Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Petition for E85 SMOG EXEMPTION!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebanana23
Umm no. I'm going to deviate from the "norm" here as some of us actually care about the environment.
haha then a evo isent for you.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I had any self control I would'nt even respond to this thread but I feel strangely complelled to rant about how incredibly niave and unrealistic it is. Firstly, of course I would want to be smog exepmt and run e-85, but there is no way in h3ll that will ever happen for hundreds of reasons most basically because this is not how the US. government works. The point of regulation is to control the total amount of emissions dumped in the atmosphere, to do this the EPA creates legislation at a manufacturer level to affect the widest possible population of poluting vehicles to try and make a dent in overall emissions. At the individual vehicle level the state and RMV are responsible for making sure we don't change that factory imposed regulation. The US is under increasing global pressure to comply with CO2 emissions, (which ethanol cumbustion creates as well as NOX) and the ~15% gas still makes plenty more NOX and CO all the while reducing MPG. Not an easy sell.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Signed it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Signed - hope it goes somewhere
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:58 AM

395 here
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wingless
If I had any self control I would'nt even respond to this thread but I feel strangely complelled to rant about how incredibly niave and unrealistic it is. Firstly, of course I would want to be smog exepmt and run e-85, but there is no way in h3ll that will ever happen for hundreds of reasons most basically because this is not how the US. government works. The point of regulation is to control the total amount of emissions dumped in the atmosphere, to do this the EPA creates legislation at a manufacturer level to affect the widest possible population of poluting vehicles to try and make a dent in overall emissions. At the individual vehicle level the state and RMV are responsible for making sure we don't change that factory imposed regulation. The US is under increasing global pressure to comply with CO2 emissions, (which ethanol cumbustion creates as well as NOX) and the ~15% gas still makes plenty more NOX and CO all the while reducing MPG. Not an easy sell.

While everything you are saying is true, we need to try, its not just about not haveing to smog our cars, its about less intervention from the government on us enthusiasts.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scumbee
395 here
Finally, a comforting note. Only 395 poeple out of, what, thousands decided to take a shot at circumventing the legislative process solely on the bases of wishful thinking. There's hope in the world after all.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
While everything you are saying is true, we need to try, its not just about not haveing to smog our cars, its about less intervention from the government on us enthusiasts.
The government isn't goign to make exception for the small minority that is "automotive enthusiast." The idea of E85 was for renewable energy. Us "enthusiast" is after it for its octane rating and the power that coems with it. Be honest, you're not running E85 because its clean and wonderful to the environment!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
The government isn't goign to make exception for the small minority that is "automotive enthusiast." The idea of E85 was for renewable energy. Us "enthusiast" is after it for its octane rating and the power that coems with it. Be honest, you're not running E85 because its clean and wonderful to the environment!
I'm not arguing the reliable aspect of it, I honestly could care less. emissions are so over regulated it is ridiculous and I'm for anything that can get the over paid EPA or CARB off of my or anyone's back. Vehicles that are not maintained and run poorly pollute way more than a modded car that is tuned correctly. I understand some regulation to clean up new cars from the factory, but one you buy your car its yours you should be able to do with it what you want.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Here in CA government is so messed that they lay off teachers and police but keep all the CARB employees and there are over a dozen that make over 250k a year, and they all have at least 5 people under them that make over $125k a year. All this info can be found on line Killcarb is an organization that has a lot of this info on there web site.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Emissions are over regulated?? Do you seriously think that dumping one of the most potent of the greenhouse gasses into the environment can be over regulated??
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

I read that the emissions from e85 were dirtier than of gasoline so why would anyone ever sign off on this?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Are you still complaining about the environment seriously?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoforstevo
Emissions are over regulated?? Do you seriously think that dumping one of the most potent of the greenhouse gasses into the environment can be over regulated??
Yes, when we pay more taxes for CARB in my state than we do police and teachers something has got to change.

Quick Reply: Petition for E85 SMOG EXEMPTION!!!!!!