Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

opinions on price (canada)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions on price (canada)

So a while back I made a thread on the average prices of 8/9 gsr's in the USA for this year and it turns out to be in the 19-25k ballpark range for good quality. But I recently found this EB in Alberta that the guy claims to have perfect paint and body along with a rebuilt engine from a dealership @80k km.. (wtf?)

Its an 03 and doesn't look like it has a sunroof but has some nice features to it. Not sure if anyone would know the owner on here just by seeing the car? I was thinking 25k MAX since it's just an 03 evo 8. . Kms aren't too bad though.

Anyways here's the ad

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Id like some opinions on what some of you (if any) canadian evo owners would pay for this girl. Back 2 years ago I paid 21k in canada for my 03 RR evo 8 gsr with 76k miles and had a small rear quarter panel rust issue along with a couple dents but the power it made, wheels, stance the sunroof made up for it

Im a bit iffy with buying USDM evos in canada as they are always marked up a bit crazy. I understand since there aren't many and you need to put it through RIV and pay stupid taxes and fees, but it really isn't all that hard to bring one through.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Cant you find a ix with that mileage for around 27k? (In the us that is) Also what is the chassis mileage because depending what it is it doesnt really matter that the motor is rebuilt to oem specs. I have a built 2.0 on my 03 with 10k miles and I wouldnt expect to get close to 27k If I sold her
Old Feb 23, 2014, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rjfg
Cant you find a ix with that mileage for around 27k? (In the us that is) Also what is the chassis mileage because depending what it is it doesnt really matter that the motor is rebuilt to oem specs. I have a built 2.0 on my 03 with 10k miles and I wouldnt expect to get close to 27k If I sold her
He said it was OEM spec rebuilt and he has the paperwork to prove it, but it was recent. Hasn't explained why it was rebuilt so early either. And I'm sure the chassis mileage is 80k (kms) But yeah, like you said in the USA Low mileage and clean IX's go for 27k but here in Canada I think they're in the 28-30k area. I think this dudes asking way too much for an 03. The rebuild does not matter at all because its either he blew the engine or it went, doesn't really increase the value at all. That's his problem.

I'm just curious as to what other people think of this price and the cars value. I haven't offered him anything yet, but if I were, I would offer somewhere in the 24-25 area.

Last edited by CeeWhizzle; Feb 23, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:56 PM

I live in Canada, and plan on going to the states in April to buy my first evo 9 and drive it back up here. I would not touch that car for that price, considering there arent many evos in canada he may get a few bites
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Bought my IX at the end of '09 for 32k in Canada, so yea, for around or not much more than that car's price you should be able to find a decent IX.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in this certain Evo, Since its close by, but I take it no one has seen this on the forums at all?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 135 Likes on 124 Posts
If you buy one for 21-24k in the states by the time you pay taxes, RIV and all that nonsense it will push your price close to or past that. Plus RIV could give you grief if you buy built. So I really don't see that price as out to lunch for any decent VIII/IX in Canada. Tack on even more if you need to ship it (like me) and you can hit 30k easily. Even going south to drive it back your price jumps with all the added costs. If you're close to Calgary I'd say go check it out. Then check flight, shipping, fuel, hotel and all the other expenses that go along with to help decide. But you know, go rip it up in the snow on a test drive for sure!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by osetsky
If you buy one for 21-24k in the states by the time you pay taxes, RIV and all that nonsense it will push your price close to or past that. Plus RIV could give you grief if you buy built. So I really don't see that price as out to lunch for any decent VIII/IX in Canada. Tack on even more if you need to ship it (like me) and you can hit 30k easily. Even going south to drive it back your price jumps with all the added costs. If you're close to Calgary I'd say go check it out. Then check flight, shipping, fuel, hotel and all the other expenses that go along with to help decide. But you know, go rip it up in the snow on a test drive for sure!

Yeah, I was looking into a few IX's and with shipping/RIV/Taxes and POSSIBLY having to deal with issues when it's modded.. I decided to look more into Canada and just pay more of a premium price.

I just wish I could find some history on this 8 though. Still haven't found anything on here yet. He said he really only uses it for "shows" now rather than Daily after he rebuilt the motor.

It also has 80k Miles, not Km's, I double checked that with him.. And he says thats "low mileage"

I can get flights and fuel for free so heading out to calgary won't be an issue, however the price of the Evo certainly doesn't seem fit for its year and mileage. Sure it's clean.. but I guess I'll just have to talk to him more about coming down to 24/25.

If anyone see's any info or history regarding this evo, please share
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:49 PM

That is over priced in my opinion. I have imported 2 Evo 9 into Canada. First one was in Fall of 2009 and I paid $27k usd it was an 06 ww evo 9 mr with 17k miles on it. My second one was 06 gg evo 9 mr with 80k miles which I bought for $16k. Both were clean titles and in excellent condition. I would keep looking around, there are sometimes deals on craiglist as well.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats super overpriced for a 2003. You have to understand, b/c Evo 8/9 were never sold in Canada, they are rare! Rare = inflating prices.

If you dont wanna go through the importing hassle and enjoy the experience, then buy local. OP are in Edmonton/Calgary?
80,000 miles on a 2003 is not that bad actually.

Just get a shop to do a leak down test/compression test, take it for a road test, get them to do a typical used car inspection and when on road test, listen for any whines from the T-Case or anything, gear grinds, etc etc.

It'll be okay It's a 2003, expect to do a little TLC.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
thats super overpriced for a 2003. You have to understand, b/c Evo 8/9 were never sold in Canada, they are rare! Rare = inflating prices.

If you dont wanna go through the importing hassle and enjoy the experience, then buy local. OP are in Edmonton/Calgary?
80,000 miles on a 2003 is not that bad actually.

Just get a shop to do a leak down test/compression test, take it for a road test, get them to do a typical used car inspection and when on road test, listen for any whines from the T-Case or anything, gear grinds, etc etc.

It'll be okay It's a 2003, expect to do a little TLC.

I owned an 03 Evo 8 in the past, but definitely did not pay near 25-27k. I bought it in Winnipeg. And this one is in the Calgary area. I wouldn't need it to go to a shop though, I do OOP inspections at my work so I can go over it thoroughly

He says he has paperwork to prove 3% leak down. Though I still think 80k miles is rather high. Even though he thinks its "low".

My 98 Evo 5 and 97 Evo 4 have less mileage than that..
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CeeWhizzle
I owned an 03 Evo 8 in the past, but definitely did not pay near 25-27k. I bought it in Winnipeg. And this one is in the Calgary area. I wouldn't need it to go to a shop though, I do OOP inspections at my work so I can go over it thoroughly

He says he has paperwork to prove 3% leak down. Though I still think 80k miles is rather high. Even though he thinks its "low".

My 98 Evo 5 and 97 Evo 4 have less mileage than that..
Because they're jdm lol.

U cannot compare a jdm car to a usdm vehicle. If u think about the average mileage a person is supposed to use there car and then do the math on 80,000 miles. Its quite good considering 2003 was 11 years ago. Again, since they are rare most ppl can charge whatever and if they get, they get it. Not like USA where u can bargain.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:42 PM

Recently test drove an evo X, wish I could test drive a 9 to decide what to do..to import or not lol
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go

Because they're jdm lol.

U cannot compare a jdm car to a usdm vehicle. If u think about the average mileage a person is supposed to use there car and then do the math on 80,000 miles. Its quite good considering 2003 was 11 years ago. Again, since they are rare most ppl can charge whatever and if they get, they get it. Not like USA where u can bargain.
Oh I know JDM and USDM are both completely different when it comes to mileage. I swear 95% of the jdm cars are never driven in japan. But still, I think that mileage is quite high.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

So would anyone think I would be paying too much if I were to get her for 25?

Quick Reply: opinions on price (canada)