Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shifter Extenders, anyone here using them?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Extenders, anyone here using them?

Hi guys,

I recently got some transmission parts rebuilt and this sparked the interest in me to protect it as much as possible. Therefore, I was wondering if adding a shifter extender would make the shifts go in easier and if this would in turn protect the synchros, eliminate the notchniess and make the overall shift smoother.

I did a search and it seems not many people here use them. I just ordered one from ebay 3" extension and I'm hoping it will do a great addition to my blox counter weight knob.

If anyone else is using them, please let me know what you think about them and if it helped with any of the problems I mentioned above!

Thanks in advance!
Old May 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my experience it feels sloppy. Mine was a alumiunum extender, sure it was light; but it felt cheap,like I can break going aggressive with it. I really believe though its how you drive the car. From time to time I switch it just to change my driving habits soley in cruise.

In terms of bangin through gears a extender is not for me. I will be getting reduction shifter,soon.

Drivetrain
-Shep 2 t-case
-Stock clutch
Old May 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
3" added to base
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/v...4-33_486-1.jpg
Old May 17, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
In my experience it feels sloppy. Mine was a alumiunum extender, sure it was light; but it felt cheap,like I can break going aggressive with it. I really believe though its how you drive the car. From time to time I switch it just to change my driving habits soley in cruise.

In terms of bangin through gears a extender is not for me. I will be getting reduction shifter,soon.

Drivetrain
-Shep 2 t-case
-Stock clutch
Was that with a stock shifter? I have a short shifter which can be set to 40% or 15% shorter than stock, and it's set at 15%. Perhaps that would help with the sloppy feeling?
Old May 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I had never seen that kind of set up. What are the benefits?
Old May 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@Don Q- It was stock. What brand is it that is adjustable that you have., is it TQ solutions.

------

@211ratsbud-- where did you get that hardware to extend the base?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a four inch extender for my Evo IX-MR. I also have the WORKS short throw shifter kit for my 6-speed installed. I love the extender. I bought it from a Seller on here named: 'Ruthless'. He's a good guy and ships fast. Quality product! I'd buy from him again in a second.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

@Don Q- It was stock. What brand is it that is adjustable that you have., is it TQ solutions.

------

I bought mine from ebay. I don't remeber correctly, but someone had it side by side with a Brand Name short shifter and they were identical. The ebay one was about 1/3 the price of the other. It's made out of steel and it has great quality.

I don't remember the vendor which I bought it from, but it was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-NEW-03...#ht_1866wt_952

I had the 40% setup, but it felt way too aggressive and I was afraid I could hurt the tranny.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
I have a four inch extender for my Evo IX-MR. I also have the WORKS short throw shifter kit for my 6-speed installed. I love the extender. I bought it from a Seller on here named: 'Ruthless'. He's a good guy and ships fast. Quality product! I'd buy from him again in a second.
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

------

Correction, now that I read the description it says you have 2 options 50% or 35%. Mines set at 35%!
Old May 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Longer bolts 3 washers per corner and a bushing from hard ware store. 12$.. shorter shifter height can be taller than stock. Depending on height you may need to trim console. 2.5 doesnt nees trimming.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Heres what Ive been using, but dont think it reduced my 2nd gear notchy feel

Theres a decent shift knob thread here somewhere with a lot of different set-ups

Joe
Old May 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I also have the aluminum 3" ebay one. I like it. I had it with the stock shifter and now with a short shifter. I recently took it off to experience the short throw shifting. It's a lot easier to get into gear with the extender. However, it feels a lot crisper now that I took it off.

Here's what mine looked like the other day.

And today:
Old May 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't driven an Evo with an extender, but I've driven a couple 240s, a 350Z, and a few Hondas with extenders. I LOVE a short shifter with an extender. The less time I have to have my hand off the wheel, the better.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
The less time I have to have my hand off the wheel, the better.
Precisely this.. I run the Circuit Hero stainless. No aluminum for me in this department. No fear of stripping threads and bending when bangin the gears! I have a stock shifter so my throw is a little long now but I can handle it. Afterall.. years of driving trucks with granny lows and uber amounts of throw...this is still short throw to me, lol.

Quick Reply: Shifter Extenders, anyone here using them?