Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 9 acd pump wont turn on?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 9 acd pump wont turn on?

I was trying to bleed my acd out today but i cant hear the pump turn on i tried to disconnect the pump but couldnt it was very hot burned my self also the resistor for it was clicking but the pump was silent..anyone know what i can do.. When i turn the car on my lights on tarmac but when i drive it past like 500 feet all 3 lights go solid. If anyone can give feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by V12KiLLa
I was trying to bleed my acd out today but i cant hear the pump turn on i tried to disconnect the pump but couldnt it was very hot burned my self also the resistor for it was clicking but the pump was silent..anyone know what i can do.. When i turn the car on my lights on tarmac but when i drive it past like 500 feet all 3 lights go solid. If anyone can give feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you are getting power to the pump but check to be sure with a test light at the pump plug. I have heard of 5 he motors binding and also have heard of the pump not building enough pressure. Give me feed back as I have just diagnosed and rebuilt my unit. Getting ready to do a relocation into my trunk to avoid any future issues
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V12KiLLa
What ended up happening with this cause this is where I'm at. I'm gonna test it with a test light today but just curious is you ever figured it out.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:47 AM

I am also in for an answer to this. My lights light up after driving for a long time so I attempted to bleed the pump. When I go key to the on position and accelerator to the floor I can hear the relay click, but no pump noise. I have not checked to see if the pump is hot or not yet. Will do that today.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Chances are your pump is corroded and the plate has seized up inside so it can no longer build pressure. Happens to all of us unfortunately. Your options are to attempt to rebuild the pump assuming you can get it apart without it breaking on you, find a used pump in good shape or pick up a new one from the dealer.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Chances are your pump is corroded and the plate has seized up inside so it can no longer build pressure. Happens to all of us unfortunately. Your options are to attempt to rebuild the pump assuming you can get it apart without it breaking on you, find a used pump in good shape or pick up a new one from the dealer.
Wouldn't wouldn't the lights be on full-time if this was the case? The lights only come on when very warm outside or after extended periods of driving.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Unfortunately that isnt the case. My car did the same thing where on warmer days it started to light up all 3 and then as time progressed it did it more frequently. My pump was toast. Sorry to deliver the bad news; just shooting your straight and telling it how it is...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Unfortunately that isnt the case. My car did the same thing where on warmer days it started to light up all 3 and then as time progressed it did it more frequently. My pump was toast. Sorry to deliver the bad news; just shooting your straight and telling it how it is...
Yup, unfortunately, it's a very common issue. Mine first happened on a very hot day 90°F+. Then it got worst and worst to where it would come on backing out of the garage. Had to plans to rebuild it until I had a closer look. The internals of the pump corroded so much, it expanded and cracked the pump housing.

My guess is the OP's pump is seized and trying to force it to spin is burning up the motor.

I swap my unit out with a used one from a member here. Works as it should now.