Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo ROM and Immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo ROM and Immobilizer?

I tried searching but couldn't find a precise answer....

A few months ago, I bought an Evo IX MR with TBE/Intake/AnF Ratio Gauge that was previously tuned.

When I dropped off the Evo to my local performance shop to get a re-tune, the shop called back saying all the definitions were deleted and they needed the ROM to tune the car.

Well, I'm having trouble getting that ROM back from the previous tuner and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback in case I can't get the original ROM (I'm not familiar with ROMs/ECUs regarding Evos, so any help would be greatly appreciated!):

1) Without the original ROM, I was told that I'd have to disable the immobilizer to get a re-tune. I REALLY don't want to do this as I'm from Chicago and it's not exactly the safest place to have a nice car. Is there a way to avoid disabling the immobilizer?

2) Would buying a used ECU from another Evo solve this problem?

3) Or is there a way to download a ROM from elsewhere and work from there?

4) What options do I have to get this Evo tuned???? It's killing me a bit as I was hoping to add an EBC, Walbro, and front motor mount but I'm stuck until I get this resolved
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

What shop did you take it to? And what are they talking about saying the definitions are deleted? That doesn't make sense. You just pull the Rom off the car and go from there. It was fine when you dropped it off right? I'm in Chicago and if you need help let me know. I have ecuflash and evoscan and all stuff necessary to pull your Rom. It should be 88590015 or something really close to that. Honestly it sounds like they tuned it and flashed it before saving the immobilizer code and now they're (really you're) screwed big time. They need the original Rom to get the immobilizer code from or else the car won't start. I guess the other option is to disable the immobilizer using periphery bits but then you lose that security as you already pointed out. Don't get played for a fool man, they forgot to change the code before flashing and its not your fault and really isn't your issue either. They need to fix what they did, period.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and to answer your question you could find the original Rom and get the code from it, obviously. But buying a used ecu won't solve your problem because you still don't know what your immobilizer code is you know? Once you find it write it on a piece of paper and sleep with it under your pillow. Lol jk. A different option is to buy a used ecu that comes WITH the immobilizer itself. TAE in Florida sells them together as a set for around $300 used. I am not sure though how the key would play into that scenario since your key wont match that immobilizer. Maybe someone that has been through this nightmare can chime in.

Last edited by jrainwater; Apr 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=331170190615

Here's an ecu with the immobilizer for $150 with free shipping. I've never seen one this cheap.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=291113104820

And here is one for $300 that comes with the ecu and immobilizer and the key and ignition cylinder. That would solve your issue for 3 bones. Apparently you do need the key also in order to make it all work together. Good luck man, I hope it works out.

Last edited by jrainwater; Apr 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrainwater
What shop did you take it to? And what are they talking about saying the definitions are deleted? That doesn't make sense. You just pull the Rom off the car and go from there. It was fine when you dropped it off right? I'm in Chicago and if you need help let me know. I have ecuflash and evoscan and all stuff necessary to pull your Rom. It should be 88590015 or something really close to that. Honestly it sounds like they tuned it and flashed it before saving the immobilizer code and now they're (really you're) screwed big time. They need the original Rom to get the immobilizer code from or else the car won't start. I guess the other option is to disable the immobilizer using periphery bits but then you lose that security as you already pointed out. Don't get played for a fool man, they forgot to change the code before flashing and its not your fault and really isn't your issue either. They need to fix what they did, period.
1) thank for the feedback. I'm pretty confident in the tuner shop, I've did lots of searching and they were recommended by a friend; I think I screwed up explaining they told me but basically I need the ROM. The car was tuned before but the previous tuner locked(?) the ECU and/or deleted something that prevents my tuner shop to even open it up and see whats going on.

They basically told me they couldn't access the ROM/ECU; so I'm still using the tune that came with the Evo.

2) I might take you up on that offer! Thanks man, are you in the city or suburbs?

3) I'm insanely jealous you have the Blue color. I wanted that but couldn't find any (I was in a bit of time crunch so I settled for whatever color I could find haha)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
There is a program ECU Unlocker this should enable them to pull the ROM from the car
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the issue was in your explanation but no biggie. Any Evo is better then nothing regardless of the color by the way lol. I'm living in the city but I'm out in the burbs (Naperville area) on Wednesday and Thursday every week. GSR is correct that there is an ecu unlocker program and I have that program but there is another way to lock the ecu where you can't open it without the lock code even with this program. Some tuners used to do this to protect their tunes from being handed out for free to other people. I can't think of anyone doing that anymore but it used to be common practice. Knowing what you are talking about now the only option is to get that unlock code from the previous owner/tuner or replace the ecu and immobilizer and ignition lock cylinder with the key. I could try running that program to unlock it and it might work but I'm pretty sure if you're at a reputable shop they already tried it. No harm in trying though I suppose right?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrainwater
Yeah the issue was in your explanation but no biggie. Any Evo is better then nothing regardless of the color by the way lol. I'm living in the city but I'm out in the burbs (Naperville area) on Wednesday and Thursday every week. GSR is correct that there is an ecu unlocker program and I have that program but there is another way to lock the ecu where you can't open it without the lock code even with this program. Some tuners used to do this to protect their tunes from being handed out for free to other people. I can't think of anyone doing that anymore but it used to be common practice. Knowing what you are talking about now the only option is to get that unlock code from the previous owner/tuner or replace the ecu and immobilizer and ignition lock cylinder with the key. I could try running that program to unlock it and it might work but I'm pretty sure if you're at a reputable shop they already tried it. No harm in trying though I suppose right?
Sounds good man! Will hit you up with a PM. Thanks