Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad IAC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brunz44
Also have a hks that was vta , I recirc'd it ran a lot smoother but still had the idle drop. I've checked for a boost leak and didn't hear anything so I'm In a weird way hoping my iac is screwy so I can fix the problem
its pretty annoying huh? ive been looking for an answer for a couple months now.. people look at me like i dont know how to drive a manual because itll almost stall at a redlight but ive been driving one since i was 12 (grew up in the country) so i obviously know how lol but good luck with finding out
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Mine would fire right n die. Unless i gassed it. wished i knew amazon sold it for that much. Got a discount at dealer but was still almost 300.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Mine did the same thing for so long... After a few months Seemed like every thing I did wouldn't solve it completely. Then I went Speed Density.... Never had that issue again! And gained a bit of power too...
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wizechef
Mine did the same thing for so long... After a few months Seemed like every thing I did wouldn't solve it completely. Then I went Speed Density.... Never had that issue again! And gained a bit of power too...
I asked my tuner.. they said it would be 400 or so.. i just dont want to spend that for another tune, call me cheap but im always busy so its hard to get tuned also
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:37 AM
Evolving Member

Those symptoms could also be due to a broken front 02 sensor which was the case on my car.
An easy way to check this is take of the spark plug cover and disconnect the front O2 connector.
Start the car and see if it fixes your idle problems, if it does you need a new front O2.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the biss first before buying parts. Biss = base idle set screw

It's sits on top of the throttle body and requires a Phillips screw for adjustment. Anti clockwise lets more air in and increases base idle rpm.

Disable iacv in Evoscan> start car and gauge rpm > adjust biss till your rpm is where it needs to be.

My base is set at 950. By correcting the biss first your iacv has less work to do.

If your still having issues take off throttle body and clean.

Replacing IACV should be last steP
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brunz44
Have the same problem on my 03. I've been thinking its the iac also. Checking it tomorrow to see if it's still in working condition . If the "grooves" or " teeth" are worn then I'm gunna replace it and see if that fixes the problem. If it does I'll make sure to let you know
I have seen my fair share of evo IAC valves and I have never seen one with the "teeth" worn out. In fact I dont even think those "teeth" touch anything that can cause them to wear out. More importantly not all IAC valves have teeth to begin with . There are a couple different designs for the evo.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Test the voltage on te IACV. Also I have a similar issue. Found that one of my nipples (giggle) was leaking on my intake. Was a super small leak but made my idle dip.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rcheung
I have seen my fair share of evo IAC valves and I have never seen one with the "teeth" worn out. In fact I dont even think those "teeth" touch anything that can cause them to wear out. More importantly not all IAC valves have teeth to begin with . There are a couple different designs for the evo.
Originally Posted by razorlab
I would for sure check the IAC, the little plastic teeth break on the earlier model year evos. If they do, nothing you put into the idle tables will do anything as there is nothing there to make the changes.

Off a different thread witch is what I'm going off
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by usnevo8
its pretty annoying huh? ive been looking for an answer for a couple months now.. people look at me like i dont know how to drive a manual because itll almost stall at a redlight but ive been driving one since i was 12 (grew up in the country) so i obviously know how lol but good luck with finding out

So I took out the iac today. It was dirty as I expected and the teeth were not completly gone but did have wear to them. I'm going to double check everything again tomorow for leaks before I go spend $$$$$ on the new part.

From what I've been reading about faulty iac the idle is very erratic, and thats not really the case for me just the drop when taken out of gear, as you said was happening to you. Im hoping I can get this solved soon , like ya said it's embarrassing pulling up to a stop light and your car stalls out or drops to 100 rpms. If you get it sorted out and runnin 100% pm me and lmk what your problem was I'll do the same
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:36 PM

mine IX start doing exact same thing with idling. i guess its common problem. anybody with solution?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Bump. Anyone solve their issue?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Check your voltage. Does it drop when the idle drops?

I re-arranged my gauges so that they weren't drawing power from the same sources and it helped alot. Now I have to check my alternator if its starting to crap out.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:50 AM

My evo 8 idles at 3k

So I have an 06 evo 8... Sometimes it randomly idles at 3k sometimes higher I've been told its the iac but it doesn't happen all the time and I either have to hit the rev limiter or shut the car off to make it stop but sometimes that doesn't work, ive even been in gear and the car still goes like its in cruise control(I don't have cruise) if the iac was bad wouldn't it be constantly having the problem or could it just be a leak, I pulled it off and cleaned it, looks like its fine..disco'd the batt, im trying to avoid dropping over 400$ for a new part if anyone has any idea whats going on or what I can do other then replace it.. Figured it was worth the shot
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
same problem as brunz44.

anyone solve this? i have 2 gauges running off of the cig lighter, i dont believe this is a problem but will see.

Quick Reply: Bad IAC?