Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Radiator fan, yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator fan, yes? No?

I see a lot of immaculate engine bays and noticed a lot of people don't run a radiator fan. How dangerous is it to run without one?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very dangerous. These engine bays likely have a pusher fan on the other side of the radiator.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Striker
Very dangerous. These engine bays likely have a pusher fan on the other side of the radiator.
Ummm BS, please do not spread misinformation

Haven't run the inner fan on my car in jeez 4+ years now. Never a cooling issue
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Ummm BS, please do not spread misinformation

Haven't run the inner fan on my car in jeez 4+ years now. Never a cooling issue
Can you give me some advice? I want to remove mine because I plan on cleaning up the bay and my ets intake pipe touches the fan core.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Can you give me some advice? I want to remove mine because I plan on cleaning up the bay and my ets intake pipe touches the fan core.
You'll never have an issue removing the inner fan EVER. Or if your "worried" about it you can get a slim fan from spal or similar.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Ummm BS, please do not spread misinformation Haven't run the inner fan on my car in jeez 4+ years now. Never a cooling issue
Ummmmm BS on you and your misinformation. The op asked about about not having radiator fan. He asked nothing about and AC fan. I have no idea if he has ac still. To not have the radiator fan on is asking to have your veh overheat. The ac fan is supposed to come on when you have the ac on, or the first fan just isn't enough to keep the car cool.

Just because you haven't had a problem with being an idiot doesn't mean everyone else will be fine. When on my drive home and the bank thermo says it 110 degrees outside and I'm in stop and go traffic, to not have as much cooling as possible would be stupid.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

I would run a fan. My fan on the outside of the bay is no longer there. But the one in the bay has one. I also have a nice thick aluminum radiator too.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Hold on guys. Just to re clarify, the evo has TWO fans, I am referring to the fan attached to the radiator core. My car has functioning AC and it will stay that way. Thanks for feedback.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo has been set up to have a two fan cooling system. If you take away one of those fans, you've just cut the ability to cool the radiator by half. If you choose to just use the one a/c fan, set it up so it comes on every time either of the fans was supposed to come on and get a more efficient radiator.

I like the idea of a slim fan. Cleans up engine compartment, takes up less space, still will have two fans.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Ummmmm BS on you and your misinformation. The op asked about about not having radiator fan. He asked nothing about and AC fan. I have no idea if he has ac still. To not have the radiator fan on is asking to have your veh overheat. The ac fan is supposed to come on when you have the ac on, or the first fan just isn't enough to keep the car cool.

Just because you haven't had a problem with being an idiot doesn't mean everyone else will be fine. When on my drive home and the bank thermo says it 110 degrees outside and I'm in stop and go traffic, to not have as much cooling as possible would be stupid.
Listen smart guy I am speaking about the inner fan. In the bay. No it is not dangerous and no an evo will never overheat with this fan not in place PERIOD.

Your info is bogus end of story

OP you'll never have an issue not running the fan in the bay EVER

100 degrees in summer stop and go and guess what an EVO still won't overheat
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Listen smart guy I am speaking about the inner fan. In the bay. No it is not dangerous and no an evo will never overheat with this fan not in place PERIOD. Your info is bogus end of story OP you'll never have an issue not running the fan in the bay EVER 100 degrees in summer stop and go and guess what an EVO still won't overheat
This guy is a tool. To say no Evo will ever have an overheating problem by just removing the inner fan is just dumb. If Mitsubishi didn't think it needed that second fan, don't you think the engineering and accounting departments would have said, hey let's save a lot of money by not installing them in the first place?

Last edited by J_Striker; Nov 22, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

This guy is a tool. To say no Evo will ever have an overheating problem by just removing the in we fan is just dumb. If Mitsubishi didn't think it needed that second fan, don't you think the engineering and accounting departments would have said, hey let's save a lot of money by not installing them in the first place?
Man you have a lot of cool words but ZERO ****ing exp with the topic. So do yourself a favor and crawl back under your ****ing rock

Again OP you will never have a cooling issue with your car not running the fan in the bay.

100's maybe thousands of EVO's have not run one for years and years without any cooling issues. My car has been in stop and go summer heat for hours and never had an issue PERIOD

You do realize that when you are driving at any kind of cruising speed fans don't mean **** right. Or maybe your automotive knowledge doesnt stretch that far. Thats ok people can be ignorant to things they have no ****ing exp with

Last edited by gsrboi80; Nov 22, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
WTH? No Fan on Radiator? You could replace the Pull with a Push fan if you could get one small enough to fit in front. No fan on Radiator in slow traffic will give you a nice smoke show.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
WTH? No Fan on Radiator? You could replace the Pull with a Push fan if you could get one small enough to fit in front. No fan on Radiator in slow traffic will give you a nice smoke show.
Again incorrect. My god people

Just do a search on here you will be suprised to learn how many EVO's do not run an inner fan
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I would never run no fans if what i'm reading is correct??
The fan is in place for stop and go traffic scenarios (when airflow is not sufficient enough to cool down the coolant through heat transfer) to ensure that heat transfer is made. Otherwise the heat from the engine would not be transferred causing the cooling temps/engine temps to slowly rise. If you moving down the road you will never notice this. Last year I got stuck a the boarder and I was amazed to see just how much my oil temps raised. Also when on the dyno last year, due to only having a pusher fan (not as efficient as a puller) We had to run two blowers at my car and let it cool off between pulls to make sure it wouldn't overheat. Ultimately its your car. But cleaning it up a bit vs overheating possibility is not wise... my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Radiator fan, yes? No?