Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Horror Story About PowerFab Automotive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Horror Story About PowerFab Automotive

PowerFab auto has had my car for two years. i took my car to them in May 2011 for them to install a Power fc system, 1000cc injectors and 272 cams and to have it Dyno tuned. First they blew up the engine on the dyno and called me to tell me. i didn't know shops dyno tuned cars without notifying the customer, usually owners of the car would want to be present for that. Jeremy said he had pictures of the damage but i was never shown any proof that my engine was blown, but foolishly i just took their word for it. they would not take any responsibility for the damage and said it would need to be sent out to have the block bored and sleeved. i was told 3 times that my engine was removed from the car and was being torn down to be sent to the machine shop. every time i drove to powerfab to see the progress to my amazement the engine was still sitting in the car all three times. finally they told me around december that the machine shop was backed up and it wouldn't be till january before the machine shop could take the block so i waited till then. so sometime in january they sent the block to the machine shop or so i was told.

after 6 months of waiting and asking where my engine was, i kept getting excuses that the machine shop was backed up and slow. i demanded to know where my engine was but Jeremy would not tell me where it was. he told me it was confidential who builds there engines and he could not tell me. luckily i know other mechanics in the business so i found out it was at G&G Performance in Tomball, thats where they have there machine work done. I called up Joe at G&G and asked if he had a 4g63 block from PowerFab and he said yes i have 3 from them, which i thought was weird that he had 3 4g63 engines from PowerFab. i told him i was coming over to talk to him. when i got there i asked what the hold up on my block was and he said nothing everything is going fine it would be sent back in a week. i informed him that Jeremy at Powerfab had been saying for about 6 months that he has had my block and that you work slow and it was your fault every time i call. he immediately became mad, telling my i was the 3rd person to tell him something like this and that he had only received my block 2 weeks ago. he also informed me that my cylinder was completely melted with the piston. which was caused by too much fuel being dumped. i know from the power fc and 1000cc injectors being improperly tuned would cause that. he said he was going to call jeremy so i drove back to Powerfab. as soon as i pulled up Jeremy came outside yelling at me saying that I'm going behind his back to his venders that are private, ruining his business.

i told him i have every right to know where my engine is. i confronted him about my block being there for only 2 weeks and he said that was true. i told him 6 months is a big difference than 2 weeks. he told me that he had no excuses. Powerfab never provided me with an invoice from G&G for the work done, even though i have asked for one. Jeremy then notified me that i could not use the Power fc system and that i needed to go with there AEM system which cost me a little over $2,000 just in parts for that. i also took a upgraded turbo to them to install and they told me it needed to be rebuilt by Precision, so i agreed. i asked for an invoice from Precision but i never got one. he then told me my Delphi injectors needed to be flow tested so i agreed but they were never sent out to be tested and they told me i need to get there id1000 injectors which i did not. they also told me i would need new arp head studs and a cometic head gasket which i had just installed days before i took the car to them. they told me they would install new ones but i don't know if they did. they also charged me for a master oem gasket rebuild kit which was around $300 when i had a new kit in the trunk of the car. my antenna was also stolen off my car and my car sat in storage for some reason with the windows down covering my interior in dust. which my car should have never been in storage. i paid them to fix the car but it sat in storage. i paid for all my parts up front. i was informed that my car was not being worked on because i owned money in labor and that they were not a charity and did not work on cars for free. i never heard of a pay as you go on labor shop. i thought that you received a final bill when the job was completed. i was forced to pay my labor down before they would begin work again so i paid them $1000 out of the $3000 i owed them.

Jeremy told me my car would be done in two weeks, the motor just had to be dropped in and tuned. not hearing anything from him in a month i called and he said he wanted another $1000 to put my car back into work rotation. so i paid another $1000. he then again told me my car would be done in about a week and a half. another month goes by and i call and he tells me that they had some small jobs to get done before they started on mine that i would be another few days. so i few days go by so i call again and he tells me that the engine is dressed and ready to be installed and that it would be put in the next day for sure. the next day i call again and he tells me the engine is being installed so i drive to Powerfab to see the progress note it takes me about an hour to drive there from cleveland. i didn't see my car so i asked to see it and it was still in storage! again Jeremy had no excuses. and now the kicker. i get an email from jeremy saying my car is done and running but they will not tune it. they will have it towed to any shop of my choice in Houston for tuning. i asked why and he told me that they are phasing out all DSM services and will no longer be tuning all wheel drive vehicles. so after two years of waiting for my car to be tuned now they wont tune it. i told him i doubt any shop would want to tune there built when they don't even want to tune there own build. he told me that it happens all the time that other shops source out work to other shops. ok so i just paid out my invoice to power fab it was almost $2,000 they told me the car was done and running, just needs a tune. so i had them tow the car to Inline Racing. i was informed by Inline that the car is nowhere ready to be tuned it was completely butchered under the hood and all the work had to be gone thru and re-done. all the vacuum lines were not zip tied, the intake charge pipe was loose and would not even be able to hold boost without blowing off. the map sensors where wired in wrong. the timing belt was loose. he told me he felt sorry for me for them to have my car for two years and have it come out looking like high schoolers worked on it. he told me he could not believe that it came out of their shop looking like this. so now after two years and $7,000 from PowerFab i have to have In-line go thru the car and do everything right.

I informed Jeremy at PowerFab they will have to pay my invoice for In-line, i suspect they will refuse. ill be waiting for his response. So I just had some emails sent to Jeremy about why my injectors were never flow tested as per his request and why they are not good to use and that i'm still waiting to get my oem ecu and and hks belt back. he pretty much told me they will not give me my parts back which is theft. My buddy posted on their facebook saying that he heard they build evos but are scared to tune them and they posted we will tune them if the injectors are good! WOW! I posted that they told me they would not tune work on or tune dsm's and all wheel drives any more and that i have emails and video to prove it and that they hacked my car for two years. i just got an email from them saying that they will sue me and anyone else for defamation that talks bad about their shop. they did not respond about my parts or the work done to my car. they said they would not talk to me anymore that i have to talk to their lawyer. this is a warning to everyone about PowerFab. i will start posting all the emails to show proof of my story if my thread doesn't get locked or deleted so everyone can see me story.

Last edited by carlmoore3; Mar 26, 2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: maybe this will be easier to read
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

is your enter key broken?

reformat and edit if you want anyone to actually read that...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:37 PM

sorry i dont spend my life on forums. so just bare with me here.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:39 PM

here is a demand letter that i sent to PowerFab

December 23, 2012

Powerfab Automotive

10541 FM 1960 Rd West #703

Houston, TX, 77070

Dear: Jeremy Cozad,

In May 2011 I drove my car (2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8) to your shop to have new injectors, cam shafts and a engine management system installed and to have the car dyno tuned. After many months you notified me that my engine started smoking on the dyno in which I was not present for. You notified me that the piston was damaged and the cylinder wall was damaged in which I was never shown any proof that it was damaged and it was not damaged when I drove the car to your shop because the car would not have been drivable with that amount of damage to the engine. Joe Gonzales at G&G Performance who did the engine repair informed me that the engine ran too lean causing the excessive heat that lead to the piston and cylinder wall melting. I know that improper tuning with the 1000cc injectors and engine management system will dump excessive amounts of fuel causing the heat and damage to the engine. then I was forced to pay for labor and parts to repair the engine. I was also never provided with a invoice from G&G Performance for the repairs. I was only told the price of the invoice from your shop. now after many more months I still do not have my car. I also brought you a turbo that you told me needed to be rebuilt and it would be sent out to Precision Turbo to have it looked at to see if it needed to be rebuilt. You said the Turbo was rebuilt but could not provide me with an invoice of the labor or costs. My cars windows have been down for about 19 months now collecting dust. Which now the car inside and out will need to be professionally cleaned. The antenna was also stolen from my car. I've been told my car "will be done in two more weeks" so many times I couldn't even count how many times. My car is been in your shop going on 20 months for repairs that should have only taken a few months at the most. and now you are not responding to my phone calls or emails. I'm demanding my car be returned with all the repairs done and done correctly. I'm also demanding the costs associated with the damage to my engine be credited to my bill and if any difference be paid back to me. I'm demanding my car be done by January 3, 2013 and the total amount below issued. Also I will not pay for anymore charges associated with the damage to my engine. I also want invoices from G&G Performance and Precision for work done sourced out by your shop. Here are the charges I want re-en bursted as shown on your invoice 7/29/2011 invoice # 1073.

If I do not receive what I'm entitled to by January 3, 2013 I will Immediately purse legal action.

This letter will be emailed to you on December 23, 2012 and will also will be sent by certified letter.

Labor: Remove Engine from Chassis $540.00

JE Pistons $548.63

JE Pistons shipping 23.68

Labor: tear down engine and prep for machine shop $360.00

Machine shop - cylinder head inspection / pressure testing / cleaning / decking $200.00

Machine shop - engine shortblock rebuild & sleeve $1,250.00

Here is the cost of a replacement antenna $40.00

Estimated cost of complete car cleaning $100.00

Total amount I want to be compensated for $3,062.31
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:42 PM

powerfabs response

Mr. Carl Moore,
I have reviewed your letter, and PowerFab Automotive, LLC formally declines your demands. It is unfortunate you feel this to be the appropriate course in your dealings with PowerFab Automotive LLC, but such is yours to choose. PowerFab Automotive accepts no liability or responsibility for your vehicle and its current state, as we did not build or sell it to you. You brought a United States domestic production (hereby referred to as "USDM") Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution chassis into our facility on 07/16/2011 with an imported Japanese domestic production (hereby referred to as "JDM") engine installed from a different production range Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. It is our understanding you purchased the vehicle in the current state as it arrived at our shop on 07/26/2011, with no prior knowledge or documentation of the car’s construction. You left the car with us to install additional engine components that you provided to PowerFab Automotive LLC on 07/16/2011.
Furthermore, you provided PowerFab Automotive LLC with components to be installed on your JDM engine which were incorrect for your USDM configured chassis, requiring PowerFab Automotive LLC to work with a manufacturer whose products we do not sell or warranty in order to source you the correct parts for your actual application. Additionally you provided PowerFab Automotive LLC with used fuel injectors from a manufacturer whose products we do not sell or warranty. You could not furnish any clean bill of health sheets specifying that the injectors were actually tested and test flow values proven, just hand written notation on a box containing 4 injectors.
PowerFab Automotive LLC is a company for car enthusiasts by car enthusiasts, we work with all of our customers to help them in their unique projects in any way we can. We have also worked with you on your project, doing the research to get you the proper components and working with vendors to get the wrong parts swapped out for the right items for you. We gave you breaks on labor even though we've had to do things multiple times due to your incorrect component selections. We have also waited patiently for you to approve various aspects of work on your car rather than proceeding without keeping you in the loop. In the case of your upgraded turbo you supplied to the company, you were notified on July 25th, 2012 that the turbo should be sent out for inspection, to which you didn't authorize it to be sent out until September 18th, 2012.
PowerFab Automotive LLC is also a company that does not operate as a non-profit charity. You've been notified before of your balance and the required funding to resume work on your vehicle. You chose not to pay the requested amount and as such your car remains off the work roster in favor of customers who pay their invoices in a timely manner. You were notified that $2,000 was required to bring your account into good standing on October 15th, 2012. You paid $1,000 on October 19th, 2012 and have not paid the remaining $1,000 as of the date of this letter in order to put your account in good standing to make it eligible to be put back into the work roster.
If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. Should you have the desire to continue on a legal course of action, I will be happy to bring your invoicing up to date to reflect all parts, labor, shipping, and storage fee's accrued thus far and furnish them to whomever you obtain as your legal counsel. As it currently sits your car is not on the work roster and will not be until your account is out of delinquent status.
Jeremy Cozad
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A couple things...Your block had to be "sleeved"? lol....Power FC on an Evo?? Just use stock ECU or go straight to an AEM like you ended up doing. Sounds like this Jeremy guy had no idea what he was doing with the Power FC & blew your motor up. If what you are saying above is true I would have hired an attorney long ago & I definitely would now since he just threatened to sue you.

Last, not sure if you are typing this on your phone or what but your massive paragraph is slightly hard to read, you should split it up into smaller paragraphs, thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:50 PM

Email from power fab saying they will not tune car.

Car's running, heat cycled with three oil changes, fluids completed, systems bled out, etc...

Thats as far as we will go with the car, we'd prefer you have someone else tune it as we are phasing out all DSM services from our product offerings. We removed the tune from your invoice, as well as any labor associated with the PowerFC system, and we will also pay to have the vehicle towed to a shop of your choosing in Houston for tuning.

We also have replaced your battery at no charge as well with a brand new Optima red top as it was acting weak and not holding a charge. Lastly we issued you a $1500 credit to your account to offset a majority of the labor cost.

I've attached your invoice, you have an outstanding balance of $1928.10 all said and done, i can close the invoice out via email if you'd like and then have the car sent to whatever shop you elect to have tune it, just let me know.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:57 PM

some emails talking about the tuning

ME: What kind of warranty are you offering on your work because your shop did the build.

Jeremy: The exact vernacular offered by basically anyone (including the machine shops that actually assemble the top and bottom ends) is that it's for off road / racing / high performance use and therefor is without warranty. That being said, the car functions right now without issue, and is released in a healthy and running condition albiet in need of final tuning. In the event there should be a leak or something goofy like that i always do my best to take care of the customer and would do so for you. In the event your tuner fills the car up with 87 octane fuel and turns the boost up to 30psi or something catastrophically stupid, thats obviously nothing to do with us.

ME: I doubt any shop would want to tune another shops build, when they don't want to tune there own build and won't warranty it. I know at my job i won't take responsibility for someone elses work. That being said i will have to find a shop that will take on the responsabilty of your work. So i will have to make some phone calls.

Jeremy: Shouldn't be that hard, happens all the time in speed shops as you routinely have customers bring in a car that you don't know the history on (yours for an ironically perfect example). Shops also subcontract other shops when theres work to be done on platforms they don't support, such as a certain speed shop in Tomball that does mostly classic muscle cars so they hire us to tune all their late model GM cars that they do. You just tell the shops you talk to that you have a evo w/ a freshly finished forged piston/rod motor and a larger turbo and need a tune, they shouldn't give you any hassle.

ME: I'm going to try to pay the invoice on Thursday. I need the car towed to inline
racing that day so they can get it tuned.

Jeremy: Thats fine, i can arrange for a tow for you as soon as the invoice is closed out no problem.

ME: ok we have a huge problem now and i suggest you make it right. the car is at inline racing. they informed me the car is no where close to tune. they said it is butchered and thrown together and most of the work you did is bad work and the car has to be gone thru to fix all the problems. so what i would suggest is you pay for all the work to be re-done right. he told me he was so sorry i had to wait two years to get a car back that looks like it was worked on by high schoolers. if yall did not now how to work on a evo then yall should have told me from the beginning. i was trying to avoid taking yall to court but i will have no other choice at this point. yall have screwed me around for two years and out of over $7,000 for my car to come from your shop worse than when i brought it in. you said car was done and ready to be tuned and i paid out my invoice and now i have to deal with this is complete bull****. i will have inline write up everything that was done wrong and and what it all needs and i will give yall the final invoice to pay. if yall dont want to comply i have plenty to go forward with to take legal action. i will also post my story on all the forums for everyone to see how yall have treated me and trust me word is already getting around, even more so now.

Jeremy: Sounds to me like you may be getting a rope of dope pulled on you by another shop. But your welcome to furnish me with a list of their claims and i'll give it a look over. What i can tell you is that the car went through three oil changes, a dozen heat cycles, and about 45 mins straight of parking lot shakedown once it was reassembled. Never leaked a drop, never overheated, never made an unusual noise outside your fender to tire clearance. So i'll be very interested in hearing what they have to say. We documented the car thoroughly during reassembly for the exact scenario that another shop might try to take advantage of you and your situation, so let me know what they say and we can go from there.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:04 PM

emails sent and few days ago and today

me: i still need my oem ecu and my hks belt.

Jeremy: I checked on the OEM ECU, my tech who originally put the PowerFC in reminded me you took the OEM ECU when the PowerFC went in. Might check around your place for it. For the t-belt I'll look around the shop when I get in today. Slipped my mind the other day. I wouldn't recommend reselling it though as I believe i recall it having age cracks in it, wouldn't want to sell it then the buyer has it snap on him during installation or worse when the motors running.

Me: i had to look on ebay to see what the stock ecu looked like becuase ive never seen one. i never got it back, also i still need the hks belt. i was told that yall put a gates racing belt back on the car but it has a oem belt. the oem belt is not made for high performance applications, why did yall put a oem belt on it? why were my injectors never sent out for flow testing as per your request and i gave you the okay. what is wrong with my injectors, that you say they are not good to use?

Jeremy: Mr. Moore,

Seeing as you seem intent upon trying to defame the company and/or cause issues after we've gone the distance to treat you fairly and take care of you, you can formally handle any further interactions through an attorney. Any further defamation of PowerFab Automotive in addition to the actions thus far are being documented in the event we need to pursue legal action against you or others for acts of libel. We have always operated the company with a high standard on doing right by the customer, and despite the fact your car had quite a few issues when it was brought in some time ago, have worked diligently to get you taken care of, we have a zero tolerance policy regarding people wish to slander the company name and/or try to cause general havoc to company operations. We wish you the best in your dealings with the shop you've chosen to have tune your freshly built forged motor, and that you enjoy many miles of fun performance from your vehicle.

ME: speaking the the truth is not defamation. so what you are saying is that you are not going to give me back my parts? you know that is theft. also you did not answer my questions about the work you did to my car and my questions about my injectors in the last email. also you put on your facebook that you would tune a evo as long as the injectors were good. i have have on my invoice and a email from you saying that you do not work on dsm's anymore and i have it on video that you do not tune all wheel drive cars anymore. i will continue to tell my story which is the truth.

I have got no reply
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
long story short, you're not going to get anything from that shop. sounds like they're taking all the normal steps and they just weren't familiar with evo's which is what caused the initial problems. he is answering in a very friendly manner and it seems you're being short with him (which is understandable).

if you were serious about this you would have stopped talking to the shop directly a long time ago and hired a lawyer. stop threatening "oh watch out imma get a lawyer" and just hire one already if you really think it will make a difference.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:19 PM

thanks for the advice. i need to find a good lawyer!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^ and use more paragraphs please. I feel bad for you but could not make it through the wall of txt.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are in Houston then goto kozmic motorsports, David who works there did some work on my car a few years ago and he is extremely knowledgeable and wont screw you around like this other shop.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that is some serious words. Sorry to hear that this shop played around with you so long. There is no excuse for them continuing to lie to you. Good luck pursuing them.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

I agree that you should have hired or at least talked with a lawyer long time ago. After reading this whole entire post i dont know what side to take as it seems that you have left alot of things out, especially when you titled one post as "some emails talking about the tuning". It doesnt matter what I think, I just hope everything gets worked out for both parties.

Quick Reply: My Horror Story About PowerFab Automotive