Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX used car pricing: Thousands over book value

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all you can't reproduce a car like that for anywhere near that price. So I think they should ask for more. That is just my opinion though. Of course people will have differing opinions. If they don't like the price don't buy it, and buy a stock one and build one yourself. But the thing is you will spend far more than if you were to just buy the modded one in the first place part out what you don't want and get what you do want. Saving time and money. I dunno I guess I am an idiot for thinking this way.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Private party puts it right at 9k now. (KBB) It has gone up since I checked last maybe 2 years ago Car is 100% clean titled, never been in an accident, paint is still in decent shape for a 10yr old car that was DD most of it's life. Bottom end, trans, TC, and rear have never been apart. I am just realistic, It is a 10 year old car with 150K+ on it. Means way more to me then I could/would ever sell it for.
kbb lol, the kbb prices the fd3s at around 7k in some states. Is that what they go for? Hell no. The kbb doesn't know performance cars, if you notice it just quotes ars based on features, age, and mileage...it's pretty basic system. A base wrx (not even an sti) with the same mileage goes for 7-8k on kbb. Do you consider the wrx and the evo to be the same quality/performance? Also just because it is clean title it doesn't mean car is clean. How's the underside? Winter driven? Rust? You can go ahead and quote yours at 7-8 it doesn't bother me.

Last edited by RallySport9; Jan 16, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I think I have a weird thing in my head about mileage. While I can totally get paying mid twenties for a clean IX MR with super low mileage, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one with 100k+ on it.
I feel the same way about mileage. With the pricing as it is though, I'd rather pay upper $20s for a lower mileage one than mid $20s on one with say 50k on it. And that's what I had to do to buying my last IX. It was frustrating and I did feel like I was overpaying at the time (especially when adding shipping to the mix), but I knew this dealer was going to buy it, return it to mostly stock and then sell it as a stockish car for the same price or more, so I just bit the bullet and went for it. I'm happy now that I did, as no others like it have popped up for sale since.

Originally Posted by Noize

It upsets me to see dealers buying up clean examples and hoarding them on their lots, keeping them out of the hands of the Evo community.
The dealer thing can go both ways- good and bad. It totally sucked missing out on the 11k mile GG IX SSL this last spring that my brother was wanting to buy that got snapped up by Orland. I knew that a dealer must've bought it because the sale happened too fast- we were on top of it as soon as the ad posted online and we had the money ready to wire. The dealership the car was being sold at said a private party had purchased it. I knew that was probably not the case and sure enough, the car was soon up FS by Orland. By the time they listed it, it was a good $5k+ more than the previous dealer listed it at and since that wasn't the ideal color my bro wanted, we passed on it at Orland's price.

Quick note on dealer pricing- some dealers know they can charge a lot, so they do. Other dealers (like in your friend's case) probably saw other similar cars listed high when they went to put them up for sale, but probably were willing to drop price substantially to move it when push comes to shove since they got them at likely low costs. I'd bet such dealers paid the person trading in the Evo a typically low amount in conjunction with what the books say, so they're making good money anyway and it's all profit to them no matter what, so quicker they can turn it over, the better for them since the Evo isn't their niche anyway. Other dealers price these cars low just because they don't see the car selling at a premium, and these cars move really fast if they're decent.

So anyways back with what I was saying, yes it stinks competing with the dealers, but in some cases I could see them benefitting me for example, should one end up with my ideal IX. I am still keeping my eyes open for my ideal IX but I'm not looking high and low like I used to- it just takes too much time. Where a dealer would benefit me is if they took in a low mileage example of my ideal IX and priced it high enough that no one else bought it, so that I could come in and buy it for myself- I'm willing to pay tip-top dollar for my ideal IX with super low miles. If a dealer or private seller listed it at what KBB or NADA would say, I'd probably have no chance to buy it before someone else.

In my experience, purchasing these cars is very competitive, even between private parties. In the past 2-3 years I have lost a few deals I thought I had for sure, but the cars just sold too fast. For example, one IX was overpriced for sure by a dealer in NJ and I tried to get them to negotiate and they wouldn't budge. It had 20k on it, going for $29991 and it was not in mint condition at that price- rims curbed, tires worn, little pieces missing, trim fading, etc. I held off and figured no one would buy it. WRONG! A guy from Canada snapped it up the next day! I could hardly believe it. I have seen more than a few Canadians snap up clean low mileage cars from the U.S. and they have seemed more ready to spend big bucks on prime cars.

What probably bugs me most regarding the dealer thing is when the dealers buy cars, part them to mostly stock, and then resell them as stock or stockish cars- probably leading buyers to believe the cars always had light mods. For example, there's a dealer in NY (forget name atm) who I've seen do just that. I watched an EB IX that sold here last fall for cheap- $22k if I remember right (ad is probably still up if you wanted to search for it). It had low mileage (20k or so) but it looked like it had lived a rough life- VG came off and ripped off some trim, lip busted, hacked bumper for the big FMIC it had, built 2.0 with AMS turbo kit, fuel rail, throttle body and more.. also an SSL car but had Evo 8 seats, etc. The car ended up listed by this dealer in a short time and had SSL seats again (though no way were they only 20k mile leather seats they installed), stock appearing turbo, stock throttle body, fuel setup, etc. and they were asking right around $30k. That car sold quick- sadly someone probably thought they were buying something totally different than what it was. Btw, I noticed all the parts the car had previously, being sold by a forum member here later on and I also noticed this member consistently selling turbo kits and FMICs, and having WTB ads for OEM FMIC's, turbos, etc., so I knew they must be associated with this dealer. I asked them in one of their FS threads (just to give them a hard time ) how many turbo kits they had and they said something like, "not enough!" Clever response!

Anywho, that's a novel. Hope that info is valuable to someone.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sportcarmn
What do you guys think of some of these fully built evo's with low mileage builds (magazine cover quality) being posted for $30,000+ ?
I used to be afraid of buying built cars. I have changed my tune now though. If you want a super clean IX that you'll modify anyway, then buy a built one and do like SKILMATIC said- sell off the parts you don't want. Then buy the mods you want with what you get from the proceeds. A stock mint low mileage IX goes for what nowadays? A solid $30k or so. So if you're going to mod, then buy a built one and save tens of thousands. Besides you never know about these low mileage cars (unless you really, really know what you're looking for and have been around these cars a lot) to know whether or not the car was always stock anyway. More often than not, Evos get sold as stock or stockish but they weren't always that way- they've been returned to stock/stockish.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mines with only 33,000 miles. 2 Owners. Meticulously taken care of. Fully stock. $24,000, but with tax it was $26,000 out the door. This was July of 2012. Love the car and I don't regret it one day. There were times I planned on selling it, but there's that seller's regret that kicks in!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:57 PM

I got my 2006 GG IX MR with 32,000 miles for $24,000 in September 2012. I drive an accord around as my daily to keep the miles down on the evo, she only comes out in spring and summer. I fully anticipate the IX's value to skyrocket in 2016 as that's the 10 year anniversary mark. Keep you're miles down fellas!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
kbb lol, the kbb prices the fd3s at around 7k in some states. Is that what they go for? Hell no. The kbb doesn't know performance cars, if you notice it just quotes ars based on features, age, and mileage...it's pretty basic system. A base wrx (not even an sti) with the same mileage goes for 7-8k on kbb. Do you consider the wrx and the evo to be the same quality/performance? Also just because it is clean title it doesn't mean car is clean. How's the underside? Winter driven? Rust? You can go ahead and quote yours at 7-8 it doesn't bother me.

Just used it as a reference. NADA lists it at the same 8-9k. These are the real world values of what the car costs PERIOD.

If someone is willing to pay 3X that out of pocket cash. Well as I always say there are suckers born everyday and they still could not have it.

Yes my car is clean, ridiculously maintained, and free of rot.

I feel bad for you folks that are paying nearly "New" sticker pricing on 8-10 year examples I really do. That sucks. Especially not having the ability to finance in most cases without a hefty down payment. Obviously banks don't finance cars for double what they are worth
Old Jan 17, 2014, 08:59 AM

Just used it as a reference. NADA lists it at the same 8-9k. These are the real world values of what the car costs PERIOD.
The real world value of a car is what you can sell it for and not what some book says. I agree that KBB/NADA is a good starting point but look at pricing of similar cars in the area and determine what is reasonable. It may be the same as KBB/NADA, it may be less or it may be more. Based on the topic of this thread you can guess which one it's most likely to be for an Evo.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

If someone is willing to pay 3X that out of pocket cash. Well as I always say there are suckers born everyday and they still could not have it.

Yes my car is clean, ridiculously maintained, and free of rot.

I feel bad for you folks that are paying nearly "New" sticker pricing on 8-10 year examples I really do. That sucks. Especially not having the ability to finance in most cases without a hefty down payment. Obviously banks don't finance cars for double what they are worth
I hope I find someone with your mindset selling a 6 speed Supra TT.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

First of all you can't reproduce a car like that for anywhere near that price. So I think they should ask for more. That is just my opinion though. Of course people will have differing opinions. If they don't like the price don't buy it, and buy a stock one and build one yourself. But the thing is you will spend far more than if you were to just buy the modded one in the first place part out what you don't want and get what you do want. Saving time and money. I dunno I guess I am an idiot for thinking this way.
Your way of thinking is fine with me. I built a couple in the in pass a lot of fun but a lot of money I will never see a return on. From then on I will only buy built ones. Saves time and money in the long run.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This thread is very poignant since I've been having a discussion with a colleague about the price of his Lotus Elise Sport and other models of the Lotus Elise.

The asking prices for those cars right now are insane, but people are paying those prices because it's what they want.

2006 Exige w/ 7k mi $46k
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...e-sale-184346/

2008 Exige w/ 17k mi $60k
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...culate-182841/

You get the idea.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Bought my IX GG MR for 25k'ish w/ 55k miles. Very clean. "Stock", no issues.

I want to build a TTB or TTA Evo now so I'm kind of at a crossroads of turning my MR into a track car w/ complete roll cage, gutted interior, trade it for another IX, or buy a salvage Evo.

Looking back I'd rather have bought a built Evo and sold off the excess mods that didnt suit my goals.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Bought my 2006 Tarmac Black Evo IX MR a couple months ago. 53k miles, meticulously clean, stockish (intake, exhaust, tephra mod, tuned with reflash) for $22,500. Never launched and still on stock clutch.

Extremely happy with the purchase and the previous owner is always willing to answer any questions I've had after the purchase (e.g. How do you NLTS?)

I just wanted a daily driver Evo and this was the perfect car for me.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
I used to be afraid of buying built cars. I have changed my tune now though. If you want a super clean IX that you'll modify anyway, then buy a built one and do like SKILMATIC said- sell off the parts you don't want. Then buy the mods you want with what you get from the proceeds. A stock mint low mileage IX goes for what nowadays? A solid $30k or so. So if you're going to mod, then buy a built one and save tens of thousands. Besides you never know about these low mileage cars (unless you really, really know what you're looking for and have been around these cars a lot) to know whether or not the car was always stock anyway. More often than not, Evos get sold as stock or stockish but they weren't always that way- they've been returned to stock/stockish.
Originally Posted by PureDsm
Your way of thinking is fine with me. I built a couple in the in pass a lot of fun but a lot of money I will never see a return on. From then on I will only buy built ones. Saves time and money in the long run.
Originally Posted by Jimmy Javelin
Bought my IX GG MR for 25k'ish w/ 55k miles. Very clean. "Stock", no issues.

I want to build a TTB or TTA Evo now so I'm kind of at a crossroads of turning my MR into a track car w/ complete roll cage, gutted interior, trade it for another IX, or buy a salvage Evo.

Looking back I'd rather have bought a built Evo and sold off the excess mods that didnt suit my goals.
Well would you look at that. There are actually people in this world with some common sense. Perhaps there is hope for the human race after all.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
I hope I find someone with your mindset selling a 6 speed Supra TT.
I have to agree with you here. Real world values is what the real world would pay for a car. Not from what some catalogue says. Case in point the MK4 supra(which I brought this up in an earlier post).

Quick Reply: Evo IX used car pricing: Thousands over book value