Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GSC S2 on stock tune?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GSC S2 on stock tune?

If I install a set of GSC S2s, springs & retainers into my IX, would it be safe to drive on a factory tune straight to the tuning shop? Or should I just let them install the cams and tune it right away?

Right now mods are just intake and a TBE.

While installing the cams, I would also be installing a lower ICP, twin disk clutch, Shep T-case, 1000cc injectors and a Walbro.

Thanks guys
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the injectors ull need a rescale to have it drive able and with the cams I drove mine to the tune shop but I did stall out on me a couple times but no boost what so ever..just my .02
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Got it. So I could do the cams, but have them install the injectors. Labor on installing injectors is A LOT less than labor on cams haha I'd definitely keep off the boost til it got tuned

Thanks for the quick reply
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmav1989
With the injectors ull need a rescale to have it drive able and with the cams I drove mine to the tune shop but I did stall out on me a couple times but no boost what so ever..just my .02

I agree also it may be hard just to get there. With the cams it probably isn't going idle to smoothly until its tuned. How far do you have to drive to get tuned? You may want to consider towing the car to your tuner to be safe.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I agree also it may be hard just to get there. With the cams it probably isn't going idle to smoothly until its tuned. How far do you have to drive to get tuned? You may want to consider towing the car to your tuner to be safe.
That's another thing I was debating... It's like 2 hours to English Racing from where my car is lcoated... it's a long way to go without a tune. Just trying to save as much on labor as much as I can...
I've blown a motor before though, risking that definitely isn't worth saving on labor. That sucked and wasn't cheap haha

Last edited by spinner85; Feb 4, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stay off the boost and limp it there.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm honestly trying to be helpful, so don't take this the wrong way. If you don't know what you're doing you can cause some serious damage installing cams. It will get expensive real quick when your timing belt jumps and your pistons decide they want to get in a fist fight with your valves!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flymx771
I'm honestly trying to be helpful, so don't take this the wrong way. If you don't know what you're doing you can cause some serious damage installing cams. It will get expensive real quick when your timing belt jumps and your pistons decide they want to get in a fist fight with your valves!
Not taking it the wrong way, and thanks for the input That's another thing I'll have to consider. If I break or strip a bolt, or miss a tq spec, I'd be F***ed.
With my circumstance, I'm not going to have a big window to get my car built, screw up, fix my screw up, get it tuned and ready to go (currently stationed in Italy with my car stored near Seattle, but I'll be home briefly this year to tune my car and get it shipped to my next base.)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:06 PM

I did the same. I just kept out of boost.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

did you upgrade your injectors as well? or just the cams?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

what i would do is maybe stay at a nearby motel within a mile or so and take all my tools and do it there.. on a good clear couple of days, a night or two at a motel will still be much less
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Call The tuner see if he can give you a map to flash on to your ecu that will get the car to you much safer then a stock tune
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
See if they will give you a base map to drive down on. ER is a great shop so I don't see why they wouldn't. Failing that its better to limp down with the cams only as opposed to doing with both a wally and injectors.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cams aren't that bad to do...with it being a ix its a few more bolts to loosen...one thing use proper tq specs, make sure u lube up the cam bearings and the lobes during install. Other then that make sure your timing marks are lined up after reinstalling the cam gears, and go one full revolution turning the crank pulley to make sure your timing marks lined up. As far as drivin on stock tune you'll be ok cruise it stay under 10 psi if need be, don't idle for long...good luck.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're having Aaron tune it I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a base map to drive it there on. Shoot him an e-mail.

English Racing

Last edited by Blue91lx; Feb 6, 2013 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: GSC S2 on stock tune?