Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another Evo with starting issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Evo with starting issues

The past couple of months my Evo won't consistently crank. All accessories will turn on but it won't turn over. This happens usually after the car has been driven around. I replaced alternator and battery about a month ago and still same issue. Hooked up the laptop and Evoscan since right now this second the car won't crank and sitting the battery is putting out 12.1v but drops to 11v when I tried to crank it. At one point my car sat for 2 weeks with the alarm armed and everything and came home it fired right up, and this was with the old battery and alternator so I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull the starter out and go get it tested. Had this issue before on another car where if the car was warm it would not start. Turned out the starter was bad.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
11 volts is sufficient cranking voltage...I agree that the starter is the next logical step. 12.1volts sitting still isn't that good though. Was that with the ignition on but without cranking? Or was that with ignition off? If it was on, hopefully you had it on for a little while before getting that reading, because 12.1 volts is indicative of a battery with about 30% charge capacity. You may have a draw. Although you said you had it sitting dormant for a couple of weeks and it started fine...I'm getting dizzy from going in circles. Just check the starter
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Pull the starter out and go get it tested. Had this issue before on another car where if the car was warm it would not start. Turned out the starter was bad.
This! Yes, I notice it mostly if it's gotten hot. ok I'll pull it and get it tested.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drive955i
11 volts is sufficient cranking voltage...I agree that the starter is the next logical step. 12.1volts sitting still isn't that good though. Was that with the ignition on but without cranking? Or was that with ignition off? If it was on, hopefully you had it on for a little while before getting that reading, because 12.1 volts is indicative of a battery with about 30% charge capacity. You may have a draw. Although you said you had it sitting dormant for a couple of weeks and it started fine...I'm getting dizzy from going in circles. Just check the starter
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I had same issue. Found little wire in starter not making good connection and it was the whole problem. It would come and go. Finally found that wire loose and fix it. Now haven't had that problem in a year.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
I had same issue. Found little wire in starter not making good connection and it was the whole problem. It would come and go. Finally found that wire loose and fix it. Now haven't had that problem in a year.
the little black one that clips in on top of the starter?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NSDQ
the little black one that clips in on top of the starter?
Yep take a little screw driver and stick it in the end and bend the connector a bit so it touched the spade better. Let me know if that works for ya.

Last edited by Dirty Dave; Jul 13, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

thanks
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

good luck
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NSDQ
thanks
Did that solve your issue?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

The parts store ordered an alternator by accident and not a new starter so I should have a new one today and will put it in. I'm going to put a new starter on it for ****s and giggles since starters on these cars seem to be an issue anyways. That all said, I did notice when I disconnected that black wire the wiring was a little loose leading into the clip so I pushed it in nice and snug and taped it up tight so hopefully between new starter and securing that wiring a little better it fixes everything. I also pulled my battery and charged it up last night.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Nice you should be golden then
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Lol I hope so man. I'm tired of driving to Nashville and leaving whatever place I'm at and it not turning over
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

put new starter in and put everything back together. Threw battery back in. It fired right up but then again battery had a fresh charge on it, but it fired real smooth so that's good. Let it warm up and idle for a bit then took it out and beat on her for a few miles and got it nice and hot in the engine bay then returned home. Took my other car down the road for some food and came back. Cranked it and it fired up again. Let it idle for a few seconds then turned it off then cranked it again, so 3/3 so far. Will try again in the morning and if it cranks take it to work and see if it cranks all day.

Quick Reply: Another Evo with starting issues