Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might buy this evo 6...

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might buy this evo 6...

So ive owned my evo X for about 3 years and love it...I go back to my home country India pretty often and drive a 2011 BMW 520d there and im kinda bored of it. the evo X in india cost about 96,000 dollars so that out of the question.
The evo 5 was the evo that got me interested in these cars and I have always dreamed of owning a 5/6. Anyway im considering buying this car but im kinda worried as ive never bought a used car before, let alone 12 years old.

This car is in india and I will be keeping it there, it is only 1 of probably 5-6 others in the country.

Dont have exact details on the car, my friend is going to go check it out this weekend. Its an GSR with TME bumpers and wing. It has only 30K kms on it so abt 18,750 miles. The exterior is mint, it has intake exhaust and BOV. From the engine bay pic it looks like he's VTA and i dont know weather its tuned. From the interior pic and the fact that he's VTA looks like the guy is kind of a ricer, 6gauges? 3 control modules?

My goals for this car would be just basic bolt-ons at first and then build the engine and shoot for 500whp. Now i dont know of any good tuners for this platform that are in the country, that is my number 1 concern. Also it doesnt have ACD and launch control or MIVEC which is also a drawback but I guess launch control can be tuned in and so can anti-lag and NLTS. The car will see 2-3 track days a year at max but mainly its ment to be just a fun street car and DD for the next year at least.

Anyway what do you guys think? and anyone who can help me tune this please let me know.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Looks pretty clean and well maintained given the age of the car. Street tuning it yourself is always an option, but I'm not sure how comfortable you'd feel doing that. Personally I'd go for it if everything checked out.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much is this in US dollars ?
Old May 9, 2012, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
To be perfectly honest, 500 whp is a waste on most Indian roads.

As I'm sure you'll be aware, if you're DD-ing it, and you're in any sort of urban area, you'll be spending a lot of time in traffic. You'd need a somewhat solid clutch in it to handle that sort of power - would you be game to drive with that everyday? I'm originally from India as well, and I've got an Evo 6 with an ACT 6-puk - I wouldn't want to drive it if I was still in Indian traffic .

Then you've got the issue of maintaining it. With that sort of power, sooner or later you'll break stuff. Who would you go to if you smash a transfer case? If you're not over there for an extended amount of time every year - how long would you need to wait for parts to turn up? Not a big deal if it's a track hack, might get quite frustrating if you're planning to use the car every day. Do you have a source for fuel? I haven't been back in a couple of years now, how readily available is high octane gas that you'd need to safely run 500 hp?

That said, keeping it relatively standard (+bolt ons) would be pretty easy, and it would be a hell of a lot more exciting than a 520.

Whereabouts is that car from? Looks like a WB plate - Kolkata?

Last edited by Rohit; May 9, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by adriano_917
How much is this in US dollars ?
32K. exactly what a base Honda accord costs!!

Originally Posted by Zerofour1223
Looks pretty clean and well maintained given the age of the car. Street tuning it yourself is always an option, but I'm not sure how comfortable you'd feel doing that. Personally I'd go for it if everything checked out.
It will most likely be street tuned but i dont have the tunning skills so probably will require a Etune

Originally Posted by Rohit
To be perfectly honest, 500 whp is a waste on most Indian roads.

As I'm sure you'll be aware, if you're DD-ing it, and you're in any sort of urban area, you'll be spending a lot of time in traffic. You'd need a somewhat solid clutch in it to handle that sort of power - would you be game to drive with that everyday? I'm originally from India as well, and I've got an Evo 6 with an ACT 6-puk - I wouldn't want to drive it if I was still in Indian traffic .

Then you've got the issue of maintaining it. With that sort of power, sooner or later you'll break stuff. Who would you go to if you smash a transfer case? If you're not over there for an extended amount of time every year - how long would you need to wait for parts to turn up? Not a big deal if it's a track hack, might get quite frustrating if you're planning to use the car every day. Do you have a source for fuel? I haven't been back in a couple of years now, how readily available is high octane gas that you'd need to safely run 500 hp?

That said, keeping it relatively standard (+bolt ons) would be pretty easy, and it would be a hell of a lot more exciting than a 520.

Whereabouts is that car from? Looks like a WB plate - Kolkata?
Hi Rohit, I agree, maintaining it at 500whp will be a pain in the ***. I will DD with bolt-ons for a year and a half till i move back permanently then buy another DD (maybe a X or 335) then this will become a track/weekend car with a roll built engine,TC, DIff.
Car is from WB, currently in Karnataka and will be shipped trucked to Hyderabad AP if i buy it.

Ive driven an evoX with an ACT 6 puck and dint think it was bad at all, much more DDable than my exedy stage 2 HD. Maybe the pedal feel on the X is lighter?
Traffic and Roads in Hyderabad is quite a bit better than most places in india, Fuel is somewhat gonna be a pain in the *** but there are 3 stations in the city that have 97 octane.

Last edited by KARo7; May 9, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That makes sense. I wouldn't go too crazy with it unless I had another car I could use if something went wrong. And besides, even with minor bolt ons, you'd be able to pull away from 99% of cars there.

I was just using the clutch as an example. My car is very drivable, and I honestly prefer it to the stock clutch, but I find if I get caught in rush hour traffic here, it doesn't really like the stop and go thing after a while. Once you're moving I don't think it's any worse than stock at all. Not saying it can't be done, just that if I was going to be driving it in traffic everyday, I might not enjoy it very much.
My frame of reference is Kolkata, so it might be quite different to what you'd have to deal with in terms of roads/traffic.

In terms of tuning, I believe there might be a few places that are starting to get into it in India. From talking to friends in India about it before, Red Rooster Performance is one company that's tuning cars there at the moment. Might pay to research if there are any others that do as well? Though I can't really comment on how good they are.