Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can I buy a polyurethane lip/vortex generator & buy CF wrap and wrap it on my own?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I buy a polyurethane lip/vortex generator & buy CF wrap and wrap it on my own?

Please don't laugh at my seemingly silly question. What I am wondering is if I can purchase a polyurethane lip/vortex generator/exhaust heat shield and separately purchase carbon fiber wrap, and wrap the products to give them CF look?? I am looking to do this because poly is pretty much just as light as CF, not as strong, and hundreds cheaper. I am interested in a Ralliart style lip for my Evo 8 and am not looking to spend $329 only to have the lip immediately scrapped up and damaged because my car is lowered and the roads around me are not ideal. I would much rather spend $89 on a poly lip and $14 on a 2'x5' of CF wrap and make the product look nearly identical, only at a fraction of the price, and something that I can live with seeing it get chewed up as I drive along.

I have also considered doing this to a vortex gen. I can buy an ebay vortex gen for $29 vs $89 for a cf piece. They will be just as light, maybe not as strong, and look the same (hopefully).

Has anybody done this with good results? Any photos of your finished work? I appreciate any responses and constructive criticism.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You definitely can do this. You can wrap anything with cf wrap these days. I'd hop onto YouTube and search for some cf wrap vids.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick google search.

Looks wrapped.

http://www.ultrex.com.au/evo-7-8-9-v...e3b4a1b89ee377
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done 3m Di Noc wrapping and it's easy but sides/curves where the material would need to come together such as 90* turns can be a pain. "Where the hell would you get a 90*?" At the end, next to the wheel well. If you do not have enough to cover it appropriately though, trying to line it up to look like 1 piece, don't even try! You can easily tell the two apart and looks like poop. How do I know? Experience.

Utilize a heat gun or hair dryer to get max adhesive and flexibility. As mentioned, if you are competent enough to work on almost anything. All your doing is "wrapping" a piece of adhesive onto a body part. Use the tip above and a little bit of logic, you'll be fine! Leave enough slack to come to the other side and adhere so it doesn't start to peel.

Last edited by NJ_evoIXgsr; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha i guarantee you that anyone who posted in here and said that you could wrap it has no idea what they are talking about.

i tried multiple times with a heat gun to wrap 3m di-noc over my diffuser and it will not work without creasing the material.

the fins are such an odd shape, you'll realize as soon as you start that it cannot be done.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wraping the lower lip is easy. The vortex generator? FUggeta'BoutIT!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You can, it's just a lot of seams that you will have to cut

also the lip is ~7 feet wide, not 5 feet
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
You can, it's just a lot of seams that you will have to cut

also the lip is ~7 feet wide, not 5 feet

the carbon look vinyl is very thick and those seams that you have to cut stand out like a sore thumb, not to mention trying to match the pattern on either side...

just paint the thing yourself, you'll be surprised at how good it comes out if you prep it well and take your time.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Look into hydro dipping. Carbon look with out worrying about ANY seams.