Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think Im Calling it Quits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I think Im Calling it Quits

its been a 4 years.4 evos. 10 motors. 7 turbo set ups. countless tcases. and a handful of transmissions.
I keep to myself mostly on the setups ive had or what power im making. i added up receipts of parts i have laying around and i was disgusted. i have 2 motors in my shop and another currently being assembled. 3 motors 3 different set ups. im at the point where im overwhelmed and fed up.
i came across a deal on a new edge mustang and i purchased it. ive always wanted to build a grudge race car and/or a 10.5 car. yet at the same time my quest for 9s in the evo has been shot down 2 years in a row. and i have 2 different setups that should put me deeep in the 9s. the motor that is currently being built was my "last hurrah".

so i come to you guys what would you do? be done , part out and to the bank. and build a legit monster that i can compete with orrr spend more money finish it and whatever happens.happens.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

You have allready invested so much then why quit before you finish your dream. You will allways have times when you think why have i done this so much. But to me it will be all so sweeter when you make it to your goal. Keep your head high and keep on pushing through mate.

As soon as you get it back running you be woundering y you had thoughts of moving on
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

its hard when you've been telling yourself that for 2 years now. ive never quit anything but man what an easy way out.

i think im going to keep my last hurrah motor. and wait till someone designs a drivetrain that can hold up or even an auto trans. i dont want to be done but i need a break.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:19 AM

i say goo all the way! you already started
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Is it normal to be going through so many T-case's and tranny's?? how many runs do you do a year?? I'm just curious.....

Personally I hear ya on wanting to get out of it, considering the 10's of thousands that you must have thrown into this car already. Since your goal is 9's, then i say 3rd time is a charm. Or flip a coin, best 2 out of 3 lol.

Bottom line, its really a decision only you can make. There will be just as many pro's as con's.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everytime something goes wrong on my car I feel the same way its been up for sale twice I just closed my last for sale thread its fun sometimes and other times it sucks
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

hang in there man if your so close dont give it up give her one last huurraahhh
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

If you want to build a "monster" you're better off keeping it. The chances of getting ANY car and turning it in to a "monster" without a monster sized list of problems are slim to none.

If you can accept not having a "monster" and therefore saving all that money (both from repairs and mods) then get a "better" car. Pick up something you can be satisfied with stock or nearly stock (ie exhaust, intake, tune as only power mods) and even more something that you are good with only having a tune. While my MINI is no where near as fast as my previous cars I will say that with the tune and intake on it (and someday an exhaust) the money I have saved (over 15k if you count probable repairs on the Porsche and the rest of the money I owed on the STi) feels pretty nice in my wallet. And the car is still a blast.

And that's technically a downgrade. Why not jump up? The money you are saving could easily be spent on say an Evo X or new STi and then keep it stock + tune is all. Or even go "up" and get a 335xi or similar. If you have another car/truck for the winters in Jersey then get even crazier. Buy a 135i and throw a tune on it or get a Z06 or something. If you're just a die hard Evo fan then get one you like that is mostly stock and keep it that way.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Get a GTR. Lol. seriously up you. You've already gone this far. Just see it thru.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

To the OP, I def understand where you are coming from. Every platform has a "wall" and once you go past it you will soon find the point of diminishing returns. My next platform should be in my garage in the Spring and it will be a GTR or 2013 GT500.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dont Quit now Your almost there..Work a little harder and have a little more patience!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

if you want to drag race maybe you should buy a drag car. Even David Buscher is tired of drag racing them and realizes they are better suited to road and autocross. I just don't get why people use one of the most nimble platforms on the road to go in a straight line.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You already purchased the Mustang, Start a part out thread IMMEDIATELY!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:44 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tekniq
You already purchased the Mustang, Start a part out thread IMMEDIATELY!
Agreed. Best of luck.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Put the 4g63 in the mustang and run 9's.....

Seriously though, why have you had so many problems? Running 9's is a big deal but it's not THAT big of a deal. Sounds like some serious bad luck.

Quick Reply: I think Im Calling it Quits