Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Opinions on track/street turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Black is a 600hp turbo. If you want more power down the road then it's the ideal turbo for you. I would personally go FP Red since it's almost stock like spool. An excellent turbo for circuit!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Lota good responses thanks good, guess im gonna ditch the front facing kit. What else would I need to acompany the fp turbo?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you're looking for big pumpgas power, then an o2 dump is a big plus, as it frees up lots of backpressure. I would definately run a ported or even tubular exhaust manifold, and port the stock IM and TB while you're at it. A big intercooler(shoot for 4", settle for 3.5 if need be) willl help loads as well. It's all about flow and heat management on **** gas(Ie, pumpgas).
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
If you're looking for big pumpgas power, then an o2 dump is a big plus, as it frees up lots of backpressure. I would definately run a ported or even tubular exhaust manifold, and port the stock IM and TB while you're at it. A big intercooler(shoot for 4", settle for 3.5 if need be) willl help loads as well. It's all about flow and heat management on **** gas(Ie, pumpgas).
Im already on the buschur tbe catless and muffler delete so im pretty close there an i was thinkin of grabbing the MAP o2 dump. I the ets intercooler so im good there. I was thinking on ets manifold aswell?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
For a road course all those turbos you listed will lag so hard you'll think the engine shrunk down to half its size. Unless you literally line the car up on the straight before hitting the throttle you will feel the lag bad in midcorner part-throttle. Transient response especially at part throttle is very hard to see just by looking at dyno graphs.

And if you have ACD there won't be enough torque midcorner to convince it to do its magic and then you get dreaded understeer.

Bottom line don't go larger than fpred. It can do 600whp if you get people like Curt Brown to look at your car.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
For a road course all those turbos you listed will lag so hard you'll think the engine shrunk down to half its size. Unless you literally line the car up on the straight before hitting the throttle you will feel the lag bad in midcorner part-throttle. Transient response especially at part throttle is very hard to see just by looking at dyno graphs.

And if you have ACD there won't be enough torque midcorner to convince it to do its magic and then you get dreaded understeer.

Bottom line don't go larger than fpred. It can do 600whp if you get people like Curt Brown to look at your car.
Thanks for the response. So the fp red is a better choice? How about comparing them in top end. Are the turbos i mentioned basically straight line drag turbos?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Power goals are like 450ish to 500 tops on 93. What I don't want is a turbo that only comes to life at the end of my power band. I'm debating on the 6266 kit
EF3/4 or red, black, bbkc will all be good and close to what you want without getting crazy with custom manifolds and other custom parts.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

I'm having a hard time justifying the FP turn is when the complete ETS kit is only ~$1000 more. thinking gonna run with a pte 6266 ETS front facing kit. What's the difference between the pte 6266 and the pte 6266dbb? there's a $500 price difference.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
thinking gonna run with a pte 6266 ETS front facing kit. What's the difference between the pte 6266 and the pte 6266dbb? there's a $500 price difference.
dual ball bearing. Nowadays, stick to dbb.

I like my garrett gtx 3071r over the red. DBB and similar spool as well as being stock location as well. Made over 500 whp for me on e85 but since I have 116k miles on the clock, I toned it down a bit. It is also cheaper moneywise, but still a very solid turbo. Solid spool around 3100 rpm.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

i would listen to the guys giving you advice or dont ask.

all of the turbos you listed are solid options. the thing is, they all are good at something and worse at others. sure, the black, 6266 etc turbos will satisfy your thirst for power down the line, but if you strap on a black, and then go to say summit, or even VIR, your not going to use the power at all save for the straight (maybe).

imo, i would do every supporting mod necessary now, then all you have to do is sell turbo, buy turbo, re-tune. but you need to decide if the extra power is worth the drop in track performance (which is your decision and may very well be).

one thing you didnt mention, which I am assuming/hoping you have is springs retainers seats for your s2s. if you dont, get them asap otherwise you wont realize the true potential of any of the turbos listed.

gl with the set up, post numbers when done
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:24 AM

A 6266 on a 2.0L will be laggy for circuit. I would personally go with a FP Red with a ported exhaust manifold and an O2 Dump. If you want to grow later, then a full turbo kit with a gt3037. This will allow you to grow and put a different turbo when that 3037 starts feeling a bit slow
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For starters, you might want to do some searching as this question has been asked ad nauseum. Additionally the Motorsports forum will have a lot more valuable information if your intent is to build a car for road racing.

That being said, all of the turbos you are talking about are far too large for a road race car. Some of the fastest guys around drive Evo's with well under 400 whp. Big power numbers are meaningless for speed around a track unless they are backed up with substantial improvements in every other area of the chassis and a driver who can use them.

If you plan to do track days and learn how to drive fast, I recommend staying with the stock turbo. I don't know what your racing experience is, but judging by the question I'm assuming you are just starting out. The stock turbo is more than enough when you are learning to take the car to it's limit. Starting out with tons of power will actually hurt your learning curve.

If you plan to compete (wheel to wheel or TT) your turbo selection is going to depend on your intended class. I'm running a 58 lb/min BBK-3B capable of well over 500 whp, but I'm class limited to ~420 whp for TT2. The more power you run the more you compete against other people running ludicrously modified cars with heavy weight reduction, full aero, and finely tuned suspensions.

A turbo like an FP Black or 6266 is going to be virtually worthless on a 2.0L motor on a road course. You would probably be faster with a properly set up stock turbo car.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
FP Black is overkill for your power goals

+1

fp red or green.
ef2
bbk

something of that nature.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Appreciat all the responses. Are far as springs and retainers yes I do have them, should have mentioned that. Ill prob end up with the red. I guess i figured since its mostly a street car i would enjoy a bigger top end.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
On a 2.0 the red does pretty well up top,while still having good midrange. Remember, power under the curve is what makes the car fast.

Quick Reply: Opinions on track/street turbo