Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does your Evo shoot fire balls during daily driving??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Your incorrect sir, yes doing pulls sucks gas, if the car is tuned right daily driving shouldn't be an issue. In fact it shouldn't matter being if your not getting on it like an ******* every second of the day your car should infact drive just like a regular 4 banger. If your keeping your foot into it and being stupid, or driving in lower gears (third instead of fourth, fourth instead of fifth) then yes your correct. In fact my evo does infact get decent fuel milage. Being I am redoing a new map to keep my tq down sure I waste gas doing pulls, but in the end my driveability is very very good. In fact if I were to swap back over to pump gas instead of e85 I am sure I would get even better gas millage. Trust me I drive 2 hours a day sometimes 3 hours a day in my truck when I am at work and I do go through a tank everyother day or so, so I know what ****ty gas millage is. Hell my talon with a full blown motor, gt3076r with 1150's gave me in my last full tank of gas about 33 mph on pump gas. That car is way more modded them my evo and makes just as much power so I don't what your saying I'm sorry.
Thats all cool man. But if you do WOT pulls alot, that wastes alot of gas. Same when people go and try to shoot flames, wastes gas. Not as much as doing WOT pulls though. My Evo is modded pretty well, nothing major, but is def modded. I hardly ever mash the gas or do wot pulls and my gas mileage is far worse then any of my other cars that were bone stock. Lets take my Civic Si for instance. I kept it stock and drove normally and gas mileage was awesome. In my Evo, not so much. I am not incorrect in any way shape or form. Either way its not a big deal.
You said you wouldnt care to shoot flames because it is a waste of gas. Well doing WOT pulls is a waste of gas to, so what is the big deal? That is the point I am making. But I'm not going to argue with you and get off topic with the OP. Have a happy holidays man.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
When I was on stock turbo my car started shooting flames very similar to a flame thrower during WOT. It wasnt a just short flame shot during shifting it was an actual flame about 2 feet long all throughout the pull in 3rd and 4th gear.

Later I found out that I had a bad boost leak through the fuel injector o-ring seals. I did not have a wideband at the time but I am assuming the flames were due to the car running super rich.

So I would assume, running really rich would cause you to shoot and or hold flames.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ssg_petty_210
Thats all cool man. But if you do WOT pulls alot, that wastes alot of gas. Same when people go and try to shoot flames, wastes gas. Not as much as doing WOT pulls though. My Evo is modded pretty well, nothing major, but is def modded. I hardly ever mash the gas or do wot pulls and my gas mileage is far worse then any of my other cars that were bone stock. Lets take my Civic Si for instance. I kept it stock and drove normally and gas mileage was awesome. In my Evo, not so much. I am not incorrect in any way shape or form. Either way its not a big deal.
You said you wouldnt care to shoot flames because it is a waste of gas. Well doing WOT pulls is a waste of gas to, so what is the big deal? That is the point I am making. But I'm not going to argue with you and get off topic with the OP. Have a happy holidays man.
You are comparing your civic si mileage to the evo???

Not even close in comparison. The reason for your bad mileage in the evo might also be related to you running that hks bov vta.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:52 AM

corvette driver told me he saw my car spit hot fire while smokin em. pretty amazed by it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Bump for this. I am extremely interested in this mod. Anybody have any solutions?

Also interested in cutting up my floorboards and installing aluminum sheets that fly off at speed. Anyone up for it?
Diamond plate is the ultimate weight reduction, bro!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get 21-22 MPG with the fireball mod lol. But I would set mine so that I had to go out of my way to hit that part of the map. Its fairly simple to do but I am afraid that its putting extra stress on my Turbo so I don't use it very often.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:41 AM

I wouldnt go out of my way to do it lol. Though it looks cool and sounds cool, but realistically, its not good. Only reason my does it from time to time as I am told is because my tune is a bit off after adding more parts.
Might be bad for your rear bumper, but not your engine. Modded turbo cars do it all the time, even with good maps set up. If anything, running a test pipe is prob better because you don't have any restrictions through your exhaust. Just my two cents ;]
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I know my car does it some times when you're really on it.

This happens sometimes on the overrun, skip to 25s or so if you're impatient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2qA5g38uA
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts

flames at :034 in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzFj8PA2EUk
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
You are comparing your civic si mileage to the evo???

Not even close in comparison. The reason for your bad mileage in the evo might also be related to you running that hks bov vta.
I sure am comparing my SI to my Evo. A motor is a motor right? I just started using the HKS BOV, I have been on the IX DV. I am no newbie when it comes to motors, and how they operate modded or not. By the way, my HKS is recirculated, not VTA. Read what I posted, then try to comprehend it. If I am misunderstood, then oh well, I'll live.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

"I need NOS ......, two of the big bottles...." - Random Evo Owner
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Drifting Away
"I need NOS ......, two of the big bottles...." - Random Evo Owner
And Harry I need it by tonite.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

I sure am comparing my SI to my Evo. A motor is a motor right? I just started using the HKS BOV, I have been on the IX DV. I am no newbie when it comes to motors, and how they operate modded or not. By the way, my HKS is recirculated, not VTA. Read what I posted, then try to comprehend it. If I am misunderstood, then oh well, I'll live.
A motor is a motor in terms of how they operate. This being said, the 4g and the si engine are nothing alike. Also, you have to look into what chassis the engine is attached to. The si is lightweight (lighter than evo) and is also fwd compared to awd for the evo. Therefore, this is a no compparison and is also the difference in mpg. Lets not forget the tune and driving habits.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
No because I am tooned lol.
Same here, cheers to having a good tune!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so...much...hate.... why can't we all just get along? a guy does what he wants with his car. I liked my fireball when I had my evo, so what? More power to yah. If you don't like it, don't click on the link to the thread, simple as that. I don't see why people come in here an hate. It solves nothing.

Quick Reply: Does your Evo shoot fire balls during daily driving??