Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dur, so that didn't go as planned - ABS sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dur, so that didn't go as planned - ABS sensor removal

So after pulling codes from my ACD ECU to see why the system isn't working (it's not a code 82) I got codes for the FL and RR ABS Sensors, as well as code 26 for the wheel speed system as a whole. So, I ordered up two new sensors and tonight I wanted to take them out. As it turns out, the sensor in the FL hub was RTV'd in place because apparently the retention bolt snapped off on whoever last tried to mess with it. I ended up using a chisel to get under the sensor and pried up - it snapped at the base of the hub so I have one part that is the hole for the retention nut (filled with RTV mind you) and the top magnet. The rest is still in the hub. Same thing happened on the rear hub. My thought at this point - should I just get new hubs, or should I take out both hubs and get them to a machine shop to have the rest of the sensors pressed or drilled out? 6 of one, half a dozen of the other? Either way, I ohm'd both sensors and they both show .4 to .5 ohms, supposedly they should be 1.2 to 1.6. I'm going to test the new sensors when they come tomorrow. Also, even though those codes were showing in the ACD ECU, my ABS light wasn't on. With two sensors unplugged, that light is now on. Such a weird issue... Thanks for any insight!

Todd
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention, despite their best efforts on the FL sensor, there was a ton of crap between the upper and lower magnets in the sensor. It's no wonder it didn't work. I'm still not really sure on the RR sensor, but it ohm'd out low so I guess it is bad too.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To guarantee the fix, you should probably just get new knuckles... (spindles, w/e you want to call it.)

Heavy sigh as you open your wallet for this one
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
personally I would go to a machine shop and see what they could do for you, it certainly is fixable without buying a new knuckle. The surface the sensor mounts to is very important plane not to alter or get perfect again once worked on, it will change the airgap of the ABS sensor.

pictures here would help
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I ended up picking up a set of knuckles, sensors, and wheel bearings from a poster on here parting out a 17k mile EVO IX. I will try to *only* use OEM parts in situations like this. Saved me a lot of money going this route, and I know everything will be good and functional.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ToddRhodes
I ended up picking up a set of knuckles, sensors, and wheel bearings from a poster on here parting out a 17k mile EVO IX. I will try to *only* use OEM parts in situations like this. Saved me a lot of money going this route, and I know everything will be good and functional.
Saves head/heartache for sure. Glad you're getting it handled man.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:57 AM

I have been having the same issues with my Evo 9 After a Clutch install (CM fx400). Everything went fine with the install just the wedge collar on the PP popped off when i was putting the Tranny back up and i got most of the Tranny bolts back on before i had seen the wedge collar and accepted that the trans needed to be dropped a second time . It wouldnt have been that bad if I wasnt doing it on Jack stands. lol
But ever since i have had a service engine light for the Wheel speed sensor , Not sure where to start with this so if you have any updates or pictures that would be really helpful.

Not sure but ever since My reverse has been popping out But if i hold the cables under the hood in place for reverse it works perfectly smooth. i have just been dealing with no Reverse for the time being but looking for some answer . Any chance that the Wheel speed sensor is causing my problems with reverse ?

EDIT:
I used my COBB access port to read the engine Codes and the code is for my Vehicle Speed Sensor not my Wheel speed sensor. Going to check it out today.

Last edited by tiny2craze; Jun 30, 2012 at 09:48 AM.