Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Capabilities of Evo etc in DEEP snow..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capabilities of Evo etc in DEEP snow..

I'm in the market for an AWD, turbo-charged sedan this spring. I've basically narrowed it down to an Evo, and possibly an STi. I've heard of WRXs handling better than 4x4 SUVs in the winter, and stories of people w/ AWD sedans doing fine driving past SUVs that had to pull over due to nasty conditions.

I like near Rochester, NY, and this winter was brutal. My driveway has a good 12-15" of snow in it, drifted, and thick. My winter vehicle is a Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 w/ some fairly meaty A/T tires. I can make it through, barely, if I really gun it. How would a vehicle like the Evo, with good snow tires (or all-seasons) handle this? I realize it's an AWD sedan, not a 4x4 truck, and more suited to wet or slippery snow on roads, than deep stuff.

I'm just curious to see if I'm going to need to get my driveway plowed everyday when it's really bad
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

you'll probably need to plow.. the evo is great in snow but you can definitely high-center it on large drifts if you try... the car has a longer wheelbase than the STi which makes it easier to get stuck in very deep snow.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, deep snow you will end up with a "snow plow effect" and an intercooler grill area packed with snow. You may even crack the lower part of the bumper cover if there has been deep snow and then it "hardens up" from freezing rain or a partial melt and re-freez. I wouldn't drive long distances in anything deeper than the ground clearance myself. Mitsubishi says minimum ground clearance is 5.5" so if there is anything more than 6" wait for the snow plows to run or take the Isuzu. Now, for just getting out of the driveway down to a plowed road the EVO would be fine. Just avoid the "chunks" at the end of the driveway put their BY the snow plow

Keith
Old Feb 2, 2004, 06:31 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Re: Capabilities of Evo etc in DEEP snow..

Originally posted by infin|ty
I've heard of WRXs handling better than 4x4 SUVs in the winter, and stories of people w/ AWD sedans doing fine driving past SUVs that had to pull over due to nasty conditions.
Right. On the slippery stuff, a good weight distribution is more important to handling than AWD. AWD can help you get going, and can be limited help in turns (with a bit of technique practice), but it's the car's balance that makes it controllable at minimum traction. Most SUVs are severely nose-heavy, so a well balanced car will handle better.

I drove a RWD Alfa GTV-6 (with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution) in Massachusetts for a couple of winters without even putting snow tires on it. It had a heck of a time getting started on hard-pack, but it handled great.

Until now, some of the frigid air has kept down the accumulations in MA, but my EVO with Nokian WR tires managed a 10 inch fall without a problem. (The WRs are better in deep snow than on ice.)

For your driveway, it would be better to clear some of the snow. Heavy snow packed into the grill of any vehicle isn't good for the engine. (Was it 2002 that the Scooby in the Sweden rally got a snootful of snow and overheated?)

Besides, if you don't clear the drive, how do you know you're not driving over the wife's flower bed?

Last edited by DGS; Feb 2, 2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

The wife...haha not quite yet. It's all frozen anyway. I really wish I could freaking go test drive these mothers, but if the roads are even the slightest bit wet I get the same "Sorry, they have summer only tires, we can't risk it". And that is with the dealer driving as I am not very good at stick. Maybe we'll get a dry day in March.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by infin|ty
The wife...haha not quite yet. It's all frozen anyway. I really wish I could freaking go test drive these mothers, but if the roads are even the slightest bit wet I get the same "Sorry, they have summer only tires, we can't risk it". And that is with the dealer driving as I am not very good at stick. Maybe we'll get a dry day in March.
They are doing the right thing though. You don't want to try driving in winter condiontions on those stock tires.

Keith
Old Feb 2, 2004, 09:05 AM
choad

I meant to post a pic awhile back..

I am living and breathing proof of why you DO NOT drive the evo in deeper than a foot of snow..

I have a two inch long crack in the lower part of the front bumper..by the intercooler.

It was due to the weight of the snow and impact against the lower tube/pipe of the intercooler..The car was handling so awesome in the snow that I forgot about this sensitivity to the deeper stuff.

I can post a pic of need be, but consider this a warning..

It also pushed the screen in a little too..so be careful!!
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

With an SUV, you have large ground clearance....which is why you can drive through large snow drifts.

The nose of the Evo is only like 5 inches off the ground. I would highly suggest you do not attempt to drive through snow that is higher than that. If you do, you will risk breaking the lower front lip.

I think the people who are commenting on the great handling of our AWD cars are referring to it's ability to drive over packed snow.

SC~
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

in 12" of snow you need a truck
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone ever tried to go for a true snow WRC setup? With like the skinny tires and the suspention all jacked up? That would ROCK!
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

It does VERY well in snow less than the ground clearance as stated. Once you get above that, you will end up bottoming out and losing traction at random corners. I was able to successfully park in about 10" of snow one time, but I wouldn't recommend it. Took me about 5 minutes whereas a normal parallel parking job would be done in 20 seconds.

Here's my example of the car doing "well" in about 3" packed/3" fluffy snow. Quite good times!!

http://images.330i.net/evo/in_the_sn...o-exterior.avi
Old Feb 2, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, another Rochesterian on these b0ards...w00t.

i doubt 12 inches of snow would be good for an EVO...i mean a light coat of slush on the road, and an EVO with good snow tires i dont see having a big problem, but a foot of snow, is a lot. IMO.

at least you dont have to drive a corolla in this weather . other night on middle road was only doing 15-20, my friend lost control of his car on a small hill in the slush, plowed thru 2 snow banks, and the 3rd one, of mostly solid ice finally stopped us....lol.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Gleason, do you go to RIT? Wuttup! I used to live in grace watson.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by webguy330i
Here's my example of the car doing "well" in about 3" packed/3" fluffy snow. Quite good times!!

http://images.330i.net/evo/in_the_sn...o-exterior.avi
Nice video!

I'm also slidin' through a Rochester winter in an Evo, it does great as long as you have ground clearance.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

whats up webguy330i

Originally posted by webguy330i
Hey Gleason, do you go to RIT? Wuttup! I used to live in grace watson.
I live out here in henrietta/rush[ right on border of the 2 towns]No, i'm not currently attending RIT.... Going to MCC starting next year for 2 years, then hopefully gonig to RIT . You currently going there?!?!

Quick Reply: Capabilities of Evo etc in DEEP snow..