Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking To Buy An Evo Soon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon

Before everyone starts slapping me around, I just want to say hello to everyone and glad to be apart of the Evo world.

I've always been a huge fan of Evo's (mostly the 2004-2006) models. I recently was looking to buy one and came across a few, but didn't work out with the pricing (around 23k for the one I did want which after some research I found it it was honestly a huge waste and overpriced). But I have found one that caught my eye.

I'm looking at a 2005 Lancer Evo SSL with 110k miles for 16k. From the carfax report it looks like most of the miles were highway, but it's hard to tell between 4 owners. From the dealerships pictures it looks extremely clean inside and out which is why it caught my eye. For a car with that many miles you would expect to see more wear and tear, but I didn't. Of course from pictures you can't be 100% sure, but it looks clean to me. I called the dealership and he said it's one of the nicest Evos they have gotten and it's 100% stock which is another reason i'm wanting it.

I was in the honda scene for awhile, building and working on them, but I honestly want to get out of that scene and get a much better car..can't go wrong with a evo.

There's a few questions I have though, since i'm not 100% experienced with Evos (i'm taking my buddy with me since he owns a lancer and knows a bit more then me, but still have some questions).

- What are the main things to look for on a used Evo? (Besides shifting, making sure no one has messed around with the engine removing/replacing parts, etc).

- Is 16k a good price for a 110k mile evo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-xzb2i1z.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-esxlnpk.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-i6wxcjn.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-3ltdjhp.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-ohba9qj.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-4yedsay.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-jlgpmzl.jpg
Looking To Buy An Evo Soon-gfmta3j.jpg

Last edited by ShadyLTD; Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Si make sure engines stock. My car has 25k miles. Had aftermarket cams installed incorrectly, snapped, timing belt fell off, possibly need a new head. Big bucks. Make sure engine sounds normal, no clakity clack.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

4 owners 110k miles for 16k? I would pass personally, or at the very least try to get him to lower his price. Save up a few more k and you can get one with much less mileage. Listen out for whining noises while accelerating, could indicated a bad transfer case , which runs about 1.5k for rebuild.

Last edited by EvolutionIX219; Dec 28, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:44 PM

Get the VIN and call a local Mitsubishi dealer to see if it's had any major repairs.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 06:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where in TN is this located? Do you have a link to share? Might not hurt to see if there are EVO owners in your area that might help take a look at it.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
Where in TN is this located? Do you have a link to share? Might not hurt to see if there are EVO owners in your area that might help take a look at it.
I live in Morristown, TN and the car is located in GA, about 3 hours away from me. There was another dealership in NC that was about 2 hours, but they are asking way to much for there Evos. I wish I knew some Evo owners, but I don't sadly. There's mostly hondas around my area and the only person I know that owns a Lancer is my buddy (but it's a RS), so he's limited on knowledge. I've been driving a turbo car for about 3 years now so I know what to look for the most part. I put the kit on myself and only thing I had to do with a shop was dyno, so I learned a lot. Just AWD cars are much different and I already know there's so much more to learn and i'm excited to be honest.

I'll include pictures on the main post of the car.

Last edited by ShadyLTD; Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Looks nice to me. I own a 2005 SSL. Try to lower the price a little. Car looks clean except those god awful wheels.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Looks nice to me. I own a 2005 SSL. Try to lower the price a little. Car looks clean except those god awful wheels.
Yeah those rims aren't the best haha, but I plan on buying stock ones and putting them back on and keeping those for winter. I'm going to see if he'll lower the price more, which he should honestly.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShadyLTD
Yeah those rims aren't the best haha, but I plan on buying stock ones and putting them back on and keeping those for winter. I'm going to see if he'll lower the price more, which he should honestly.
I got my 05 mildly modded with 100k for 14.5 but the one your looking at seems in much better condition.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I got my 05 mildly modded with 100k for 14.5 but the one your looking at seems in much better condition.
I probably wouldn't of even bothered looking at this car if it was modded at all. I wanted a completely stock Evo...obvious reasons lol,, but I mean if a modded one was selling for a good price I would of probably considered it. I'm going to try to talk him down to like 15k, i'm doing a trade-in, so maybe my trade-in will cover the car completely.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's mostly hondas around my area and the only person I know that owns a Lancer is my buddy (but it's a RS), so he's limited on knowledge.
An RS is a Evo, so I would suggest having him help you with checking out the car.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I probably wouldn't of even bothered looking at this car if it was modded at all. I wanted a completely stock Evo...obvious reasons lol,, but I mean if a modded one was selling for a good price I would of probably considered it. I'm going to try to talk him down to like 15k, i'm doing a trade-in, so maybe my trade-in will cover the car completely.

More than likely the owner took of all modifications before posting it for sale.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
More than likely the owner took of all modifications before posting it for sale.
It's from a dealer, inspected and showed no signs of modifications.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Is that a real JDM bumper or is that a fake. I'm going up assume that it's a replica because of the wheels.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

The owner could have easily removed the the aftermarket parts before trading it into the dealer. It being from a dealer doesn't made it isn't shady, shadier in my opinion if that.

Quick Reply: Looking To Buy An Evo Soon