Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blend repaired panels or repaint whole car?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blend repaired panels or repaint whole car?

Evo is currently in the body shop being repaired from a rear end collision. I'm having a serious dilemma between having them paint and blend the repaired areas (rear bumper, right quarter, front bumper) or to have them just paint the whole car. I'm looking at an additional 2500-3k for them to repaint the car. I'm concerned about everything matching up color and metallic flake wise as she is my baby and I'm super meticulous about her.

Link to accident:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-options.html

Help me out here?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Unless you have them do a bare metal repaint (10k+), which involves media blasting the whole car etc... I would just have the repaired panels blended. If you aren't confident that this shop can meet your standards then take it else where. Don't accept the car back unless it is to your satisfaction.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Unless you have them do a bare metal repaint (10k+), which involves media blasting the whole car etc... I would just have the repaired panels blended. If you aren't confident that this shop can meet your standards then take it else where. Don't accept the car back unless it is to your satisfaction.
Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money to spend. I'm confident they will do a good job as I have seen their work in progress and talked to almost everyone that works there. I'm concerned with matching the flake and "glow" the car has in certain light.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:40 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If they are a good shop, they shouldn't have a problem with matching. Mitsubishi paint isn't really anything special. There are other brands which are much more difficult to match.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 06:56 PM

If I remember correctly there's only 2 color variations on GG. Its prime then lighter + more blue I believe. Prime is the popular color position for that code and the last car I sprayed was a dead nuts match. If there a half decent shop they should have no problem at all blending that off. Painting the entire vehicle for a hit like that would be a little excessive.