Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

fuel pump swap now doesnt start help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump swap now doesnt start help

hey everyone i recently pulled my fuel sender to swap out a walbro 255 only to find out my car already had on installed by a previous owner. i thought OK no big deal ill just put it back together and carry on. Re-installed everything and tried to start car after keying ignition a few times to prime fuel system, and it wouldn't fire up. I thought that was weird and thought maybe something happened to the fuel pump while i had it out long shot i know but i had a new one in hand. So put the new one in and same thing still would not start. i can hear the pump kicking on, car cranks normally, I've checked all fuses and relays (all good), checked spark, only thing I've come up with is that i have no injector pulse. as determined by my makeshift noid light (a 194 light bulb inserted into the connector) and cant find a reason that they wouldn't be pulsing.
Its a 2003 evo 8, 272cams, bfmic, intake, exhaust.

anything else you need to know that i may have left out i can post up just let me know
any help would be greatly appriciated
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmm.... is there a way to wire it backwards? haha.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have power to the injectors? Pcm controls ground signal and causes the pulse. It's only going to do that with the proper signals from the cam and crank sensors upon cranking and running. Also, did you touch or mess with ANYthing under the hood for some reason when you were replacing the fuel pump, either the first or second time?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by legacydestroyer
Do you have power to the injectors? Pcm controls ground signal and causes the pulse. It's only going to do that with the proper signals from the cam and crank sensors upon cranking and running. Also, did you touch or mess with ANYthing under the hood for some reason when you were replacing the fuel pump, either the first or second time?
im not positive late night at work i dont think there is power to them the light never lit up at all.
i ddint touch anything undertheath the hood until after it stoped working when i was trying to figure it out. i have unplugged the crank sensor and when i pluged it back in the fuel relay on the pass side firewall began clicking like it normally does. so does that leave me at the camshaft sensor?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ran into a similar prob with another pump. pull the line to the injectors off the pump and put aonther piece of tubing on it that fits snuggley. suck on it until you get fuel thru it. The pump needs to be primed.. it will fire up then. No amount of crancking is going to do it, ask me how I know.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
Ran into a similar prob with another pump. pull the line to the injectors off the pump and put aonther piece of tubing on it that fits snuggley. suck on it until you get fuel thru it. The pump needs to be primed.. it will fire up then. No amount of crancking is going to do it, ask me how I know.

That's what I am guessing as well, that the fuel pump needs to be primed. Although I would recommend a mityvac vs. using your mouth to suck on fuel lines.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:21 AM

I have tried priming the fuel pump with another line and cranking until fuel came out does that accomplish the same thing or should I try it the way you describe?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:22 AM

Have you tried ohming out the crank sensor to make sure it is actually not at fault? We ran into the same problem and everything "seemed" normal until we realized the crank sensor wasn't working by hooking it up to a multimeter and then pulled the lower timing cover and found the crank sensor was all mangled.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Um. Whatever you do, don't hook a vacuum up to a fuel line.

Fuel vapors running through an electric induction motor is basically a bomb.

That is not sarcasm.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
That's what I am guessing as well, that the fuel pump needs to be primed. Although I would recommend a mityvac vs. using your mouth to suck on fuel lines.
Also my bad... I got so caught up in thinking you just explained to this poor fellow that he should hook a vacuum cleaner up to a fuel vapor source that I neglected to realize you said "mityvac"

Still... worth noting that a mityvac is a hand pump vac. And that you should never ever ever hook a vacuum up to a fuel source.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:38 PM

Yeah I realize a vacuum cleaner would be a terrible idea the mighty vac in question I happen to own one never thought to use it for such an application.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:09 PM

I've just ohm'd the crank sensor came up with resistance Were it should be and only the ground wire has continuity to ground
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:57 AM

Is your CEL on? Do you have a way to pull codes? If it is throwing a code it would be a great help narrowing down your search. If you were getting fuel to the rail when cranking it sounds like the PCM is telling the injectors not to pulse.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:10 AM

No codes are present as pulled through evoscan
Old Apr 5, 2013, 01:19 PM

I am honestly in the exact same boat. I used a spare bettery i had in my garage to hotwire the pump and it pumps fine. hooked everything back up and still no fuel pressure to the FPR (fuelab) ??? when i prime the pump with evoscan it doesnt kick on at all.
changed the fuel pump and no start...if we disconnect the pressure side and hotwire the pump it sprays like it should. however, it wont spray when cranking it over.
sorry im not trying to hijack this thread, I was researching and came across it
All fuses and relays are good.

Last edited by sourtowel; Apr 5, 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: fuel pump swap now doesnt start help