their website if your car exceeds 103db, you will have a chance to fix it. If you continue to go over 103db, then you will have to trail your car away.

That will really suck if they kick me out after 1 or 2 sessions.
I don't know why I bothered explaining. How about you give them a call and find out exactly what they mean by 103dB?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it depends on how you measure A LOT.

we had a loudness limit in our country, for ticketing purpose, and it faced huge legal challenges. noone outlined how should it be measured, so it was cancelled eventually.

measuring dB on WOT, cruise and idle gonna give you 3 totally different measurements. where do you put microphone, in cabin or within XX inches of your exhaust tip? straight from beyond the tip or at car's side? in some kind of premise or on the outside? it depends on even the humidity and air temperature. it's virtually impossible to measure it giving you repetitive readings on two different days for a single car.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:08 PM

Depends a lot on where the track is too. If it's an actual track where it's somewhat secluded I doubt you'll have any issues. If you're doing an AutoX in a school parking lot or something with nearby residential areas, you'd have a better chance of them enforcing it.

Search this Thread