Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 2 rocker gear keeps falling out and drops cyinder

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 2 rocker gear keeps falling out and drops cyinder

My rocker gear keeps falling out only seems to be on inlet side number 3 cyinder has lost both rockers twice now number 1 lost 1.i have put them back in for the 2nd time the motor is not that old .just winding if any one had and ideas what I'm dealing with the valve springs or the lifters? It only seems to throw them off on a cold start like the lifters are flat or something . And also as my mate told me why doesn't the lifter fall out as well once the rocker has fallen out cause nothing holding lifter in once rocker is off. cheers
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:06 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Evo's dont have lifters, they have hydraulic lash adjusters. Your lash adjusters might be clogged and allowing too much lash on the rocker and letting it pop out. There is a procedure for cleaning them with diesel fuel. Also look into possibly bent valves.

Also the lash adjuster (lifter as you called it) seats in the head, there is no where for it to fall.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Evo's dont have lifters, they have hydraulic lash adjusters. Your lash adjusters might be clogged and allowing too much lash on the rocker and letting it pop out. There is a procedure for cleaning them with diesel fuel. Also look into possibly bent valves.

Also the lash adjuster (lifter as you called it) seats in the head, there is no where for it to fall.
I was meaning can the lash adjuster shoot up and out with the oil pressure once the rocker has fallen off. So what do u reckon I should do ? To solve my problem I don't mind spending some money on new lash adjusters if it will fix my problem
Old Mar 8, 2014, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Evo's dont have lifters, they have hydraulic lash adjusters.
I can't say for sure that it is technically correct, but it is common place for them to be referred to as hydraulic lifters or just lifters alone since once you are talking about a 4G63 it is going to be a hydraulic lifter (yes I know there are a few people using solid lifters).
Old Mar 8, 2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wreckleford
I can't say for sure that it is technically correct, but it is common place for them to be referred to as hydraulic lifters or just lifters alone since once you are talking about a 4G63 it is going to be a hydraulic lifter (yes I know there are a few people using solid lifters).
A lifter rides the cam and moves a push rod that then pushes the rocker arm. Thats in an OHV Engine. The 4g63 is a DOHC engine and the cam drives the rockers directly. The Lash adjuster looks kind of like a lifter and thats probably why it is called that. The job of the lash adjuster is to make sure proper clearance between the cam and rocker is maintained when the engine is cold and then warmed up. Solid lash adjusters just like solid lifters would require lash adjustments every so often.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by cullum21
I was meaning can the lash adjuster shoot up and out with the oil pressure once the rocker has fallen off. So what do u reckon I should do ? To solve my problem I don't mind spending some money on new lash adjusters if it will fix my problem
I dont think so. The oil would have to pool under the adjuster and then hydraulic it out. I dont think you would run the engine with the rockers in this state long enough for that to happen. It may be possible though. You definitely wouldnt want anything, rockers or lash adjusters, floating around the head while the engine is running. Also if one did pop out it would cause oil pressure to drop and starve other lash adjusters of oil. I think you should check those lash adjusters to make sure they are functioning properly. I believe there is a factory specified method of doing this. Also clean all of your lash adjusters with diesel fuel as described by the factory repair manual. If you search around you can download it in a PDF.