Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another Totaled Evo 8 :( Now what?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup keep it and repair it. Get a quote of repair from an auto body shop you trust and make a deal with the insurance and use that money to fix it
Old Mar 7, 2014, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be some sick twist of fate! I just got offered that exact same amount from an insurance company that wants to total my car out. They went and found two Evos that both sold for under 10k and compared my car too them. Gonna try and fight it and see if I can get a better offer or I may just have my insurance fix the car and not deal with the B.S. Wish you good luck in whatever you decide!! Just hope it turns out better for the both of us!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:47 AM

Well, its been quite a ride. Last week I had spoke with a representative who was unwilling to work with me. He said the value was determined by NADA and could not be negotiated 'per state regulations' (which only states it must be used as a guide), I could not get my vehicle back even as a parts car (because they could not 'track if I would put it back on the road'), and I could not remove after market parts minus the sub/amp. I would believe maybe one of those 3 things, but not all 3 in 1.

So after going back and forth with my insurance, we've come to a point where I think I'm satisfied... They did not budge on the value of the car, however I can have them find me a "comparable car" (Same year/make/model, options, and Mileage within 10%). If they find one for that price, then great, if not insurance will pay the difference on the cost of the car. Additionally I can in fact keep the car. I have to wait for another appraiser to look at the car to determine if I will get a class A/B salvage title (parts only or repairable), so it can be parted out, or sold as is (if anyone wants it). That will be determined in the next couple of days.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats funny is, I got my AS Evo 8 a year ago, and when I got it the bank used nada to determine how much theyd loan me, and it was 12,300. That sucks for sure though man. I feel like Im on a motorcycle when I drive the Evo, constantly scanning for someone to pull out in front of me or rear end me or some ****. And as was said, that damage doesnt look that bad. Unless the core support was mangled beyond fixing, it doesnt look terrible. Do you have an impact bar? I dont, my intercooler is too big.....scary thought...

One last thing.....that windshield banner is ****ing awesome.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, good luck with sorting it all out.
You'd need a new hood latch, straighten the front support, headlight mount brackets probably, maybe the oil cooler...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't budge. You can take a collision claim up the chain to a supervisor (who I'm sure is involved already), that supervisor's supervisor, and then one beyond that even. That's what it took on my claim to get a second look at it after the rep told me my only recourse was a lawsuit.

They do bend, especially if they can be proven wrong. And generally, unless you're trying to scam them, the written law is on your side, even if judges in non-jury trials lean toward the insurer.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^Listen to Spaz he went through quite the ordeal last year