Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Future of E85?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already shut down a few in the las Vegas area...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if it quit being widely distributed I'd probably still buy it as racegas.

I know the price jumped a bit this past year, when I got back to the states in Feb2011 it was ~$2.60 in Kentucky and by summer was $3.30-$3.40
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Price jumped 5 cents but its not higher then its been so far so basically. no change.

Every few months people spell E85's demise and its still here. Who knows what'll happen next. We could get someone in office that wants to make oil companies richer so they may make it harder for E85 to be made/purchased. or there could be significant advances in other forms of E85 and it could flourish. Enjoy it while its here.

Only negative is that some people experience the gunk build up. Use some E85 injector cleaner or some pump gas (map switch) and ride out. All of you that are afraid.......keep being afraid. More for the rest of us.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
E85 is now 3.19 here which is crazy. Same price as low octane...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:09 AM

i work at a gas station and the owner is the president of bio fuels in this area and said he hasn't heard anything about cancelling e85. they've spent way too much money getting it going to just stop now
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

over 3hrs to an e85 station. I paid 4.16 for crappy 91 last night. If I drive 30 min I get it .35 cheaper in oregon and 92 octane. Stupid Califonia.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Only negative is that some people experience the gunk build up.
You have much more faith in humanity that myself. I've been here for +5 years, have read and lightly correlated almost every single performance-based thread uploaded to this forum, I didn't just fall of a rock and I don't trust at least 90% of what I see.

Use some E85 injector cleaner or some pump gas (map switch) and ride out. All of you that are afraid.......keep being afraid. More for the rest of us.
I think that many folks are concerned with e85's corrosive effects; it's hardly an irrational stance. I've mentioned in past threads how GM offered E85 conversion kits for some if its vehicles. The kit included almost a complete replacement of the fuel system, etc, etc. Laid out, it covered an entire work bench. One can easily see who someone who isn't keeping his car, or an individual who enjoys modding as a hobby, wouldn't care about these factors. Similarly, the opposite can be a better approach for someone in a different position.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Understood. I modded my car with the intention of keeping it. I've been on E for a few years. WIth the latest fuel system I would say its been about 4 months so far. Aside from injector gunk build up I haven't been to worried about it. I have upgraded my fuel system but its to keep up with the power demands of my setup moreso then a fear of what E85 does/doesn't do to fuel systems. (Important to note i drained the E from the fuel line when my car sat for a almost a year and had no issues with anything corroding).

mrfred has been a pretty big advocate of E and hasn't had any issues with E85 and its supposedly corrosive nature. Everything i've read about it (That is obviously pro E85) seems to state its not corrosive. Whenever I hear its corrosive its usually coming from the misinformed, older gearheads or people just rhyming off what others have told them.

I know you do your homework so I'm not accusing of any of that. If you have any links talking about the corrosiveness of E85 can you PM them to me or post them here. I'd like to read up.

The article posted in the other thread is actually pretty informative. The fact that E captures moisture when it sits for a while and the moisture wil corrode fuel system components may be what people are referencing and if thats the case.....it doesn't mean E is corrosive by nature but it can contribute to fuel system components corroding quicker if left in a fuel system not being used over an extended period of time (or not getting a tank of pump gas run through it once in a while).

There are people who've been running it for a while consistently with no reported issues.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I am one of those people who have been running it for almost 2 years now without any side affects of gunk build up. Gunk is caused by the station using a previous diesel tank for the E85/ and-or varnish in your lines, tank, etc before e85.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the response I received from one of my State Senators, why we need more than one of these bastards dumbfounds me....anyway...

Dear [redacted],

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding tax credits for E85. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I understand your concern about the effects that the expiration of tax subsidies for the ethanol industry could have on E85 in the marketplace. I also agree with you that diversifying automobile fuel sources can play an important role in achieving the goal of decreasing our reliance on foreign oil and reducing pollution. However, it is clear to me that the ethanol industry has advanced to the point of maturity and no longer needs to rely on tax payer dollars to survive. Ethanol tax subsidies account for roughly $6 billion in federal spending each year through the tax code and, according to both the Congressional Budget Office and the U.S. Government Accountability Office, do nothing to guarantee domestic ethanol production.

At a time when growing our economy and reducing our deficit should be our top priorities, it just doesn't make sense to me that we should continue to support a program that unnecessarily distorts the market and increases our deficit. While we may disagree on this issue, I can assure you that should any legislation come before the Senate that impact E85, I will certainly take the information provided in your letter into consideration.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

i'll have to ask him for more specifics tonight when i see him, but my buddy says on his forum some people "figured out" that the gunk build up is attributed to some sort of electrical charge in the system. Anyway, just hearsay until i get a link to the thread... unless someone else has heard of that.

I love what true E85 is, but for me, i want to be able to DD my car and leave it sit while on business trips, and drive in snowstorms in the mountains going snowboarding, and E85 can't do all that for me without making sacrifices.