Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Caught the modding bug (need counseling!)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha OP dont feel like the only one. sometimes i ask myself if its passion anymore or become an addiction or a little bit of both im always thinking of what part to buy next what area i need improvement on everyday at work all day lol. its pretty bad when i have bin trying to just sit at home doing nothing so i dont spend any money so that i have more money for parts to put into my car. anymore its almost an adrenaline rush to get some extra money saved up to buy a part haha many times i ask my self is there going to be an end or i should have never got into cars but then i think idk what in the world i would do with my money or what i would do to keep myself occupied i started out with just cams and a new head gasket 3yrs ago and well i ended up with a fully built motor now and supporting mods shooting for 600whp
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope your kidding about a built motor, tranny, bigger turbo and supporting mods costing 6-7k..... Dont kid yourself, you will be paying that much on a motor alone

Look to spend about 20k
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

started off with maxing out my evo 8 turbo, then said ok i want 450 on a fpred now im at 500 on a stock motor 6262 but i want at least 650whp with some pist n rods this summer ... it never stops WHYYYYYYY!!!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
I hope your kidding about a built motor, tranny, bigger turbo and supporting mods costing 6-7k..... Dont kid yourself, you will be paying that much on a motor alone

Look to spend about 20k
Why would motor be 6-7K? You can get pistons+rods for 1K? Or like a stroker kit for 2K I'm sure... getting tranny built for like 1.5ish... then a double pumper kit, fmic, stock frame turbo, and a few other things shouldn't add up to more than 7K
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
Why would motor be 6-7K? You can get pistons+rods for 1K? Or like a stroker kit for 2K I'm sure... getting tranny built for like 1.5ish... then a double pumper kit, fmic, stock frame turbo, and a few other things shouldn't add up to more than 7K
my motor is already built with stock turbo on it rite now i took the motor out nd sent to machine shop to get reringed because one cylinders compression was a lil low. but anyhow im going for 600hp like i said motor is already built, i already have the turbo laying around from my dsm days along with my big injectors. but the stuff i need to complete my build totals up to 9k.(and nothin was broken if your thinking that) thats not even any drive train upgrades like tranny t/c or rear end so then add the costs on if i would need the stuff i already have plus a tranny you would be looking at like about 14k with that stuff or more if you wanted something like an fp black i can show you my parts list if you dont believe me.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by bryan0
I think the answer to this question has a lot to do with where you are in your life. I'm at 400whp in my IX with an HTA Green. I can't realistically do e85 because they don't sell it near where I live. To get to the next level, and maintain any sense of reliability I would need to spend about $10k.

Not to sound depressing (it's just my opinion) but if you have a house, or are satisfied with your living situation and have enough $$$ that you could live for 3-6 months if you were laid off, I'd say go for it. It's not the same for everyone though. If your mid-long term priority right now is to have an 800whp Evo, then getting a built motor and tranny, etc. is what you need to do!

IMHO, 400whp is fun and relatively reliable in a stock-engine Evo. Plus you'll still take 98% of everything you'll see on the street (not that you would race them).
appreciate the advise, really do. not to play it down, but it doesn't seem like i'll get those necessities squared away too soon either. therefore... i live by the adage that you're only young once, and i use this in conjunction with the 2012 phenomenon to validate my obviously immature purchases...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

my evo is slightly modded but it did feel like the fastest thing i ever drove and then it did get slow. currently im building my honda and leaving the evo alone. gotta finish one project before moving to the next.

but anyways my idea for the honda was as follows: semi built b18 non turbo felt fast at first, keep in mind i drove a gs eclipse also at the time. it started feeling slow as 110hp is slow lol so i turboed it on 5 psi. felt like nothing could touch it for a week. i kept it that way until the turbo **** itself. when that happened i went all out. full build for 650-700hp.

what im trying to do is scare myself, literally! once i reach that point of being to scared to put the pedal to the floor i know my limit. im sure the evo will take much less horsepower to scare me being awd and having twice the traction so we will see.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdordie

what im trying to do is scare myself, literally! once i reach that point of being to scared to put the pedal to the floor i know my limit. im sure the evo will take much less horsepower to scare me being awd and having twice the traction so we will see.
haha unfortunately i havent found anything that has scared me yet. sometimes i wish i wasnt such an adrenaline junky then maybe the modding would end at some point and i wouldnt have spent so much money lol
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Buy a cheap 2nd car that's slow. That will be your best upgrade ever and will save you lots of money. My daily driver is an Nissan Exterra and this allows me to continually realize how fast my EVO is. I've only upgraded out of necessity (broke somehting) or to improve on an inferior design.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:54 AM

you're either the type who can't stop, or the type that is alright with bolt ons. I've been like this with every car I've owned. Driving daily with 450awhp gets boring surprisingly quickly. I'm looking to make 600+ before summer.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

It is a tuner's car afterall, it begs for modifications. This isn't your grandpa's Mercedes ...and just when you think you've modified it enough.........xD
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

power addicts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:22 AM

435HP atw DID scare me when i first test drove it last week .. I think im sticking with this power until i shave more seconds of my lap times through more suspension & brake upgrades.

But i know ill want more when im used to it..
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lucas19800
435HP atw DID scare me when i first test drove it last week .. I think im sticking with this power until i shave more seconds of my lap times through more suspension & brake upgrades.

But i know ill want more when im used to it..
go and buy your self a ferrari 430 , fand you will never get sick of the sound or of the power , ,

all the money we speend on this cars , enginge build .e.ct , after all the yeas , if you ad it upp you could bought a ferrari 430, ..

stick to the stege 1 powr upgrade , the most bang fore the buck ,
you will never get the monet back you spended the day you sell your car , and one day you will ,

dont wanna be negativ , but this is the reality
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

LOL. Really? Ferrari 430???

I have a FULLY built car with a widebody kit running 18x11.5 at all 4 corners. Decked 2.3 and head, gt35r, id2000's, shep ultimate ratio, 4.11 final drive, triple carbon clutch, ohlins suspension and every other supporting mod in the book and then some...Even totalling everything I've spent I'm not anywhere near 430 territory.

Then lets add to the fact that there is no way you wouldn't get bored. It is just human nature, something that you are used to (regardless of being a ferrari or not) loses its appeal to a degree.

Oh, and don't forget maintenance. If you have a f1 transmission, be prepared to spend atleast 20k$ every 20k miles. Then there is the modding thing...Seen what a reliable turbo kit runs for those cars? Go to Underground Racing's website and take a peek.

Then there is the issue of actual use. Do you honestly think that if you are scrapping together money to purchase an f430 you are going to risk it at the track? (Not to mention outrageous consumable costs: brakes, tires etc). Completely and utterly impractical unless you are making 1 mil+ a year and even then you'd be better off buying a GTR to daily drive and buying a radical sr3 for the track leaving you with change to spare to pay for consumables for a few years.....

***edit: To stay somewhat on topic - regarding the OP it is normal to keep looking for more. It is just like every other addiction/hobby (not talking about drugs here), we all have things that we choose to spend our time and hard earned money on. It's only a problem if you can't make logical decisons and start neglecting things that should be a priority.

Last edited by SDevo13; Nov 28, 2011 at 06:16 AM.