Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has Anyone Blown a 100% Stock Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Your comments piqued my curiosity, so I took a quick look at your past threads. It looks like you bought a used Evolution with ~11K on its clock. Your calipers were peeling, replaced under warranty. Short time later your TC was replaced by a built unit (edit - per post above, ~5,000 miles later), and a time later your ACD pump failed. The key words here are "used Evolution." I'm not trying to put you on the spot; just saying that a used Evo that went though who-knows-what before getting into the hands of caring owner many not be representative of well-maintained, unabused Evolutions as a whole.
I can understand your view point. The man I bought my car on was extremely ****, late 30's, multiple little kids. Had like 5 cars, viper, Typhoon, grandnational, family car and a business vehicle.... always wanted an evo and that is what he got to daily drive until he got a business vehicle. 11k isnt that much for someone daily driving the car, gave me the receipt for both oil changes since that is the only maint. a vehicle with that type of mileage would really have. Car was as clean as it would be sitting in a dealer showroom.
All of his other cars were modded, he took those to the track.... You get to know someones character meeting their family and spending a 1/2 day with them and believe them when they tell you they babied the car and just drove it to work.

But maybe there is that 1% chance he clutch dropped it at every light like a 16yr old getting to drive daddy's car when he's on vacation
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
All of his other cars were modded, he took those to the track.... You get to know someones character meeting their family and spending a 1/2 day with them and believe them when they tell you they babied the car and just drove it to work.

But maybe there is that 1% chance he clutch dropped it at every light like a 16yr old getting to drive daddy's car when he's on vacation
I see.

I think you understand that I'm not going to argue a negative, just as you must have a feeling somewhere deep inside that stock, unabused Evolutions - especially a IX with a strengthened factory TC - don't need new transfer cases at 17,000 miles.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I see.

I think you understand that I'm not going to argue a negative, just as you must have a feeling somewhere deep inside that stock, unabused Evolutions - especially a IX with a strengthened factory TC - don't need new transfer cases at 17,000 miles.
I certainly do, and I still feel its very strange... but cars which are abused are normally already broken when given to you... it goes for 6k miles before it breaks? its all strange in general... how many 600hp stock TC evo9's are there which are abused? its hard to abuse a TC on a stock evo... which is why its just a problem from factory...as I also strongly feel that this vehicle I got was never abused. Normally a guy who has modded vehicles which he does beat on, doesn't destroy his none modified commuter car (I'm sure a grown mature man like yourself understands that).... plus beating/abusing a vehicle and driving it hard are two different things, not that I feel either of which happened...
These cars are tested to withstand hard driving from the factory to avoid warranty issues, mits. does not intend you grandma these vehicles around in the first place. Durabilty tests in general are extremely severe, I'm an OEM engineer so I understand first hand the craziness of some of these tests.
I don't feel its very easy to abuse a stock car unless you do it intentionally, clutch drops, doughnuts, tug of war, you know stuff teenagers like to do

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Mar 14, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:48 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

...doesn't destroy his none modified commuter car (I'm sure a grown mature man like yourself understands that)....
Here's what I can tell you in honesty as a lifelong car guy. While younger folks buy high-performance vehicles for a multitude of reasons, an older guy buys a car like the Evo for just one. To drive the car as enthusiastically as possible. He doesn't care about street cred - the primary reason for an Evolution purchase by the younger segment - he could have just as easily purchased a more acceptable-looking machine with even one creature comfort, he could have chosen a car that (socially) marks his success in a more vivid manner, but no. He chose a Mitsubishi Evolution, arguably the most focused, raw, direct driving machine to grace our shores in the last 20 years that screams,"Look at me," even in its factory guise.

As for myself, a 48 year old man with a life and a family, if you think that I drive like, say, a friend's dad in his Maxima you'd be in for one hell of shock. I mean, you're talking to a guy who's lit his pads on fire; though, my Brembos look factory fresh. My stock tires were gone in ~7500 miles. Of course there's a monumental difference between (err) determined use and abuse. In my case, the Evo was purchased as a keeper, so its is never abused. If it were not, believe you me I'd have a little more unrestrained fun with it. Daily doughnuts, for example, would not be out of the question.

My comment is general in its scope and application. We often see folks with a newly acquired used Evo bragging how it was purchased from a guy in his 50s, thinking it was driven like his dad drives. Guess again.

Solely based on my own personal experience, I will say this: Look to your right, then look to your left. Look again to your right to the next person in line, and similarly to the left. Then once again. None of those poeple with be a around high-performance cars in 20 years. Think about who's left after the attrition and where his priories lie.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 14, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I guess in general you're a much different person. A stock evo is a bore to someone who has a modded Viper, 500hp Typhoon, and 800hp Grandnational... obviously this guy liked to collect fun cars and his intent wasn't to beat the crap out of an Evo and then sell it, his wife made him do it as he had too many cars. More often than not mature adults treat vehicles very differently than immature teenagers...

Regardless of any of this information... stock evo's have part failure which cost a lot of money to fix. Reliability is a completely subjective opinion and it turns out EvoM does not document all the of actual part failures across the country.... not everyone who is a car dude roams the internet forums.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
Here's what I can tell you in honesty as a lifelong car guy. While younger folks buy high-performance vehicles for a multitude of reasons, an older guy buys a car like the Evo for just one. To drive the car as enthusiastically as possible. He doesn't care about street cred - the primary reason for an Evolution purchase by the younger segment - he could have just as easily purchased a more acceptable-looking machine with even one creature comfort, he could have chosen a car that (socially) marks his success in a more vivid manner, but no. He chose a Mitsubishi Evolution, arguably the most focused, raw, direct driving machine to grace our shores in the last 20 years that screams,"Look at me," even in its factory guise.

As for myself, a 48 year old man with a life and a family, if you think that I drive like, say, a friend's dad in his Maxima you'd be in for one hell of shock. I mean, you're talking to a guy who's lit his pads on fire; though, my Brembos look factory fresh. My stock tires were gone in ~7500 miles. Of course there's a monumental difference between (err) determined use and abuse. In my case, the Evo was purchased as a keeper, so its is never abused. If it were not, believe you me I'd have a little more unrestrained fun with it. Daily doughnuts, for example, would not be out of the question.

My comment is general in its scope and application. We often see folks with a newly acquired used Evo bragging how it was purchased from a guy in his 50s, thinking it was driven like his dad drives. Guess again.

Solely based on my own personal experience, I will say this: Look to your right, then look to your left. Look again to your right to the next person in line, and similarly to the left. Then once again. None of those poeple with be a around high-performance cars in 20 years. Think about who's left after the attrition and where his priories lie.

When I bought my car it had 90k on it and the owner was my age (25) bought it new and I am sure he just babied the **** out of It, honestly I don't think the car had ever seen wot! Bull$h!t it was obviously driven hard cause the clutch slipped the tranny grinded the rotors were warped.... Lol it's an evo. I gave it some tlc with new brakes, shep tranny, some new seals to fix some leaks, a nice new clutch! I can honestly say I haven't launched it once since the new clutch. My point is anyone or 95% of people that buy these don't buy them to baby whether it's a daily or not it's gonna get boosted lol.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is some food for thought. If a guy, presumably older, has money to buy some toys and the said toy is a daily commuter he has the where with all to repair some hooligan antics. If those antics don't break the car during his ownership the wear and tear and metal fatigue is there for the second owner. In some ways a better purchase is from a poor college kid that lives with his parents and doesn't have the money to cover hooligan antics. Just saying "adult owned" is no gaurantee that the car is "cherry".
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that people get these cars and drop clutch bombs to brag to other people about the 'launch' and blow the tc to bits. I really, honestly don't see a factory, stock engine just exploding from paranoia alone though.

I have also witnessed my buddy shove a Cobb Access Port into his X and make it smell like raw gas lol.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
agreed, spun bearings is the one worst enemy of a stock evo engine, not sure why maybe poor maintenance but if you take care i think our cars are very reliable for higher performance turbo cars for the most part..
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with the above posts, especially the one by FJF. I don't think there is a large amount of people who own an Evo and don't use it for what it is. Otherwise, they wouldn't have bought it at all. I would also like to point out that what we call "babying" an Evo isn't quite the same as "babying" a Honda Odyssey. Example: when I "baby" my Evo, it just means that I'm taking it easy. Sort of. Keeping the speed down to a point where the police won't bother me. But I'm still not quite slogging around like most of the other drivers around me.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to add that i would LOOOVVEEEE to have that ferrari drivers job lol

Hey man we got tis 1.30 million dollar jewel go out and see if you can tear it to complete hell.....

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. lol
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

As a point of interest, just came across this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGm2e...feature=fvwrel
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
As a point of interest, just came across this vid:
Where did you find that? How fitting..."you can only do that so many times until..." I think that's what GTR owners said too
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:06 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Where did you find that? How fitting..."you can only do that so many times until..." I think that's what GTR owners said too
That vid was on the same Youtube page as the one in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hos-video.html
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Dropping the clutch = bye bye transfer case. Welcome to AWD

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Blown a 100% Stock Evo?