Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What did I break??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that IC piping was the first suspect and the first thing checked. I'm not personally doing the work on the car, but I know he went over that really closely.

We found out that the fuel pump had shut off and wasn't kicking on, so it became a matter of tracking down why (brand new Walbro). Checked relay, resistors, camshaft and crank sensors - turned out to be the crank sensor.

Glad it wasn't something more serious, but crank sensors usually aren't known to fail (as far as I know and can find), so I'm hoping it's not just the result of another more serious underlying problem (first thing that comes to mind is crankwalk...)

That's why I'm seeing if anyone else has had this problem?

The other thing I'm considering is if it could have been accidentally caused when the timing belt, water pump, and accessory belt were replaced (same time as all the other work). But that leaves me wondering why the car would run for 45 minutes before it decided to fail...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...having pinpointed the problem to your crank sensor....I can only share with you how mine went bad.

My balance shaft belt shredded for some reason and took out the sensor and metal crankshaft timing trigger plate...destroyed it actually... Double check all the previous timing belt work while you are down there anyways.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

So is the car running fine at this time? Your symptoms sound like when I chipped a piston. I wasn't on it but only 75% throttle. Somehow my piston hit my valve. I had hks 272s with the stock valve springs. We determined it was valve float. Shrug
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Tell who ever is working on your car to take the inspection plate off the CAS and see if your bolt somehow came loose from the cam. If he dont know what your talking about then take your evo somewhere else.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Well...having pinpointed the problem to your crank sensor....I can only share with you how mine went bad.

My balance shaft belt shredded for some reason and took out the sensor and metal crankshaft timing trigger plate...destroyed it actually... Double check all the previous timing belt work while you are down there anyways.
Mine went bad, we had to replace the bearings for my crank. It was indeed crankwalking goodluck.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j255c
Mine went bad, we had to replace the bearings for my crank. It was indeed crankwalking goodluck.
Oh this happened some time ago.... All better now.... I was just sharing my experience with the OP.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:16 PM

So what exactly was the "BOOM" sound?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by dakrush
So what exactly was the "BOOM" sound?
Good question. I'm guessing since I was starting to boost I had a bunch of air enter the combustion chamber with no fuel and it misfired?

It was exactly like an improperly-gapped spark plug, but way more intense.

I guess it's all back to running condition now, so I'll probably pick it back up tonight.

I still have that lingering question of what could have possibly caused the crank sensor to fail in the first place....

Age? But it's really coincidental that it happened a 3/4 of an hour after picking up the car after a cam, downpipe, cat, timing belt, water pump install..

Something got knocked during the install? But the guy is a pro and works on Evo after Evo after Evo, so I really doubt that, and then why would it run for 45 minutes before crapping out?

Something else went wrong that caused the sensor to fail? Crankwalk? I really doubt that, though...especially with the timing of when it would happen.

I have no idea.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i made it 30 minutes after they replaced my crank sensor, thinking it was just the sensor that went, only for it to go again. The crank wont walk enough to activate the sensor unless you're really loading it up(boosting it). Hopefully its not, but if the original sensor had scoring marks on it then that is indeed the crank walking and clicking the sensor off.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
cz1

Sounds like a good old UICP pop off. I get a lot of those
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cams were installed wrong and the piston hit the valves?