Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Opinion and advice buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion and advice buying a car out of state

Hey fellas, i will go up to new york to buy this evo and drive it back to florida lol. The car comes with a carbon hood, is it okay to drive that far with that hood? Also for those guys who have bought their cars out of state, what plate do you use or maybe no plate? Any advice and opinions will be very helpful consider it gonna be a 20 hours drive.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Contact your insurance company, let them know what you're doing . They may grant you temporary insurance to get the car home. Check DMV to see what you can do for legal temporary tags. Carbon hood should be no problem unless it's a reaaaallly crappy one.

Good luck!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Team Foren
Contact your insurance company, let them know what you're doing . They may grant you temporary insurance to get the car home. Check DMV to see what you can do for legal temporary tags. Carbon hood should be no problem unless it's a reaaaallly crappy one.

Good luck!
Thank you, its a seibon hood so im guessing no problem.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Technically I think you need transit tags in every state you go through. What I've usually done is taken the tags and mailed them back when I was done. Just make sure you have a signed title+bill of sale

FWIW my insurance co gives me 30 days to tell them about a new car purchase - you should probably call yours to check.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Technically I think you need transit tags in every state you go through. What I've usually done is taken the tags and mailed them back when I was done. Just make sure you have a signed title+bill of sale

FWIW my insurance co gives me 30 days to tell them about a new car purchase - you should probably call yours to check.
You think they will cover the car for me to drive back to fl.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by VKEVO
You think they will cover the car for me to drive back to fl.
Call and ask.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to get insurance for the car before you buy it. They will have you print out a piece of paper with your insurance info, and that will be your proof of insurance. You should be able to get a 30 day tag to, either from the state your buying it in or the state you live in. Contact your local BMV, if you're not buying from a dealer that might be where you have to go. If buying from a dealer, the dealer can give you a temp tag for the car at the time of signing the papers.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:08 AM

I have bought a car out of state....so I'll give you the 411. It all depends on if your buying from private party, the dealer and if your getting a loan or paying cash. If your buying from a dealer, tell them the car is going to be registered in FL. They will give you a 30 temp tag (good for all 50 states). If you buy from private party, when you go to the DMV let them know it will be registered in FL, they will also hand you a temp tag to get you to FL.

But as soon as you get back home, go to the DMV so you can order your permanent plates.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Put the car on your insurance policy before you go, all you need is the VIN #. bring insurance document with you, Florida you might be able to print out or wait for it to come in the mail. You can always remove the car if it don't work out. You will be covered with that. Now for the tags,

I went up to NY state to get my Evo so I know how this works, You will need to go to a DMV and get a temporary tag to drive vehicle home. You will need every document to get it and it still might be a hassle..

I ended up spending 4 hours in the DMV with the guy I purchased from and was denied because of a typo on my insurance document. Well, I had a set of NJ plates with me just in case this happened and ended up having to drive the car home an 8 hour trip bootlegged..

I hesitated because it was so far but said fack it, lets roll..lol I would NOT do this for a 20 hour trip down 95.. Plan on spending the whole day in NY and get it done right..
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you so much for a quick response guys. No matter what i get i always find myself back to an evo.I just Can't leave this forumn
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Btw it is from private party. Hopefully he lend me the tag so i dont have to go through the dmv.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by VKEVO
Thank you so much for a quick response guys. No matter what i get i always find myself back to an evo.I just Can't leave this forumn

Me and you both. I find myself browsing any from rx-7s with ls swaps to 03-04 cobras. But I always find myself right back on this forums browsing the for sale section.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

You'll be fine, just do as everyone says and you will be good to go.

As for the siebon hood, what makes you think it wouldnt be okay? I drive my evo EVERYWHERE, just drove to ohio and back from here. (10 hours each way) with my siebon hood. Drove it to OCMD and back no problems, they are designed to endure the elements
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pssst
You'll be fine, just do as everyone says and you will be good to go.

As for the siebon hood, what makes you think it wouldnt be okay? I drive my evo EVERYWHERE, just drove to ohio and back from here. (10 hours each way) with my siebon hood. Drove it to OCMD and back no problems, they are designed to endure the elements
Why i think it wouldnt be okay.. Because i have seen many people with hood pins along with a carbon hood., just making sure lol. Thanks for sharing. I think im good to go here fellas.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:21 PM

You shouldn't have to worry about insurance but that kind of distance you might want to figure something out.. and the whole state inspection thing has to apply since you are changing the title from fl to nyc

Quick Reply: Opinion and advice buying a car out of state