Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rear Ended - Bumper Alignment, Trunk Not Closing - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Rear Ended - Bumper Alignment, Trunk Not Closing - Need Advice

About a year and half ago, I was mildly rear ended.

It knocked my JDM bumper down,

Name:  DSC06229.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  141.1 KB

But after it was repaired, it was never aligned properly and it always bothered me. There was no frame damage or anything, so they just "popped" the metal back out.

Name:  AfterSchaumburgRepair.jpg
Size:  112.9 KB

Because of the bumper alignment, I had it taken to another auto body shop this past summer - and while they took my money there was actually no real improvement in the way the bumper sat. I told them this, and they said it was the best they could do because they had to "fight" the last repair.

Name:  AfterABS4.jpg
Size:  99.2 KB

FYI:

The rubber bumpstop was not screwed all the way down, causing the trunk not to close properly. screwed it back down and closes like stock!

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be your rear body panel had damages to it. That is probably whats causing the trunk and alignment issues. That panel along with all other inner structure is very open to damage compliments of the OEM rear reinforcement being removed, modified, replace with A/M due to JDM rears.

A good shop with a proper electronic measuring system should be able to correct the situation
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alianum777
Seems to be your rear body panel had damages to it. That is probably whats causing the trunk and alignment issues. That panel along with all other inner structure is very open to damage compliments of the OEM rear reinforcement being removed, modified, replace with A/M due to JDM rears.

A good shop with a proper electronic measuring system should be able to correct the situation
thanks a ton - so the trunk not closing and the rear bumper damage are definitely related? the trunk not closing just started the other day.

it is good to hear that a shop will be able to take care of this.. especially since the last two shops did not.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Name:  DSC00396.jpg
Size:  123.1 KB
Here this is what the rear end of an Evo looks like. There are two mounting points right underneath the headlights and two points that meet the rear quarter panel. Its kind of hard to judge from your pic but I think the part that got hit wasn't completely pulled out/repaired.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deylag

Here this is what the rear end of an Evo looks like. There are two mounting points right underneath the headlights and two points that meet the rear quarter panel. Its kind of hard to judge from your pic but I think the part that got hit wasn't completely pulled out/repaired.
Thanks for the image. It IS repairable right? These shops are just being lazy? Its not like I have to get a new rear end or something, but what do they have to do? Heat it up and somehow mold/hammer it into spec?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know honestly if you had an issue with the bodyshop and they didnt want to fix it when your trunk wouldnt close as long as you had the reciept. I would have taken it back to them to fix it. If they fail to comply to fix it just file suit thats it.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
I dont know honestly if you had an issue with the bodyshop and they didnt want to fix it when your trunk wouldnt close as long as you had the reciept. I would have taken it back to them to fix it. If they fail to comply to fix it just file suit thats it.
But it closed back in the summer, and suddenly just yesterday it wouldn't close properly. Was it the shop that didn't do it right and the metal changed shape in the cold, or is it possible I got hit again?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
Heat it up and somehow mold/hammer it into spec?
unfortunately, it will never again be to "spec"
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jvlazzar
unfortunately, it will never again be to "spec"
well someone's gotta have a way of getting it close, and getting my trunk to close no?

shops can repair huge damage on cars I would think are totaled but they cant line this rear bumper up properly?

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 15, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Is the trunk fitted properly though and not loose or anything. I only ask since you said it went away then came back. It's fixable no doubt though.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shattered-4g63
Is the trunk fitted properly though and not loose or anything. I only ask since you said it went away then came back. It's fixable no doubt though.
thanks - if I said that I didn't mean it. It never did this before (trunk not closing properly), and then suddenly started. No changes except weather, unless someone hit me and I was unaware of it.

Thank god its fixable

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 15, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Im thinking someone might have hit you again now. Turn the bump stops in more and see if it'll close then?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alianum777
Im thinking someone might have hit you again now. Turn the bump stops in more and see if it'll close then?
yeah i AM in st louis.. when you look at how badly the trunk linesup right now its pretty bad.. what bump stops?

Quick Reply: Rear Ended - Bumper Alignment, Trunk Not Closing - Need Advice